How long can you store tap water without chlorinating? (UK)

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Ershin

How long can you store tap water without chlorinating? (UK)

Post by Ershin » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:10 pm

where I live we lose water around twice a year, usually for less than 12 hours, I don't think it's ever been longer than 24, but I could be wrong. I'm planning on storing a couple of weeks worth of water in the garage, but I don't want to break open a big barrel twice a year and have to rechlorinate it, in addition to normal rotation.

I've put a 25L jerry can in a cupboard (just over a days water for my house - 5 people and a dog) and I would like to just cycle the water every however-long to keep it good. Problem is, I can't find any guidelines on how long 'however-long' should be. Our water is chlorinated, but not to US levels (between 0.4-1% according to our water company's website).

So, my question is - if I fill a (clean) container with clean water and DO NOT add bleach, how long is it good for? The can is blue HDPE.
Or would I be better off chlorinating this, like long term storage?

K9medic

Re: How long can you store tap water without chlorinating? (UK)

Post by K9medic » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:24 pm

I have 3 Jerry cans of water in the house. Refill them every year (when I turn the clocks back, it's also when I change smoke alarm batteries) and never had a problem.
"small tin of sardines with easy ringpull (I don't understand why, but I carry it)" Redstain

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:42 pm

There are some good suggestions in this sticky thread.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=79725

Here is a good one written by a water plant technician
https://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtop ... 0#p1188590

As preps go fresh water is perhaps the most important and actually the cheapest prep you can have on hand. Tap water is very inexpensive. Ten cents of tap water gets you a lot of tap water. Water can always be cleaned and/or purified the only question is whether it is worth the trouble to do so.

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:39 pm

I keep a 5 gallon container filled with tap water and add a cap full of regular bleach. I empty and refill every 4 months. I have had no problems. The water tastes fine and no bad smells so it works. I keep it in my garage which is normally around 70 deg Fahrenheit. I just put a piece of tape on top of the container and write in permanent marker the fill date. It works for me. In the same garage is my water heater and it has 75 gallons of potable water so don't forget that as a good source of emergency water, just be sure to turn off the heating source if you tap it.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:42 am

I’ve found soda bottles to be the easiest to repurpose for water storage. 2 liters in the US, the only thing metric we Yanks like besides 9mm ammunition.

They clean easily and are very sturdy. Best of all they are free.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”