What gear are are my fellow officers carrying in rural areas

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Ghostdog914
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later

What gear are are my fellow officers carrying in rural areas

Post by Ghostdog914 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:07 pm

I recently took a part time job in a local town of about 1,500 people in SE Missouri. Upon my first shift I became the most experienced guy there. There is a chief and supposed to be two full time guys with about 8 reserves to round out the roster. There are no full time guys right now. It pays crap ($9.50 per hr) but they pay for continuing education hours. So I load what I feel comfortable with and get to work. When the senior guy meets me at shift change he comments that I'm carrying way too much gear in my bag and on me. I'm slightly paranoid and don't want to be caught without something. I've also worked bigger busier departments so I like to be ready. I was wearing IIIA soft armor, had my Spartan hard plates and carrier in the other front seat, had my RIA 1911 with 4 spares, my Taurus 24/7 G2 concealed under my vest and 2 extra mags for it, my AR in a soft case with 8 mags. I also have a military individual first aid kit, a cheap folding knife in a pocket, and 3 light sources not counting the surefire on the AR. Also 6 pair of flex cuffs and 2 steel sets. OC spray and bato. Round it out. Meth is still big in the town and a female reserve was assaulted about 6 weeks ago by a Galloping Goose OMC member who stays in the area. There is a elementary and high school, one bank, and some mom and pop stores with one stop and rob. So am I over doing it? This is less than I had when I was at a SD and less than I had when I was on a bigger muni full time. Sorry for the cheap gear but I've had to buy my own for the last few jobs and go frugal so I can get other stuff. Plus I like the grip angle on the 1911 and shoot well with it. Also there is almost never another guy on and the closest back up is 10-15 minutes out.

w3rdtoyamama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Re: What gear are are my fellow officers carrying in rural a

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:36 am

Wasnt sure if you were in Iraq or Missouri for a second.

Im not LE or any uniformed...but that does seem excessive. Not to say youre wrong for having it. You may need it at some point and glad to have it. I could very well be wrong. But if you feel comfortable with it all, thats all that matters. The senior guy may just be complacent though.
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:04 am

The State Patrol of Nebraska is extremely well trained and deals with a wide array of threats. They don't issue as much fighting gear as you listed.

On the other hand some officers feel the need to beef up their kit to the level you describe.

I have a buddy who carries a little less medical gear and fewer mags, maybe 1 less pistol mag and 4 less rifle mags. But then he actually carries 1 duty pistol and 1 backup, with a spare mag for the backup. And his total rounds carried on person is about 60? So take that for what it is worth. He might be up to 2 backup pistols now. He recently got a G42.

For medical he carries 2 TKs and whatever FAK he was issued.

So take that for what it is worth. He is fully trained with all his gear and carries above what he was issued. Mostly he carries more knives and pistols. And he has steel plates in the car for building searches and active shooters. And TKs in case he has to hunt through a big standing corn field for an armed meth head again.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:29 pm

Ghostdog914 wrote: Also there is almost never another guy on and the closest back up is 10-15 minutes out.
Not a LEO.

I have a place in rural MS. The closest street light, veterinarian, gas station, hardware store, grocery store and hospital is 20 minutes away at 60 mph.

If you (or I) need something that we do not have on hand; getting it can literally take a lifetime.

So no I do not think you are being paranoid. You are putting your life on the line and the fact that you may not have help for 15 minutes is and should be of concern to you.

I think you should review what you have on a regular basis and make a note of what is used all the time. These are things that you need to have two or three of on hand (two is one and one is none).

Flashlights (2 and a spare) and replacement batteries, spare ammo, spare comms (does your cell phone have coverage in most of your area? If not does another carrier work better?) an in depth FAK with trauma kit, spare clothing, a towel, toiletries, basic food and water are all items that IMO you must have out in the boonies.

Other things to consider:
Small hand tools like screwdrivers, channel locks, vice grips, crescent wrench, pry bar (for car wrecks)
Heavy work gloves
a roll of duct tape

My $.02.

