It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 'Fear-Profittering'
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:46 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

From CNBC: Meet the doomsday prepper making millions selling bomb shelters to people afraid of Trump
Quote:
Clyde Scott didn't expect to be so busy or so popular. He started building underground bunkers during the Obama administration for clients who feared the government would take away their property and their guns.

But the election of Donald Trump only increased business by bringing him a new clientele — Californians and New Yorkers afraid of nuclear war.

"We've had liberals coming out of the woodwork to protect themselves," the 38-year-old Texan said. Right after Trump's election, "business went out the roof. I'd say 500 to 700 percent in one month."

The change has not gone unnoticed. Scott has become famous for his bunker manufacturing facility called Rising S Company (named for Jesus Christ, "the rising Son"). He's appeared in major newspapers and on network television.

Clyde Scott turned a storm shelter business into a multimillion dollar bunker business.

His multimillion-dollar bunkers equipped with lap pools and gun rooms have become subplots for popular TV shows like Showtime's "Billions."

Tabloids even report he's building a bunker for Kanye West and Kim Kardashian, something Scott won't talk about. "What's really important about having your shelter is the secrecy of it."

Hey, guess what??? "Strange Success" is now a podcast! Learn more about Rising S and their doomsday bunkers -- plus a whole lot of other strange successes by subscribing to the podcast. You can listen to it free on Apple podcasts! Click here to get started.

The idea of building bunkers that can survive a nuclear bomb was supposed to be a niche business for Scott, who already made a decent living building storm shelters. Eight years ago, a woman asked him to build a really big storm shelter.

"I'm like, 'What do you mean by really big?'

"She's like, 'I want it 40 feet in length.'"

Scott realized that wasn't a shelter; that was a bunker. He expanded his steel fabrication capabilities to accommodate her. "Before I finished that one, someone else had ordered one. Before I finished that next one, someone else ordered one."

Clients can customize the interiors of the bunkers.

Scott eventually took $3 million from his storm shelter business and poured it into creating the bunker company.

The new venture fit Scott's personality. "I was raised as a prepper," he said. "Nuclear war was always coming."

He remains concerned that war is imminent, that an attack will take down the grid, that stores will soon be cleared of food and supplies, and that people will turn on each other. "We are the longest living government in the history of the world without a complete collapse, the United States," Scott said solemnly. "It's our time."

Clyde Scott said business has increased more than 500 percent since President Trump was elected.

It's also his time. Rising S has a backlog of work stretching out more than a year. The most popular bunker he sells measures 500 square feet and costs $125,000. It's set 11 feet underground and topped by four feet of dirt and one foot of concrete.

Inside are bedrooms, bathrooms, a kitchen, pantry, along with an air filtration system, solar power, hidden doors, reinforced locks, and water purifiers that connect to an underground tank. Everything is off the grid, and everything is made from stainless steel.

"I've put in more tunnels and underground bunkers than El Chapo," he said.

Scott said his biggest mistake was not expanding quickly early on. "I woke up one day, and I told my wife: 'I really need to buy a new machine — it was for breaking metal — but it's $40,000."

He wasn't sure he should take the risk. His wife asked him about his backlog, and Scott said he had four months' work. "She's like, 'Then why wouldn't you buy it?' I was like, 'I don't know, I'm scared every day that business isn't going to grow.'"

In 2017, revenues topped $9 million, says Scott, and he's negotiating with a celebrity to build a single bunker worth more than $10 million.

The most expensive bunkers Rising S builds often double as elaborate man caves for their wealthy owners.

"I'm working on one right now in California, for example, that you pull into a metal building, you hit a button, and the elevator lets your car down and you drive into your shelter," Scott said. "I've done a shelter for a dentist, and the entire theme for his bunker was to literally go hide from his wife and get drunk."

Rising S recently saw a 65 percent jump in units sold, in large part due to a new market for smaller bunkers in Japan. Scott's also increased the size of his two manufacturing facilities and boosted employment as he takes on more defense work—work he is not at liberty to describe. Scott said he's been offered hundreds of thousands of dollars to franchise the business, but he's turned the money down, preferring to retain complete control. "This is supposed to save someone's life. If it doesn't do its job, the casualty is going to be death."

There's only one thing that Scott believes could ruin business: a peaceful world. But he thinks that's unlikely. "The more politicians talk, the busier I get."

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

"When society is experiencing severe disruptions, or is being completely interrupted, people have the responsibility to handle their own and their nearest relatives' fundamental needs for a while."

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: 'Fear-Profittering'
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:34 pm 

Doesn't matter who is in office, people fear something and some dumb schmuck genius will make money off of it. I applaud this man, good job keep the money rolling just don't forget to save!

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:01 pm 

I'm fascinated by this guy and very interested in the fact that concern over the future is crossing party lines. Personally I'd bet some on the Right are also concerned with nuclear war. But I'm guessing most on the Right who could afford bunkers have already bought them.

I'm also interested in the idea of a "celebrity bunker maker." And I also see allusions to Vault Tec if we see more brand name bunkers in the future.

We live in interesting times!

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:12 pm 

woodsghost wrote:
I'm fascinated by this guy and very interested in the fact that concern over the future is crossing party lines. Personally I'd bet some on the Right are also concerned with nuclear war. But I'm guessing most on the Right who could afford bunkers have already bought them.

I'm also interested in the idea of a "celebrity bunker maker." And I also see allusions to Vault Tec if we see more brand name bunkers in the future.

We live in interesting times!

I posted about this in the firearms thread. I've got a LOT of people on the left of the political spectrum. I don't advertise that I have firearms but if you're a friend you probably know that I have some. I have been absolutely bombarded by friends asking me to take them shooting and to teach them firearm safety. Many of these people have always been very ANTI gun, who are now warming up to the possibility of shooting and even owning.

Interesting times indeed.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...