It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:36 pm 

Hello all

I've gotten a bee in my bonnet and want to improve my overall fitness.

now my issue is as follows, I want to avoid using a gym due to how high membership fees are. As a result I'm looking at the following

-cardio: going for distance in 30 mins. I'm thinking of starting off walking, but then slowly increase the pace. In addition swimming, doing the same thing (swim for 30mins, extend the number of laps)

-muscle: body weight exercises, maybe a short (4 week) gym membership to build up bicep strength.

-mixture (cardio and muscle): Pack marches, advice is needed on this (any drill instructors)

If anyone has suggestions, exercise regimes or alternatives please share.

Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:50 pm 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002Y2SU ... ref=plSrch

This will cover your bi's, tri's, back and chest utilizing over hand/under hand pull ups and the opposing dip station. Mix in some push ups and planks for good measure.

Im 240lbs and that bar station holds me just fine.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:36 pm 

It also depends on if you want endurance or power.

More power gives denser muscles, so they don't necessarily bulge up as much but get very solid and your able to pick up heavier and heavier objects.

More endurance lets you do activities longer and the muscles bulk up more. There are also differences in how your body processes ATP and oxygen and other chemicals. But your ability to pick up heavy objects does not really increase. You just pick up the same weight for longer periods of time.

Based on what you are writing it sounds like you want endurance rather than power. Both have terrific advantages.

Just be sure what you want.

For power I'd follow this guy.

For about US$150 in steel weights and some lumber you can make what you need to get a good deal stronger whichever way you go. Plus that contraption fatty21 linked above. I like the look of it. Or something like this is cheaper:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/CAP-Barbell- ... 3=&veh=sem

But the door frame things are a bit narrow for my tastes now. I'm still using it though.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:35 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Buy a kettlebell tbh.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:49 pm 

When I was in the military gym was free. Some very nice gyms too. When I retired I got a gym membership. As my hours started to get more hectic I found it hard to put together two hours a day to drive back and forth to the gym and stopped going. I kept paying for the gym for several months until I realized that I had not been in six months. The wife had not gone in a year.

Cost of family gym membership two years = $1680
Gas (if going three times a week for two years) = $1500 + miles on vehicle

Total = $3180
Residuals = $0

I built a gym in my basement. I then bought a bunch of equipment on sale at Academy. I just waited until their weekly flyer came out and picked up the deals on the stuff I wanted.

Cost of:
Building materials/ supplies/ tools = $1200

Marcy Smith Machine/ Bench multi purpose = $600
Weight Set = $160
Punching bags/ stand/ gloves = $260
Elliptical machine = $400 (it's a nice heavy one, they have cheaper ones)

I also got a commercial treadmill from a gym that was getting rid of theirs.
$400

I had on hand an old TV, speakers, and fridge I put in for free.

Total = $3220
Residuals= I still have the gym and all the tools. Figure if I sold them today I could get about half what I paid or about $1200 out of it. But I have no plans to sell because I use it several times a week.

I built it myself which was; framing walls, putting up lights, wiring outlets, and laying down flooring.

I can do practically any exercise that I did at my old gym, even more since the old gym did not have a punching bag.

All the equipment works just fine but I will need a new set of gloves soon as mine are getting worn out. I figure I can get another ten years out of the rest of the stuff. Keeping the gym membership would have cost me at least $25K over ten years. For the next ten years my costs are $0.

Having the gym in the basement removes the excuse of travel time and I actually work out more often but with shorter work outs. Most days I work out before I go to work raising my energy levels. I can then run upstairs straight in to the shower. If i skip a week or two no pressure because the money clock is not running.

The wife loves it because while she is a good looking woman she has a prosthetic leg. So in the gym she was constantly getting stared at for one reason or another. A lot of women get stared at in the gym or hit on, which is pretty obnoxious either way.

Some people go to the gym to socialize and some people go to work out. I have always been in the second category.

Having a home gym also means we can crank up the sound system I threw in there and play what we want to play. No more head phones.

The mini fridge I stocked it full of water and sports drinks.

Dress code at the gym is whatever keeps your bits out of the machinery. I also don't have to look at someone else's flabby midriff, wipe their sweat off of a machine when they fail to do so and it is generally more hygienic.

Wait time to use a piece of equipment is essentially zero.

For flooring I used those foam pads that are popular for home gyms and I can stretch out comfortably.

