It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Remote land problems
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:44 pm 
Offline
* *

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:09 pm
Posts: 294
Location: Sarasota Area
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 11 times
I have a friend who owns 5 acres of land in small town in South America. The land is undeveloped. Unfortunately, someone built a house on part of the land, and the local people there want to build a road through another part of it. The area where the guy built the house is lost, as it wasn't discovered until after the house was built and the guy was already living there. In an effort to try to protect what land is left, he paid for a company to build a wall around the area near the house and where the people want the road. After some portions of the wall was constructed, someone came at night and destroyed it. This happened a few times. The police and the local government aren't much help.

He wants to know how to best protect what land is left. He's getting ready to contract the construction of another, more significant, wall. I think that he needs some sort of camera system, alarm, or security guard. (Or an LRAD mounted in the back of a pickup truck.) He's looking for recommendations. He's willing to throw $1K at the problem (in addition to the new wall). The goal is to deter vandalism, have some warning when it is happening, and have evidence after the fact.


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Remote land problems
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:54 pm 
Offline
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 am
Posts: 6547
Location: Maine
Has thanked: 242 times
Been thanked: 411 times
I'm not following why that part of your buddy's land where someone built a house is lost. Is this an adverse possession sort of thing? Why can't your friend evict him as a trespasser?

If your friend is willing to build a wall and throw an extra $1K at the problem, I suggest he use that money to hire a local lawyer and give that illegal builder the old heave ho.

_________________
The Restless Dead http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=80397

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Remote land problems
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:07 pm 
Offline
* * * *
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:47 pm
Posts: 868
Location: Nashville, TN
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 72 times
It sounds like he's throwing good money out the window. I know land laws are different in every country, even in parts of the US if someone moves into your house and you don't live there ( ie it's a second home) you can't just get the cops to evict them. You may have to go through the court eviction process which can take months. Oh and by the way, they will probably trash your property in the mean time. You probably wont see a dime in recompense either. I would go by the adage if you lay with dogs you get fleas, meaning it sounds like he is gonna be in constant conflict with those in the area. Cut your losses as best you can and move on. It's not worth the constant headaches and monetary losses. I know it's not right but it's reality. :(

_________________
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Remote land problems
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:52 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am
Posts: 1667
Has thanked: 241 times
Been thanked: 372 times
Sell the property and buy land where his rights as owner of the property are legally respected.

_________________
As of now I bet you got me wrong


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Remote land problems
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:17 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Posts: 11347
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 574 times
If he is not living there and the locals don't want him there than he is just throwing away perfectly good money. It is a contest he will never win by legal means.

Of course there is a way to keep the land and everything would be just fine and no one would ever mess with it again (at least not for years anyway) but it would violate the rules of the forum discuss it.

_________________
"Big Thanks - I promise to advance your agenda within the secret and omnipotent councils of the Trilateral Commission"

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Remote land problems
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:39 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am
Posts: 1667
Has thanked: 241 times
Been thanked: 372 times
Stercutus wrote:
If he is not living there and the locals don't want him there than he is just throwing away perfectly good money. It is a contest he will never win by legal means.

Of course there is a way to keep the land and everything would be just fine and no one would ever mess with it again (at least not for years anyway) but it would violate the rules of the forum discuss it.

Yard Gnomes :?:

_________________
As of now I bet you got me wrong


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Remote land problems
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:29 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:41 pm
Posts: 3231
Location: Central Cascadia
Has thanked: 132 times
Been thanked: 268 times
One reason I will never buy land in 3rd world countries if I am not actively living on the land. A lot of the land rules don't apply. If someone squats on it it's theirs, and unless you have the funds to pay off the police and the judicial systems you will never get it back and it'll be gone in a couple years.

I say sell it (if they can) or just leave it be and when/if they are going to move down there you come with enough money to pay off right people.

_________________
JeeperCreeper wrote:
I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:
Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Remote land problems
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:54 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 3736
Has thanked: 1540 times
Been thanked: 465 times
Stercutus wrote:
If he is not living there and the locals don't want him there than he is just throwing away perfectly good money. It is a contest he will never win by legal means.

Of course there is a way to keep the land and everything would be just fine and no one would ever mess with it again (at least not for years anyway) but it would violate the rules of the forum discuss it.


Image

_________________
Most of my adventures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Introduction With Pictures: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=79019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Graduated with honors from kit porn university


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Remote land problems
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:13 pm 
Offline
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Posts: 15643
Location: Greater New Orleans Area
Has thanked: 843 times
Been thanked: 473 times
You did not mention which country but in a lot of Central and South America if you are a norteamericano your land rights end where the locals decide it ends.

