Flu Season 2017: Medical Supplies Shortage?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Flu Season 2017: Medical Supplies Shortage?

Post by teotwaki » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:07 pm

Sort of a fluff article but I found the source of some of our medical supplies interesting

Flu Season 2017: Medical Supplies Shortage Could Leave U.S. With Deadly Pandemic

http://www.newsweek.com/flu-season-2017 ... mic-682841

"....the United States relies on foreign trade for many medical needs. About 30 essential items, these include hospital supplies like IV bags and everyday drugs, are made outside of the U.S. A pandemic in India or China could keep people home from work, which would impact manufacturing."

Maybe China could hit us with a modified virus and cut off our supplies to ensure the US is crippled? :ohdear:
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Flu Season 2017: Medical Supplies Shortage?

Post by raptor » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:20 pm

Get a fly shot and make sure you have a full course of Tamiflu.

Tamiflu really works but only if you take it early (& only on influenza) before the virus has a chance to start replicating enmass.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:00 am

The PR Hurricanes have left the medical industry with some shortages in deliveries. Nothing life threatening yet but nothing is currently straining the system either. If an unexpected community medical crisis emerges there might be a problem.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: None

Post by Asymetryczna » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:33 am

Every year there is information that makes one consider a Worrying Flu Virus.

Supply shortages certainly won't mitigate the concern/problem. After reading about it here and there this morning I think I am going to go get a shot tonight. The shots are free for veterans and there is a Walgreens that I have to pass to get home tonight.

Free Flu Shots for Veterans
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:45 am

I'll be the first to admit I always get a flu shot and consider it to be pretty much a no-brainer, so do so if you can. But my understanding is the CDC or some other entity takes an educated guess each year as to the 3-5 flu strains they predict will be the most prevalent that particular flu season and specifies the exact formulation based on that estimate.

It's a bit of a crap shoot and I think it was 2015 they guessed wrong, leading to a flu shot that far less effective than hoped for.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:13 pm

majorhavoc wrote:I'll be the first to admit I always get a flu shot and consider it to be pretty much a no-brainer, so do so if you can. But my understanding is the CDC or some other entity takes an educated guess each year as to the 3-5 flu strains they predict will be the most prevalent that particular flu season and specifies the exact formulation based on that estimate.

It's a bit of a crap shoot and I think it was 2015 they guessed wrong, leading to a flu shot that far less effective than hoped for.
Raptor clearly said "Fly shot" not "flu shot". This year I expect we may see something a little "extra".

From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Old_Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days and weeks later, I am legend, the original dawn of the Dead...etc.

Post by Old_Man » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:26 am

Well this seems risky.... https://t.co/Trso3HsHfv

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”