I also put an old TV in there so if anyone wants to watch the news or whatever while on the elliptical or treadmill they can.

So I saved tens of thousands in the long run, get a better work out, in privacy, in a cleaner environment, saved energy and created much less pollution. If there is a down side I can't see it.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:04 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Speaking of Eliot Hulse from above, this is my favorite video he does for those getting back into it.

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:11 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I used to be a personal trainer, group trainer, coach, all the above... the best advice I can give to people from any fitness level is a few things:

What type of workouts?
-something you enjoy
-something that is sustainable

How do I treat my diet/fitness/lifestyle?
-balance
-variety
-moderation

You can break anything down into those. You'd be surprised at how many top athletes and beginners need to be talked into this advice. Athletes can burn out, rookies can quit, lifters get hurt, powerlifters get fat, runners deteriorate.

Basically...
If you're fat, and go on a vegan-paleo-macro-adkins diet... you will quit and not be able to sustain it. And you'll hate every minute of your life.
If you hate running, you'll quit. If you hate lifting, you'll quit. If you love swimming, you'll get off the couch to do it.

Don't give yourself an excuse to quit and know that it is a long journey that will take baby steps. Going balls to the wall on day 1 rarely lasts... but staying on the couch lasts longer.

I have to give myself this pep talk every day.

zero11010 wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:10 pm 

Great stuff Jeeper.

For me I started and failed over and over. But my fitness times got longer and longer and my couch periods got shorter and shorter.

Like quoting smoking, you don't usually manage the first time. But continued effort pays off.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:58 pm 

I've been doing the homestead workout. Cutting down trees, sectioning them, splitting them, then stacking them. I've lost 10lbs in the last week. Arms are getting more toned, back is much stronger, shoulders are more broad, and legs are getting more toned from lifting and moving large rounds.

YMMV

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:00 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

woodsghost wrote:
Like quoting smoking, you don't usually manage the first time. But continued effort pays off.

Derail: I found a great way to stop smoking. I wasn't a heavy smoker, but would pound them down when I was in the service and college. I bought a couple packs of my least favorite cigs (I liked menthols so I bought cowboy killer Marlboro reds), opened them up, and let them go stale. Like a couple weeks stale. Then, I exclusively only smoked those while cutting back. I got the Nicotine and the sensation/satisfaction of smoking, but it got more and more gross and less and less appealing. Took about 2 weeks before I kicked the habit.

That's how I did it. I told a few other casual smokers and it worked for them (so they say). I doubt a heavy smoker would be able to do that though...

zero11010 wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:47 am 

Hindu squats, Hindu push-ups, and crunches. When you're jogging distance, if you need to slow down and catch your breath don't walk, just jog at a walking pace.

Back when I had the bee in my bonnet this is pretty much all I did (and cut most sugar out of my diet) and managed to lose 15 lbs in about 6 weeks. Then Thanksgiving happened and if all went to shit, but prior that it was easy to keep up and maintain.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:51 am 

There are some good points here. Your goals are important. Losing weight is different from gaining strength. When getting stronger, having more food is much better.

Also, as you get fit, your weight increases even as your body slims down.

For me, I lost a lot of weight as I started getting consistent with exercise. After losing about 10 pounds I gained 12-15, all over about a 14 month period.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:37 pm 

1) suspension trainers. TRX is one, junglegym xt is another, I have both, both work, xt is cheaper, at $99

https://www.amazon.com/Lifeline-LLJGXT- ... gle+gym+xt

2) chin / pull up bar - walmart has them
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EJMS6K/re ... 9561009778

3) BIG rubber bands ... (a) curl or push up against them .... (b) hang them from the chin up bar if you can't chin to help you out until you can do pull ups (roguefitness has some)

4) Planet Fitness gym membership (if one in your area). No really, its $10 per month, no contract. ten. dollars. go work out. :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:27 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Make it important to you.
I'm in the process (have been for a few months...) of getting back into shape. But between having a baby, full time job, and other responsibilities, exercise can sort of get stuck on the back burner. Make it important to you. Find something that motivates you.
I really like the ZombiesRun app, gives me a bit of a story that I get while running, and tracks my runs for me. Can also turn on chase mode so you'll have periods where you'll have to speed up or get penalties. https://zombiesrungame.com/

Home gym is also really beneficial to me. I really can't come up with a legitimate excuse when the gym is in the garage and I can complete my workout in a half hour.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:41 am 

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Things I am currently implementing...

