It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2017 The year to prep!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:35 pm 

Location: Alabama-Land of low taxes, lots of guns and more meth labs than you can count!
Has anyone noticed how many vendors had sales in September, and again after Thanksgiving into this weekend? We have been planning to stock up on enough food to last 2 months, but after all the sales we have almost 3 months and are a good deal under budget. When everything gets here we are in good shape. Hope Yellowstone doesn't blow before January 1.

I looked at a dozen different methods of "survival" food. Some are just lame, others are just not feasible. Who is eating MRE's or potato soup for 60 days? Not yours truly! I went about by being practical, spreading the meals out into different types and adding a few comfort items. Looked at one important point, "What would I most miss if the stores closed." The texture of meat for sure, junk food and sweets. Imagine months without chocolate or a hamburger?

So we have an assortment of MRE's, canned meats, and freeze dried as well as canned veggies and meat/pasta dishes. We have foods that can be evacuated with as well as stuff to bake and cook with. Have the capability of cooking outside as well as on site water gathering. We have land for firewood and a large tract of land to relocate if needed. Also have propane storage, fuel storage and generators, and chocolate. :lol:

All I need is a hole in the earth with a bunker. Then they will write me up as a crazy prepper waiting for the end of earth. Rather be thought of as a nut job as one of those poor folks standing in line for eight hours waiting for a FEMA skittle meal.

Woods Walker wrote:
If their shit was any tighter the carbon within would be turned to diamonds.

Put me down for M14, XD45 and Pie

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:04 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

I agree I have been replenishing my soon to expire stuff a year early. I normally do this each year in January but the sales have caught my eye also. So 2018 and 2019 expiration items are being replaced.

Anyone see any sales on FAK items?

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:48 am 

I went overboarding on Mountain House few years ago...so I don't have much room left. Woops. But its a few months worth at least.

I also buy canned stuff on sale and am very well stocked there for a little while.

I can't say much on FAK since I havent looked into that much lately.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:17 am 

raptor wrote:
I agree I have been replenishing my soon to expire stuff a year early. I normally do this each year in January but the sales have caught my eye also. So 2018 and 2019 expiration items are being replaced.

Anyone see any sales on FAK items?

I would think January would be a good time to buy FAK items. Online fsa specialty shops that help you drain your prior year unspent FSA dollars within most people's eligible expense period.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:11 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

A good idea for food store is

Buy what you eat and rotate it regularly.

The key to having fresher food in a crisis is to use up the old stuff as you buy new.

So buy twice as much of one item that you eat regularly when it is on sale. Build up 3 or 6 months supply, then go on to the next item.

You might need it earlier than you think.
A family emergency could have double the number of mouths at your table. Or a job loss could mean you dip into.stores until you find work. So store what you eat so you aren't stuck with unappetizing things that only make a crisis worse.

Your mileage may vary

and the temples of his gods".

Buy "The Kingdom of Saudi Australia in paperback, ebook or kindle:
http://Www.lulu.com/spotlight/JustinLuke