It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bush fire preps
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:01 pm 

Its that time...fire season (in addition to cyclone season, oh the joy)

While I currently live in an area with easy access for fire services (the hydrant is outside my house) I thought I would share some Australian recommendations for being prepared for bushfires.

A bit of background, Australia has had many severe, deadly and destructive bushfires through the last century. due to the limited number of fire fighters and fire trucks, the objective for emergency services is to prepare the general public so they have an idea and are able to either evacuate or defend their own properties, freeing up fire fighters.

Australian Recommendations (Taken from Queensland Rural Fire Service and Victorian Country Fire Agency).
1. Have a plan (as everyone here already has)
2. Have an evacuation kit and protective clothes ready to go (again preaching to the choir)
3. Have access to water, at least 10 000L with heavy vehicle access (that's around 2642 gallons)
4. have the suitable fittings on your water supply (if in a tank) to suit your local fire unit (QRFS use camlock, CFA has their own specific fitting)
5. have sprinklers set up to protect against ember attack, have hoses long enough to reach all around your home, have a pump on standby, ideally fuel based in case power is lost

while that is a shortened list of what to have and do it can help to assist people be better prepared for your fire season

Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Bush fire preps
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:19 pm 

taipan821 wrote:
Its that time...fire season (in addition to cyclone season, oh the joy)

While I currently live in an area with easy access for fire services (the hydrant is outside my house) I thought I would share some Australian recommendations for being prepared for bushfires.

A bit of background, Australia has had many severe, deadly and destructive bushfires through the last century. due to the limited number of fire fighters and fire trucks, the objective for emergency services is to prepare the general public so they have an idea and are able to either evacuate or defend their own properties, freeing up fire fighters.

Australian Recommendations (Taken from Queensland Rural Fire Service and Victorian Country Fire Agency).
1. Have a plan (as everyone here already has)
2. Have an evacuation kit and protective clothes ready to go (again preaching to the choir)
3. Have access to water, at least 10 000L with heavy vehicle access (that's around 2642 gallons)
4. have the suitable fittings on your water supply (if in a tank) to suit your local fire unit (QRFS use camlock, CFA has their own specific fitting)
5. have sprinklers set up to protect against ember attack, have hoses long enough to reach all around your home, have a pump on standby, ideally fuel based in case power is lost

while that is a shortened list of what to have and do it can help to assist people be better prepared for your fire season

Well thank you. I know the American West Coast is dealing with fires and regularly deals with huge fires over huge chunks of the coast line. I'd like to see more of this information make its way into the hands of Americans in that area. Very sensible tips.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:44 pm 

woodsghost wrote:
I'd like to see more of this information make its way into the hands of Americans in that area. Very sensible tips.

I'll leave this here then, it is written for Australian conditions, but all the info is there
http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/fm_files/attachments/plan_and_prepare/frk_2013/4713_CFA_2014_FireReadyKit_web.pdf

Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:19 am 

People would be amazed at just how much protection a simple sprinkler on the roof will provide, although the MOST important thing you can do, particularly in a WUI (wildland/urban interface) area is to clean up. Keep trees and brush cut back away from structures, keep the leaves and fluff out of your gutters, make sure shingles and siding are intact.

I have fought a lot of brushfire, and a more than a few wui fires - I have seen first hand how prevention is the best solution...hundreds of acres gone, and structures barely touched vs total loss.