1. I have started to carry my GPS with me on jogs, I like the feeling of being able to push myself and go further and further.
2. Diet, I have started to change my breakfast to include tasty and healthy meals, rather than porridge (though porridge is good too), a very light lunch and a filling meal of meat and veggies in the evening.
3. Gym, looking at my local PCYC gym, they offer a discount for new members and I'm interested in trying it out.
4. home gym is very limited, I cannot use doorway chin up bars (being 6' 8" does lead to things not being tall enough)

In addition, I wonder if I can get discounted rates through my volunteering...might have to talk to people about that

Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:46 pm 

Look up Body weight fitness on reddit. Plenty of advice and programs

Remember. Consistency is more important than intensity.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:46 am 

the_alias wrote:
Buy a kettlebell tbh.

You could probably find a plate. everyone has at least one somewhere.

https://youtu.be/YEHkQFs3JI8

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:03 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

When you're looking at fitness on a budget, as mentioned above, body weight exercises are a no-cost option. Find the proper combination of exercises and you'll see significant improvements with no dent to the wallet. Even things as basic as pushups, situps, and wall sits can build significant strength and burn calories.

Running/jogging/walking are also no-cost options. Consider the impact to your personal fitness of taking an hour our of your day and cycling days between cardio and strength straining, but don't forget to give yourself a rest so your body can recover. Your initial plan has the building blocks for solo, no expense fitness training, so I highly encourage taking some of the provided advice. Maybe buy a kettle bell to broaden your at-home options, but don't fall into the mindset where you require the equipment to convince you you're actually working out. In addition to what's already been mentioned, get a jump rope. Do burpees.

You could build an at-home regimen with minimal expense (say kettle ball and jump rope). Just find a pattern and listen to your body when it tells you you're doing something wrong or it needs a rest.

Good luck!

ZS Wiki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:16 pm 

For those that remember back to the 80s, football star Herschel walker was super ripped, and claimed it was mostly from situps and pushups. He did about 1000 a day if i remember his claim. Just saying that you dont need ecpemsive equipment to get in shape. A pair of sneakers, walk or jog, for cardio, sit ups, pushups , maybe some dumbbells for strength.

But the exercise most people need is in their hands to drop the utensils and in their wrists to push themselves away from the table.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:37 pm 

I agree I have a 10 lb and 25 lb kettle ball I bought off amazon and they show an effect. I just use them when watching TV. If you are looking to loose weight I have dropped 40 lbs in the last year by doing 2 things. I stopped eating fast food (I treat myself once a week. I'm not a robot) and walked every once in a while . I still have a ways to go but have already dropped 2 pant sizes and a shirt size. It took a while to get so out of shape (and I still am) but it just means it's gonna take some time to get into shape. I tried the gym thing but it was expensive and I stopped going after a while. It was really to much of a hassle for me. I dont like working out next to people but that's just me.
Good Luck :clap:

the_alias wrote:
Buy a kettlebell tbh.

Last edited by The Twizzler on Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:38 pm 

What is a wall sit?

Beowolf wrote:
When you're looking at fitness on a budget, as mentioned above, body weight exercises are a no-cost option. Find the proper combination of exercises and you'll see significant improvements with no dent to the wallet. Even things as basic as pushups, situps, and wall sits can build significant strength and burn calories.

Running/jogging/walking are also no-cost options. Consider the impact to your personal fitness of taking an hour our of your day and cycling days between cardio and strength straining, but don't forget to give yourself a rest so your body can recover. Your initial plan has the building blocks for solo, no expense fitness training, so I highly encourage taking some of the provided advice. Maybe buy a kettle bell to broaden your at-home options, but don't fall into the mindset where you require the equipment to convince you you're actually working out. In addition to what's already been mentioned, get a jump rope. Do burpees.

You could build an at-home regimen with minimal expense (say kettle ball and jump rope). Just find a pattern and listen to your body when it tells you you're doing something wrong or it needs a rest.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:42 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Back against a wall, knees at 90 degree angle. Hold and feel the burn. Great way to get your thigh muscles to fire.

ZS Wiki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:40 am 

Depending on your AO check out F3 nation. It's a free men's workout group in a lot of cities. Most of the workouts are early morning and boot camp style. Been doing it for about 1.5 years and it's great. Good way to meet fellows in your area as well. Ready made group to do Goruck events, OCR, etc. There is a women's group too, FiA, though not as popular. DM if you have any questions.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk