Light reading

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Light reading

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:07 pm

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Re: Light reading

Post by Halfapint » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:20 pm

Well, aren't you doctor feel good today! hahaha
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:00 pm

I thought people would be interested in these....

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:13 am

I’m surprised people aren’t. I just saw it. I’ve read 2 I’d them before future earth and human extinction. Interesting stuff!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:55 am

I like Wikipedia a lot. Yes, you have to take everything you read with a grain of salt, but it serves as a good primer for just about any subject. Wikipedia articles rarely have all the depth in a single subject to get a deep understanding, and sometimes they can be a little opaque to the uninitiated in a particular field, but they link to other Wikipedia articles for background and related information, and original sources for deeper reference.

If you know nothing about a subject (or even if you think you already know everything), you can hardly go wrong by at least giving the Wikipedia article a quick read. And, as you've shared here, I'm always surprised by the articles you never even thought of searching for there. Thanks for the reading!
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:14 am

JayceSlayn wrote:I like Wikipedia a lot. Yes, you have to take everything you read with a grain of salt, but it serves as a good primer for just about any subject. Wikipedia articles rarely have all the depth in a single subject to get a deep understanding, and sometimes they can be a little opaque to the uninitiated in a particular field, but they link to other Wikipedia articles for background and related information, and original sources for deeper reference.

If you know nothing about a subject (or even if you think you already know everything), you can hardly go wrong by at least giving the Wikipedia article a quick read. And, as you've shared here, I'm always surprised by the articles you never even thought of searching for there. Thanks for the reading!
Dito. I practically live @ Wikipedia. . I love to start an article then just let the hyperlinks in the articles take me to related articles that get further and further from the subject I originally started on. .

Example Human extinction link page I find hyperlink to self replicating nano-bots which takes me to the Grey Goo page
"Grey goo
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the doomsday scenario. For the video game, see Grey Goo (video game).
Grey goo (also spelled gray goo) is a hypothetical end-of-the-world scenario involving molecular nanotechnology in which out-of-control self-replicating robots consume all biomass on Earth while building more of themselves,[1][2] a scenario that has been called ecophagy ("eating the environment", more literally "eating the habitation").[3] The original idea assumed machines were designed to have this capability, while popularizations have assumed that machines might somehow gain this capability by accident.

Self-replicating machines of the macroscopic variety were originally described by mathematician John von Neumann, and are sometimes referred to as von Neumann machines or clanking replicators. The term gray goo was coined by nanotechnology pioneer Eric Drexler in his 1986 book Engines of Creation.[4] In 2004 he stated, "I wish I had never used the term 'gray goo'."[5] Engines of Creation mentions "gray goo" in two paragraphs and a note, while the popularized idea of gray goo was first publicized in a mass-circulation magazine, Omni, in November 1986.[6]"

Haha Malloy You like robots ? Right ?

Although where Wikipedia shines the brightest is History.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Last of the Mohicans, Caddyshack

Post by Asymetryczna » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:56 am

you have to take everything you read with a grain of salt, but it serves as a good primer for just about any subject
I've often had this discussion with people especially after signing up as an editor. Someone argued that it is just a conglomeration of people's knowledge and opinions, which makes it much less factual and trustworthy than books that reflect the knowledge and opinion(s) of the author(s). One idea I've had was to set up a service with a one-time fee where we could build your very own bio on the Wikipedia site. Funny, I received an ad just yesterday from someone now advertising that service.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:27 am

flybynight wrote:I love to start an article then just let the hyperlinks in the articles take me to related articles that get further and further from the subject I originally started on.
I've had so many tabs open that it has caused my broswer to crash. Hehehe!
flybynight wrote:Haha Malloy You like robots ? Right ?
At least you can see an T-800 & engage it. :D

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”