Heat, and How to Survive It

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

CG

Heat, and How to Survive It

Post by CG » Sun May 13, 2018 10:25 am

How does one go about increasing their heat tolerance? It's only May, and I'm already melting outside to the point where I'm considering only running errands before 10am because it's too freakin' hot walking across parking lots. It was almost 100F yesterday, and was still 90F at 8:30pm.

All the information I can find is directly linked to athletic performance. It might still be applicable to how to not pass out sitting in the shade (or the parking lot) in Texas, but I'm not completely sure. The general guidelines I'm finding seem to be working out in a warm environment or sauna and staying extra hydrated while you're doing it.

Any recommendations beyond repeated exposure while making sure to keep hydration and electrolytes up?
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

Stercutus

Re: Heat, and How to Survive It

Post by Stercutus » Sun May 13, 2018 12:10 pm

Any recommendations beyond repeated exposure while making sure to keep hydration and electrolytes up?
If you are young and healthy that is how the Army does it. Also in theory they adjust dress to keep up with higher temps and humidity, not so much in reality outside of entry level training.

Remember the heat index is a combination of high temperatures and high humidity. The humidity prevents the body from cooling itself effectively through lack of evaporation. This is why a "dry heat" is so much better than a damp heat.

When I was an advisor in Iraq and had the opportunity to run for pt I would always run in the hottest part of the day. This worked out well since most Iraqis were asleep at that time. A couple of miles in blazing heat and everything else was easy.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Brekar
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead - Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead - Zombieland - Dead Snow - etc...

Post by Brekar » Sun May 13, 2018 12:15 pm

Well when I lived in Az I didn't go out till it was dark. :clap: But in all honest I lived in Az for 10 years, and worked outside for nearly all of it, and even here in Mo, I work outside in every type of weather you can imagine, I have found what works for me.

A diet change. I found that laying off alcohol and caffeine helped greatly, eating better and losing weight all played a part in how bad heat bothered me, or didn't. Also what you are wearing might not be helping. I wear mostly neutral colors and looser clothing to work outside now and it helps a lot.
So now this time of year with it getting hotter I increase my intake of fluids greatly (I get water/Gatorade for free at work), and wear loose fitting clothing.

CG

Post by CG » Sun May 13, 2018 2:36 pm

Give up coffee? And wine?!?

*passes out at the thought*

OK, so it wouldn't be the craziest thing I've done. I'm currently eating better and losing weight. Changing how I dress would be an issue, only because the only money budgeted for clothes any time soon is to replace work clothes as I shrink, and those are going to be for office wear.

Part of it is definitely that I'm too much of a wimp and get too wiped out if I spend much time at all outside in the heat of the day.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun May 13, 2018 5:47 pm

CG wrote:Give up coffee? And wine?!?

*passes out at the thought*

OK, so it wouldn't be the craziest thing I've done. I'm currently eating better and losing weight. Changing how I dress would be an issue, only because the only money budgeted for clothes any time soon is to replace work clothes as I shrink, and those are going to be for office wear.

Part of it is definitely that I'm too much of a wimp and get too wiped out if I spend much time at all outside in the heat of the day.
As you shrink your clothes will become looser. It will probably be exactly what you need. Unless there is a LOT of shrinkage. A little sewing can usually alter things to fit better.

And less caffeine and wine can be a useful way to free up money for other things. Things like preps? I buy bullets, beans, and band-aids rather than alcohol, and I buy coffee to brew at home. I have nothing against any refreshing beverages, but my wife and I made a concious decision to put that money elsewhere, and part of it goes to preps. A small part. My part :)

I certainly think it is wise to get tougher. That will be important if anything crazy happens in your area. For me, I made bad decisions in the past and got heat injuries. And cold injuries. 20 years later they are less acute, but I still need to be aware and respectful of my limits.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Sun May 13, 2018 7:02 pm

+1 for conditioning.

I live in Northern Australia, so I get both dry heat and the humidity depending on where I am (eastern side of range or western), there is no fast way to get used to the heat, you just have to bear it.

+1 for loose clothing and water. I've found that when I'm in dry heat I don't feel thirsty as much, so I monitor how much water I've drunk. It should also be said, wear long clothes to protect against the sun, but wear clothing that can vent the heat quickly, so lots of vents and mesh panels.

+1 for working after dark, if you can't, then limit your daytime hours. during 100 degree (F) plus days, I would be up at 6, working outside from 0700 to around 1030, then inside. Afternoon from about 1630 to 1900. You could get away with more depending on your daylight hours
Vincent Tornado: 2013
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Sun May 13, 2018 7:31 pm

The only way I found to increase tolerance is to stay out in the heat longer while making sure you stay hydrated. Now, the heat I know of is deep south humid heat. If you want to mitigate it instead of getting used to it their are old time remedies. Wicker or Straw hats are a must, they let your head breathe but deflect the heat. If you were a man I would suggest seersucker clothing. I have never seen a lady wearing it though. These are usually in suit and pants form, though I have seen shorts as well. Stay away from denim like the plague. Where ladies have us beat is in dresses. A sun dress combined with the hats mentioned will keep you mighty cool. Pair that with a sandal of choice that provides support but is at least partly open and you should be fine. Other than that the only clothing that helps in humid heat I know of is true silk. Hope this helps :P
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Sun May 13, 2018 7:33 pm

I forgot to mention clothing made of canvas as well. That works and seems to be cheap.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

CG

Post by CG » Sun May 13, 2018 8:21 pm

The Twizzler wrote:The only way I found to increase tolerance is to stay out in the heat longer while making sure you stay hydrated. Now, the heat I know of is deep south humid heat. If you want to mitigate it instead of getting used to it their are old time remedies. Wicker or Straw hats are a must, they let your head breathe but deflect the heat. If you were a man I would suggest seersucker clothing. I have never seen a lady wearing it though. These are usually in suit and pants form, though I have seen shorts as well. Stay away from denim like the plague. Where ladies have us beat is in dresses. A sun dress combined with the hats mentioned will keep you mighty cool. Pair that with a sandal of choice that provides support but is at least partly open and you should be fine. Other than that the only clothing that helps in humid heat I know of is true silk. Hope this helps :P
I wear lots of skirts and dresses in the summer, and a straw hat and sandals.

I'm out in west Texas, so more desert, but I'm pretty sure of that would apply as well.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sun May 13, 2018 11:16 pm

In NOLA and MS the heat and humidity are truly life threatening if you do not stay hydrated.

The first rule is dress appropriately. That is why even today we have summer rules for business and formal events.

The second rule is drink plenty of fluids.

The third rule is to stay in the shade as much as possible.

Yes I know the OP asked about heat conditioning. However, getting heat stroke is not a good way to get in condition for the heat. The best way is to simply get out of the A/C and go outside. Stay hydrated during this first stint and follow the other 2 rules.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon May 14, 2018 3:58 am

I am willing to give up booze for the cause but caffeine? :ohdear: May as well stay inside as nothing is going to get done anyway.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

CG

Post by CG » Mon May 14, 2018 7:14 am

Stercutus wrote:I am willing to give up booze for the cause but caffeine? :ohdear: May as well stay inside as nothing is going to get done anyway.
Hubby asked if y'all are encouraging murder when I said that was a suggestion. :lol:
Mater tua caligas gerit!

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Mon May 14, 2018 11:39 am

Make sure you get enough salt as well as liquid, wash all creases in your body often to avoid perspiration salt cracking the skin (including the small of your back oddly enough) and a hand fan is your friend.