Ghostdog914
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later

Post by Ghostdog914 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:23 pm

I was curious. My other job each car is equipped with AR and three mags, 12 gauge and 5 each of buck and slug, and everyone carries a back up. The rifle mags I have are just because I keep the most of my spares in the pouches on the case. I am quite happy to ditch stuff as it's heavy except for the first aid stuff. The plate carrier is due to the drunken hill people that live in the area that typically don't own a pistol but have 5 different hunting rifles. I'm kind of in the middle because I believe my job is to serve the community and be approachable so I just wear my class A uni to be as non threatening as I can be at 6'8 275. No outer carriers no 5.11 pants. But I try to account for the next to no chance of an active shooter or domestic gone very wrong. Since this is a preparation type of place I figured you guys and gals would have a practical outlook I could incorporate.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:38 pm

Ghostdog914 wrote: The plate carrier is due to the drunken hill people that live in the area that typically don't own a pistol but have 5 different hunting rifles.
I am not a LEO but I live in a violent city so I there is a plate carrier in my trunk. :wink:

Your job may require that you run (drive) to the sound of the gunfire. However, your primary job is go home safe and alive. Carry the the plates.

That said I suspect the the probability of responding to a bad car wreck is high so gloves, pry bar and FAK are likely to be in demand. Hopefully the plate carrier will gather dust.
Last edited by raptor on Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:31 pm

Why not look into concealable plates and a concealable carrier?
Wear it underneath your shirt. Can't run AR pouches on it, but you could have a chest rig or something for that.

ancient_serpent

Post by ancient_serpent » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:05 pm

We have rural bits of my city, this is what I carry on me and in my car:

Person: Glock 34 with 3 spare magazine, a backup Walther PPKS .380 with a spare mag, Cold Steel extra large voyager, CAT tourniquet, micro IFAK, X2 Taser, pepper spray, Level IIA vest, mini-Stream light, Surefire G2 combat light.

Vehicle: SWAT vest with level III front, back and side plates, level IIIA helmet with integrated Peltor hearing protection/commo, 5 AR mags, 4 pistol mags (2 of the rifle mags, 2 pistol mags and the Hissatsu) are on a HSGI battle belt, CRKT Hissatsu combat knife, Cold Steel Spartan knife, Colt M4 with a Aimpoint and inforce rail mounted light, Remongton 870 breaching shotgun, chemlights, and a Raptor breaching tool. IFAK mounted on HSGI belt, tourniquets on vest and belt, zip cuffs on back of vest.

I also have an emergency plate carrier with three more AR mags, 2 extra pistol mags, extra IFAK, Boker Ginger Fighter combat knife, Howard Leight (spelling?) hearing protection.

I have quick clot and combat gauze in my IFAK kits. I plan to have enough training and equipment to solve issues I'm likely or unlikely to face.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:16 pm

I don't think you have too much stuff, but you may have too much on your person. Most duty cops are at a serious risk for hip/back issues for carrying everything on their duty belts. I would just get creative with how you carry stuff.

I would try and put as much of your kit in one bag as possible. Get a nice AR load-out bag and keep all your gear in or on it. Put it in the trunk. I would just carry light gear on day to day stuff. If you need it, you'll have it. It will be easy to move back and forth from your shifts.

If there's stuff you need in the cab but don't need on your belt (FAK, tools, baton, extra cuffs) keep that in a small bag. That way you have all your gear organized and don't look like your batman with a crazy utility belt.

Most small town cops I've seen basically carry a side arm, extra mag, and cuffs on their belt and that's it. Of course, that's farm sheriff that wears jeans and a polo.