To make matter worse should TSHTF your friend can assume any other rights he has likewise end where they locals decide it ends.

Having dealt with property issues in 3rd world countries your friend's best bet is to find a local politically connected attorney and get the local politicians to "assist" him. Typically the attorney charges quite a bit for such services since the "consulting fees" are expensive.

That and understand that after the next election the pol that helped him may be out of office and he may have to do it all over again with the next pol.

_________________
Duco Ergo Sum

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Remote land problems
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:17 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am
Posts: 3056
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Has thanked: 537 times
Been thanked: 148 times
raptor wrote:
You did not mention which country but in a lot of Central and South America if you are a norteamericano your land rights end where the locals decide it ends.

To make matter worse should TSHTF your friend can assume any other rights he has likewise end where they locals decide it ends.

Having dealt with property issues in 3rd world countries your friend's best bet is to find a local politically connected attorney and get the local politicians to "assist" him. Typically the attorney charges quite a bit for such services since the "consulting fees" are expensive.

That and understand that after the next election the pol that helped him may be out of office and he may have to do it all over again with the next pol.
If that country has "elections". :clownshoes:

_________________
Matthew Paul Malloy
Veteran: USAR, USA, IAANG.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Remote land problems
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:07 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Posts: 11347
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 574 times
Quote:
Having dealt with property issues in 3rd world countries your friend's best bet is to find a local politically connected attorney and get the local politicians to "assist" him. Typically the attorney charges quite a bit for such services since the "consulting fees" are expensive.

That and understand that after the next election the pol that helped him may be out of office and he may have to do it all over again with the next pol.


That is where I was headed. Except of course it is a bribe. This whole event may even be a shake down.

_________________
"Big Thanks - I promise to advance your agenda within the secret and omnipotent councils of the Trilateral Commission"

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Remote land problems
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:11 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:49 am
Posts: 1775
Location: Yo Momma's House
Has thanked: 294 times
Been thanked: 244 times
All I know is, when things like this escalate, all power goes to those who:
1. care less about the assets
2. have less to lose
3. care less about laws and what's right

_________________
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:
There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Remote land problems
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:01 pm 
Offline
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Posts: 15643
Location: Greater New Orleans Area
Has thanked: 843 times
Been thanked: 473 times
Stercutus wrote:

That is where I was headed. Except of course it is a bribe. This whole event may even be a shake down.


It depends upon the country.

In one popular US ex-pat destination, this sort of consultation is actually quite legal and "above board" since the laws there make it legal. It is a source of cash flow for the local economy.

_________________
Duco Ergo Sum

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Remote land problems
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:35 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am
Posts: 3056
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Has thanked: 537 times
Been thanked: 148 times
raptor wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

That is where I was headed. Except of course it is a bribe. This whole event may even be a shake down.


It depends upon the country.

In one popular US ex-pat destination, this sort of consultation is actually quite legal and "above board" since the laws there make it legal. It is a source of cash flow for the local economy.

Where are the expats going these days, raptor?

_________________
Matthew Paul Malloy
Veteran: USAR, USA, IAANG.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Remote land problems
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:17 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:41 pm
Posts: 3231
Location: Central Cascadia
Has thanked: 132 times
Been thanked: 268 times
MPMalloy wrote:
raptor wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

That is where I was headed. Except of course it is a bribe. This whole event may even be a shake down.


It depends upon the country.

In one popular US ex-pat destination, this sort of consultation is actually quite legal and "above board" since the laws there make it legal. It is a source of cash flow for the local economy.

Where are the expats going these days, raptor?


Mexico is always popular, but Costa Rica is a big one. We have a 005 member that had about 150 in the cloud forest. He got in good with the local elders and the people in the village that the road goes through that leads to his property. He said other than a few issues to start he has had VERY good relationship. He even talked to the local government and was able to bring some of his firearms.

_________________
JeeperCreeper wrote:
I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:
Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Remote land problems
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:33 pm 
Offline
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Posts: 15643
Location: Greater New Orleans Area
Has thanked: 843 times
Been thanked: 473 times
MPMalloy wrote:
Where are the expats going these days, raptor?


The country I was referring to was Costa Rica. However, I have heard Belize and Panama have similar but different nuances on the same issue.

http://www.costaricaguide.co.cr/real-es ... ropriation

As for where they are going?

The funny thing is many foreign investors are coming to the US because of the fact property rights are so well defined here.

That said Costa Rica, Panama, Mexico, Peru are popular.

_________________
Duco Ergo Sum

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group