In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

CG

Post by CG » Mon May 14, 2018 12:35 pm

ZombieGranny wrote:Make sure you get enough salt as well as liquid, wash all creases in your body often to avoid perspiration salt cracking the skin (including the small of your back oddly enough) and a hand fan is your friend.
I electrolyte my water up. ;-)

And thank you for the reminder, I just ordered a new fan for this summer. My old one was getting rather ragged.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Last of the Mohicans, Caddyshack

Post by Asymetryczna » Mon May 14, 2018 1:09 pm

Acclimate. Start early - before the sun - and work further and further into the sun as you grow accustomed. If there is a period that you cannot work through -the effort is not worth the reward (and you have the choice)- sleep through it.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

Ershin

Post by Ershin » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:51 pm

It's not as hot where I live as you, but I struggle badly in summer regardless.

What helps me is basically cutting out hot food. Hot drinks too, but I don't really go in for those anyway. I also try to find ways to eat/drink cold things (cold as I can manage anyway, I have sensitive teeth :P).

I imagine you also have air conditioning, so this probably isn't as helpful, but I try to cycle the air out at night, using fans to blow air out of the window, and in from outside. This really lowers the in-room temperature, and I try to keep it down by putting up insulating blinds during the day.

To be fair, not exactly groundbreaking advice, but you mentioned drinking coffee, and unless its iced I can't even imagine doing that in summer. I effectively hibernate for two months every summer and the temperatures here virtually never get over 30 degrees C.

CG

Post by CG » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:32 am

Ershin wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:51 pm
It's not as hot where I live as you, but I struggle badly in summer regardless.

What helps me is basically cutting out hot food. Hot drinks too, but I don't really go in for those anyway. I also try to find ways to eat/drink cold things (cold as I can manage anyway, I have sensitive teeth :P).

I imagine you also have air conditioning, so this probably isn't as helpful, but I try to cycle the air out at night, using fans to blow air out of the window, and in from outside. This really lowers the in-room temperature, and I try to keep it down by putting up insulating blinds during the day.

To be fair, not exactly groundbreaking advice, but you mentioned drinking coffee, and unless its iced I can't even imagine doing that in summer. I effectively hibernate for two months every summer and the temperatures here virtually never get over 30 degrees C.
I still do hot coffee in the morning, but my drinks during the day are all cold. I've been doing protein shakes for 2 of my meals every day, and those have a pretty hefty dose of electrolytes in them.

We definitely have air conditioning. Even at night, it only gets down to about 75F or so. Cooler than during the day, but not cool enough. Right now it's 6:30am and it's still 77F outside.

I seem to be doing a bit better with the heat, but I'm also working on not spending too much extra time outdoors, especially during the heat of the day. Still need to be drinking a lot more water than I am.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:33 am

Cut out coffee!? That is heresy I tell you!

Seriously there is a reason sweet tea is a southern favorite. It has caffeine but at a lower level and is more palatable when cold.

Personally I prefer iced coffee.

The other thing to do is go to cooler place. A city is a heat island. My place in the woods typically has a 10 degrees cooler ambient temperature than my home in the city.

Start working at dawn and work until it hits 90f and then shut down until around 6pm and then work until it is too dark to see.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:10 pm

South Florida, beginning of Aug, Saturday.

Thru the 9th gate of hell to do the weekly yard work.

10am 89 degrees 60% humidity. 1pm 92 / 55%. [That's actually pretty cool today] Done, jump in the pool, fuck, the pool water is 96°.

Start drinking water before starting, but then during I mostly eat ice and put ice water on my ears, back of neck, and cap during equipment switches. Sweat is your friend. Acclimatization is your other friend. Hydration is god. Worship frequently.

Drink 2 cups of coffee with breakfast. Iced tea with lunch.

Come join Mac's heat training academy. Only one open slot per summer, so sign up now.

Curriculum:
Do my yardwork every Saturday in the summer.

Cost:
$100 per session. [Mention ZS and get 20% off the first session]

Result
You'll appreciate that it's not really that hot in your own AO.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”