It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:55 am 

Hey all

My daughter who is nearly 16 came to me to ask me for more Christmas ideas for me, after I had put together a list for the family. She has her own baking biz and usually fairly flush with cash. But she is currently pretty broke since she got behind at school with so many sports activities + high intensity customer orders taking big chunks of time, so she has taken a break recently from earning. School grades came roaring back but the time off hit her in the checkbook. So she was hoping for some less expensive ideas. I want to reward her for her generous nature and her diligence on grades in addition to her hardworking nature, so I said I'd put some thought and effort into it.

She's thinking more numerous but lower ticket items. $1-$3-$5 items.

I thought this would be a great exercise for us to zero in on what would be good gifts you'd like to receive as a prepper, but on a super tight budget. Also perfect for younger children who want to give gifts and could use an education or reinforcement in the prep mentality.

Things like a can of veggies as a stocking stuffer or a jug of water under the tree aren't going to make the "gift" cut. Useful and thoughtful to the recipient to be sure, but not at all typically seen as cool or compelling in the eyes of the giver. A big bucket of lead wheel weights would be awesome for me at $0.10 a pound that lead WW is going for, but it just won't fly. Plus it's hard to wrap, super heavy not to mention dirty. lol

• Paracord immediately came to mind. I don't have any. :shock: And she's quite craft-y.
  • Cheap Work gloves (GHB, car bag, etc) I'm very ok being redundant & using lower quality, but I already have several all over the place
  • Salvation Army / Goodwill / Garage sale items (camping, tools, kitchen items like crockpots, etc)
  • eBooks / iPhone apps (which ones?)
  • Fishing line / small tackle
  • Less supplies-y and more tools-y or directly useful long term

I also thought of non-tangible items, such as...

• Father/daughter range time (ladies night FTW, she hasn't gone shooting ever yet!)
  • Cooking lessons (her teaching me) or maybe a class for both of us (courtesy of YouTube + grocery run)
  • Baking gifts to send the family (she has done that previously)
  • Charity participation (volunteering together)
  • Automotive repair classes (maybe a little baking barter to a mechanic friend)
  • A day at a farm (just for the fun of it)
  • Horseback riding (something I know she's interested in but scared of)

What would you add to the list?

Brass made for & only used by the US armed forces, well suited for reloading.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:46 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

That's the spirit. Great idea.
Quote:
“Can of veggies.”
Nice.
-Add to the paracord a FREE download on paracord knots that ChicagoZombie finds quite frequently so that one can read on any electronics using a free kindle app, or a list of links to paracord sites printed nicely on a small card.
-Hardback books are $1.99 at Goodwill; Paperback books are .99 ~ inscribed personally within every good one strives to become the Book of Eli.
-A coupon for one entire day dedicated to fishing with dad. You can give her a small kit then but your stuff is her stuff; so…
-An hour with a mechanic explaining basics.
-Perhaps the best gift to give a kid is 3 coupons that say "Day with Dad" that they could play at a time of their choosing during the year to ensure that they got your undivided attention. You would have to commit to stopping what you are doing and doing exactly what they wanted to do. (I didn't/couldn't of done it but might try 1 coupon per this year ;)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:07 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

The focus on gifts should be on the recipient and and their wishes, of course. But a father daughter relationship is special. I'm not sure how fulfilling it would be for a girl to give her daddy a hank of paracord, a can of flava beans or a battered mess kit found at a local Salvation Army thrift shop. Just sayin.

I'd tell my girl (and to a father, she's always your 'girl') that if money's short, a hand made gift, a pan of brownies or a DVD/Netflix movie night with her Dad would be more meaningful than any random prepper-related knickknack.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:19 pm 

Thx for the replies - I appreciate them.

I told her the same sorts of things. She just wants more ideas. She does know what I like, why, and that I'm totally a prepper. But she's also at the age that style & cool factor definitely matter and I'm trying to give her some ammo. That's why the intangibles came up in general.

:)

Brass made for & only used by the US armed forces, well suited for reloading.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:20 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

majorhavoc wrote:
The focus on gifts should be on the recipient and and their wishes, of course. But a father daughter relationship is special. I'm not sure how fulfilling it would be for a girl to give her daddy a hank of paracord, a can of flava beans or a battered mess kit found at a local Salvation Army thrift shop. Just sayin.

I'd tell my girl (and to a father, she's always your 'girl') that if money's short, a hand made gift, a pan of brownies or a DVD/Netflix movie night with her Dad would be more meaningful than any random prepper-related knickknack.

+1,000

You seem to have a hard working kid... business, school, sports... all at 16. Her time will be her most valuable commodity. I know every year, my parents always tell me not to get them anything for birthday/Christmas (I'm a poor grad student), but I can never bring myself not to at least get them something even if small. So I understand you trying to find something cheap for your daughter so she can feel like she contributed. I really like your list of "non-tangible" items the most though.

But, if you explain to her that time is more valuable than material things, especially in her crazy busy life, she won't feel like she's letting you down. I would tell her to make coupons on the computer and print them out... 3 coupons for dinner/movie nights with dad would be very special.

But if not, I like your ideas for cheap gifts. I always get my dad a cheap $10 pocket knife. He uses them everyday at work and always texts me that he's thinking of me when he uses them. And when they break or wear out, another holiday rolls around where I get him another cheap blade. Even a key-chain tool is great because you use your keys everyday, and you'll always think of your daughter.

Here are two things I put on my keychain I use almost 4 times a week.

Gerber keychain knife. SUper beefy. Take the lanyard off and attach it to a keyring
https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-GDC-Zip-B ... pper+knife

Leatherman brewzer. It has a sharp edge that can open packages but not cut you.
https://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-Brewz ... ds=brewzer

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:20 am 

I probably spent way too much time thinking about this..but I came up with nothing but what already has been mentioned. Seems like the coupons for quality time would be best.

Im 27 no kids but in my teen years, that my dad would say that. Spend time doing whatever. Movies, sporting events, catch in the yard.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:52 pm 

I'm confused. Cheap prepper gifts, and nobody's mentioned toilet paper yet?

*looks at price of toilet paper*

Nevermind. :lol:

Random things I haven't seen listed yet:

Can opener/P-38
Flashlight
Little Kleenex packets
Baby wipes
Corkscrew
Good chocolate
Canister of fuel for whatever stove you have
A backpacking dinner/dessert
Replacement items for a first aid kid (minimus.biz)

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:56 pm 

More:

Individual packets of hot chocolate/gourmet coffee (seems luxurious, still cheap as hell) - can be in a spiffy mug from Goodwill
Clothing repair kit - safety pins, buttons, thread
Fishing kit - hooks, weights, line
Shoelaces ('cause you never have enough of them, right?)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:00 pm 

Those paper towels that come in little pellets and expand when you get them wet
Carabiners, carabiners, and more carabiners
Zip ties
Duct tape
Altoids (I consider them to be practically medicine, 'cause of the way they open up everything when you're feeling stuffy)
Rain ponchos
Foil emergency blankets
Glow sticks