Ever consider switching out your 1911?
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:30 pm

Here is what I carry:

- IIIA soft armor (check)
- Spartan hard plates and carrier in the other front seat (I keep mine in the trunk, unless I think I need it, not often, Level IV)
- RIA 1911 with 4 spares (we carry two spares but for 17rd mags for duty weapon)
- Taurus 24/7 G2 concealed under my vest and 2 extra mags for it (I don't carry extra mags for BUG)
- AR in a soft case with 8 mags (We are mandated to carry exactly 90 rounds)
- A military individual first aid kit (I have two, one in the car for quick access, one on my armor PC for events away from the car)
- a cheap folding knife in a pocket (I keep an auto blade Gerber but not in the pocket)
- 3 light sources not counting the surefire on the AR (Lost count of these, work nights)
- 6 pair of flex cuffs and 2 steel sets (I keep only two pairs of flex cuffs, both on the armor, four pairs of steel total, two in car)
- OC spray and baton (I keep spray but I don't use impact weapons. Most guys run from me and don't fight [I'm big], when they do fight it is over really fast)

Also for me-

- Steiner compact binoculars
- Taser (agency)
- Body Cam (agency)
- SBS, extra rounds on plate carrier and side saddle (agency)
- I have an area light with a magnetic base for working wrecks and taking reports
- Jacket, rain gear, reflective vest, gloves (several pairs), day and night eye protection, watch cap.
- Auto kit with jumper cables, tow cable, mini-compressor, work gloves, warning triangle, mini-jump pack etc
- Four way lug wrench
- Gerber multi-tool
- CAT carried on me (some version with a metal rod tightener, not sure of name)
- Level III Ballistic helmet (I have never used this)
- For wrecks - Measure wheel, laser measure, chalk

If they are paying you less than $10/hr then the agency likely has no money to buy any gear either. Our agency is small but recently they have done ok in providing us with stuff not decades out of date. Our agency for example did not have radios in all the cars until 2001, no computers till 2012.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:49 pm

Stercutus wrote:Here is what I carry:

- IIIA soft armor (check)
- Spartan hard plates and carrier in the other front seat (I keep mine in the trunk, unless I think I need it, not often, Level IV)
- RIA 1911 with 4 spares (we carry two spares but for 17rd mags for duty weapon)
- Taurus 24/7 G2 concealed under my vest and 2 extra mags for it (I don't carry extra mags for BUG)
- AR in a soft case with 8 mags (We are mandated to carry exactly 90 rounds)
- A military individual first aid kit (I have two, one in the car for quick access, one on my armor PC for events away from the car)
- a cheap folding knife in a pocket (I keep an auto blade Gerber but not in the pocket)
- 3 light sources not counting the surefire on the AR (Lost count of these, work nights)
- 6 pair of flex cuffs and 2 steel sets (I keep only two pairs of flex cuffs, both on the armor, four pairs of steel total, two in car)
- OC spray and baton (I keep spray but I don't use impact weapons. Most guys run from me and don't fight [I'm big], when they do fight it is over really fast)

Also for me-

- Steiner compact binoculars
- Taser (agency)
- Body Cam (agency)
- SBS, extra rounds on plate carrier and side saddle (agency)
- I have an area light with a magnetic base for working wrecks and taking reports
- Jacket, rain gear, reflective vest, gloves (several pairs), day and night eye protection, watch cap.
- Auto kit with jumper cables, tow cable, mini-compressor, work gloves, warning triangle, mini-jump pack etc
- Four way lug wrench
- Gerber multi-tool
- CAT carried on me (some version with a metal rod tightener, not sure of name)
- Level III Ballistic helmet (I have never used this)
- For wrecks - Measure wheel, laser measure, chalk

If they are paying you less than $10/hr then the agency likely has no money to buy any gear either. Our agency is small but recently they have done ok in providing us with stuff not decades out of date. Our agency for example did not have radios in all the cars until 2001, no computers till 2012.
RIA 1911 with 4 spares (we carry two spares but for 17rd mags for duty weapon)
I'm unclear what you meant by this. Do you carry the 1911 in addition to a duty sidearm or is this your main sidearm ?
I'm fascinated by what is being related here. I'm not LEO of course but I can find useful information that can be used in a Bug out/GHB ,emergency situation. I'm intrigued by the number and manner of the knives carried also. I have always carried multiple edged implements ( as I type this I have four on my person . A folder and three different style multi tools) Two in my CCW/Ammo satchel that goes in my vehicle and at least another four in my get home bag and while I'm way past that point of age/strength and agility to use them as a weapon ( I lost three inches of height in the last two years :( ) old habits die hard. Though I can't recall reading or hearing of a single LEO incident where they had to fall back to their knife to defend their life.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:38 pm

The people I know carry knives in case a fight breaks out in a car or someone grabs for a gun and gets all handsy.

My criminal justice professor had a lot of stories of knife fights. He would bring his fists. Wrap one arm with his jacket to take the hits from the knife. The damage to his hand/arm made me decide if someone pulled a knife I'd pull a gun. That stuff is for life.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:42 pm

Yes, if you're in a knife fight you can pretty much guarantee you'll get a few cuts.
I'm not sure I've ever come through one completely unscathed.
(Leather jackets are good, cows have thicker skin than humans.)
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:56 am

I'm unclear what you meant by this. Do you carry the 1911 in addition to a duty sidearm or is this your main sidearm ?
I'm fascinated by what is being related here. I'm not LEO of course but I can find useful information that can be used in a Bug out/GHB ,emergency situation. I'm intrigued by the number and manner of the knives carried also. I have always carried multiple edged implements ( as I type this I have four on my person . A folder and three different style multi tools) Two in my CCW/Ammo satchel that goes in my vehicle and at least another four in my get home bag and while I'm way past that point of age/strength and agility to use them as a weapon ( I lost three inches of height in the last two years :( ) old habits die hard. Though I can't recall reading or hearing of a single LEO incident where they had to fall back to their knife to defend their life.
His duty sidearm is a 1911, mine is an M&P. Some of the more rural departments still carry the old 1911 war horse. Our SD allows them as an option still and even as the recommended option. I prefer less weight and more rounds myself. Most officers carry a BUG of some type.

I know a few officers that carry a 1911 as a BUG, mostly in vehicle carry. I am not a fan of this strategy.

On knives. Yes, officers still defend themselves with knives but it is a real rarity.

http://www.news9.com/story/20617711/tul ... ab-his-gun

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-08-14/ ... bs-suspect

I can recall another case more local, not in the news, where the officer had a weapon malfunction when the person being arrested grabbed at his gun, got the gun away from the officer and started hitting the officer with it. The officer pulled out an auto folder and cut the suspect open from above the left nipple to the liver. The offender fought on for a few minutes being stabbed several times until collapsing, likely from blood loss. The offender lived.

I use my knife to cut things with but it is also there for back up which I have never even considered going to. Figure that scene in The Book of Eli where Eli is down to his pocket knife.
Shall be my brother

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:34 pm

Stercutus wrote:
His duty sidearm is a 1911, mine is an M&P. Some of the more rural departments still carry the old 1911 war horse. Our SD allows them as an option still and even as the recommended option. I prefer less weight and more rounds myself. Most officers carry a BUG of some type.

I know a few officers that carry a 1911 as a BUG, mostly in vehicle carry. I am not a fan of this strategy.

On knives. Yes, officers still defend themselves with knives but it is a real rarity.

http://www.news9.com/story/20617711/tul ... ab-his-gun

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-08-14/ ... bs-suspect

I can recall another case more local, not in the news, where the officer had a weapon malfunction when the person being arrested grabbed at his gun, got the gun away from the officer and started hitting the officer with it. The officer pulled out an auto folder and cut the suspect open from above the left nipple to the liver. The offender fought on for a few minutes being stabbed several times until collapsing, likely from blood loss. The offender lived.

I use my knife to cut things with but it is also there for back up which I have never even considered going to. Figure that scene in The Book of Eli where Eli is down to his pocket knife.
His duty sidearm is a 1911, mine is an M&P
Yea that was what I was unclear about. I couldn't tell if you were referring to his 1911 or that you carried one too.
What Zombie Granny and wood ghost said. I was told by those who had had experience that you nearly always never left a knife fight uninjured. The one time I did use a knife in defense I got pretty banged up good by the clubs the two guys were carrying . So not really so much a knife fight as much as batting practice.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

jor-el

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/15/lawyer-el-chapo-eager-t

Post by jor-el » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:01 pm

I've been a little busy.

You dance with what you bring to the party. Myself, on the clock I carry a Glock. A 23 with Win Ranger 165 bonded JHPs and two spare mags courtesy USMS. The OP omitted what he uses for service ammo, and that's kind of important.

Curious if the OP rocks a helmet. On my old job helmets were a big bone of contention. Veterans and rookies alike want ballistic protection, while city bosses want low profile appearance.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

Stercutus

Re: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/15/lawyer-el-chapo-eag

Post by Stercutus » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:55 am

jor-el wrote:I've been a little busy.

You dance with what you bring to the party. Myself, on the clock I carry a Glock. A 23 with Win Ranger 165 bonded JHPs and two spare mags courtesy USMS. The OP omitted what he uses for service ammo, and that's kind of important.

Curious if the OP rocks a helmet. On my old job helmets were a big bone of contention. Veterans and rookies alike want ballistic protection, while city bosses want low profile appearance.
You worked in the rural part of NYC?
Shall be my brother

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Re: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/15/lawyer-el-chapo-eag

Post by LowKey » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:58 pm

Stercutus wrote:my old job helmets were a big bone of contention. Veterans and rookies alike want ballistic protection, while city bosses want low profile appearance.
You worked in the rural part of NYC?[/quote]
If so, that would be Staten Island.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:00 am

I was thinking Anthrax Island but ok.
Shall be my brother

yadayada

Post by yadayada » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:26 pm

No brother, you are not carrying too much gear. If you never need it, oh well. If you need it, you'll be glad you have it.

I have been there, done that. All those who have not, your entitiled to your opinion, but it is just that, an unqualified opinion. For those of you who have done it what was issued and made it through, good on you, well done. But dont fault those who want a little more.

doci869
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, Night of the living dead(old and new), anything relating to the ZPAW, well almost anything

Post by doci869 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:17 pm

In my AO I keep my hard plates (concealed vest on me of course) on the passenger seat with 4 AR mags in double pouches and Trauma kit on the shoulder. 2 30 rd mags duplex in the rifle behind me that has a scout light attached. 870/forend light with velcro shotgun card attached and several more cards velcro'd around the truck. I carry 4 extra mags on my belt for my Glock 22 w/Light, X2 Taser, 2 hinge in a double up front. Leatherman and 26" baton behind my sidearm. Stinger and portable radio on my offside. I don't play well with OC so I dont carry it on me but in the door along side extra cuffs and 2 extra pistol mags and 2 rifle mags in the driver door and a spare pistol and rifle in the passenger door. All my guys keep a GSW kit under the passenger headrest so everyone knows where its at on all the vehicles. I also carry a Streamlight AA flashlight in my pocket and a CRKT that has a tanto blade with window punch and seat belt cutter built in in the sap pocket. I drive a Silverado crew 1500 with a aluminum bed cover and vault in the bed. It would take a lot longer to cover the goodies I carry in back along side my standard gear. I do carry the full sized stanley fubar, axe, shovel and truckers pal in back. I also carry zip cuffs in the back a 100 pack is what they give us!

When I started my career I would bring people back to my vehicle for traffic stops, I do not do that anymore, I do everything out front of the vehicle in front of the camera. I do it because I don't want to fight anyone in the front seat with a knife or gun.

Do you think your carrying too much gear? That's for you to decide! Just remember, it's better to have and not need than need and not have!

Catshooter

Post by Catshooter » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:14 pm

The only thing I think you're carrying too much of is weight.

Don't listen to those that say it's too much. Will they be there to take the bullet for you? The knife cut?

Listen to your heart and then protect it. You only get the one, usually.

Cat

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”