It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:29 am 

If you lack situational awareness, forget all the rest. It's important to have a great set of skills and tools to survive, but if there would be one single skill to have, it would be situational awareness, by far!

You must be constantly aware of your surroundings. What's happening around you? Whore are those people? Could any of them be a thread?

Planning is also part of situational awareness. Are you going to take a trip? What's the weather you should expect? What's the path or which roads will you take? At what time will you leave and arrive? At what points you should stop for food and gad? If there any relevant event happening in my way?

Observing your sorroundings is important. I saw people getting inside of a small shop while it was being robbed (yes, he got himself robbed too). I saw trees falling in people's head (with plenty of time to escape). I saw multiple people getting hit by cars while crossing streets while playing their smartphones, or not listening the accident behind them because they were running with headphones.

Go to Youtube and watch some videos about zero situational awareness, where you will see unbelievebles and funndy cases. Or search for robbery and try to imagine how a good situational awareness could have avoid them.

Situational awareness is about being smart, is predicting the future and acting beforehand to reduce risks. This is so important not only for survivalism, but for other aspects of your life too.

Source: https://greypizza.com/forum/index.php?topic=27.0

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:08 pm 

Words to live by.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:15 pm 

maze wrote:
If you lack situational awareness, forget all the rest. It's important to have a great set of skills and tools to survive, but if there would be one single skill to have, it would be situational awareness, by far!

You must be constantly aware of your surroundings. What's happening around you? Whore are those people? Could any of them be a thread?

Planning is also part of situational awareness. Are you going to take a trip? What's the weather you should expect? What's the path or which roads will you take? At what time will you leave and arrive? At what points you should stop for food and gad? If there any relevant event happening in my way?

Observing your sorroundings is important. I saw people getting inside of a small shop while it was being robbed (yes, he got himself robbed too). I saw trees falling in people's head (with plenty of time to escape). I saw multiple people getting hit by cars while crossing streets while playing their smartphones, or not listening the accident behind them because they were running with headphones.

Go to Youtube and watch some videos about zero situational awareness, where you will see unbelievebles and funndy cases. Or search for robbery and try to imagine how a good situational awareness could have avoid them.

Situational awareness is about being smart, is predicting the future and acting beforehand to reduce risks. This is so important not only for survivalism, but for other aspects of your life too.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:42 pm 

HA Ha ha irony, yea yes like a warm glass of beer, still gets you drunk mmmn just nod

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:48 am 

Years ago I read an article in a BMW motorcycle owners magazine. A reader asked a safety expert which maneuver was more effective in avoiding a motorcycle collision, braking or swerving. The expert said neither, that situational awareness was the key. He then went on to say that if a rider finds themselves in a scenario where they had to decide whether to brake or swerve they already lost. Head on a swivel, read the flow of traffic and avoid bottlenecks.
All the gadgets, all the training in the world will not save someone operating in Condition White.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:45 pm 

Stercutus wrote:
maze wrote:

Umm, I don't get it?

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:48 pm 

woodsghost wrote:
Stercutus wrote:
maze wrote:

Umm, I don't get it?

That's ok.

So long as you keep wandering around in the woods taking pictures and posting them on line we can still be friends.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:11 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Stercutus wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

Umm, I don't get it?

That's ok.

So long as you keep wandering around in the woods taking pictures and posting them on line we can still be friends.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:26 am 

Nice suggestion :lol: