It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:52 am 

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-09-2 ... urge-sales

With North Korea threatening to detonate a nuclear weapon over the Pacific Ocean as its leader and President Donald Trump casually bandy about threats of thermonuclear annihilation, people in the US and Japan are understandably starting to worry.

After all, US intelligence agencies revealed during the summer that they believe the North will soon possess a nuclear warhead-tipped ballistic missile capable of striking most of the continental US. In fact, chances are good that, with a little luck, the North already has missiles in its arsenal that could probably strike a large area of the western US.

But, aside from nuclear threats looming in North Korea and Iran, the worst hurricane season in the Atlantic in more than a decade, and the continuing rumblings underneath the Yellowstone caldera, which could signal a potentially humanity-extinguishing eruption, it’s understandable that Americans and Japanese are increasingly worrying about their safety, and have begun purchasing more “doomsday preparation” gear to help assuage those fears.

Now, Reuters is reporting that survivalists across the US are clearing store shelves to stock bunkers in anticipation of Earth’s final chapter. A few survivalists who spoke with Reuters said that North Korea’s threats, and the images of the destruction caused by Hurricanes Harvey, Maria and Irma, have inspired them to stock up.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:54 am 

Everyone worries about big things, but my scary scenario of choice is still quarantine.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:16 pm 

1) the preppers were already stocked up. The wannabees and some genuine new people are the ones inspired to stock up.

2) quarantine would suck. Ebola was rather scary. I'm still worried about general civil unrest in the US. I'd be worried in Europe too. Lot of irritated people out and about.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:37 pm 

Well that's it then. I don't want to be a part of group think, I'd rather live at the edge. Can I interest anyone in a fully stocked retreat in the Blue Ridge Mountains?

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:15 pm 

And yet people overlook the most obvious - and most common - of personal disasters:

Home fire
Loss of employment
Long term illness/heart attack/cancer

Common sense may not be all that common after all.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:40 pm 

House fires are actually pretty rare. If you don't cook meth the chances of getting a house fire really plummet. In our county around half the house fires and all of the hotel fires are meth lab related.

Loss of income is important, unless you can't lose it and sickness gets all of us.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:08 pm 

Also, a combination of insurance and savings is probably the best bet for all those. Which most people acknowledge is good, if you can manage it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:18 am 

Stercutus wrote:
House fires are actually pretty rare. If you don't cook meth the chances of getting a house fire really plummet. In our county around half the house fires and all of the hotel fires are meth lab related.

Loss of income is important, unless you can't lose it and sickness gets all of us.

Must be an Anchorage thing. What with all the wood stoves and that. Most of the fires here are listed as started by "installed equipment"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:51 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

There's an inverse relationship between scope nd likelihood of a disaster.

The more people affected, the less likely it is to happen

car accident
cancer
job loss are all a zombocalypse if they happen to you, but pmeing prepared for these go a long way w
towards being prepared for the others.

and the temples of his gods".

Buy "The Kingdom of Saudi Australia in paperback, ebook or kindle:
http://Www.lulu.com/spotlight/JustinLuke

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:01 am 

Vallyn wrote:
Everyone worries about big things, but my scary scenario of choice is still quarantine.

its like mad max, people think prepping is for the 'end of the world' but more often than not the preps are for more common and mundane things.

blizzards, cyclones, bush/forest fires, drought, flooding etc don't sound as cool as nuclear war, zombies, widespread killer diseases (though that one is valid) so not much attention is given to them.

Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:47 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

taipan821 wrote:
but more often than not the preps are for more common and mundane things.
Although I wholeheartedly agree with you and hope for the best, it probably would NOT hurt to consider important targets in your region and circular error probability as it relates to missiles and such. Radiation detection and treatment of radiation sickness are discussed in a lot of short guides online that people can brush up on and of course develop one or two high speed exit strategies (if that is even possible where you live given populations and such) just in case.
After, mostly, it would be a return to more common and mundane things...

In an early class on game theory, I remember the professor using an analogy of two bullies playing chicken, driving muscle cars at each other. Imagine that both of them have wild hair and crazy eyes. Both are very angry and one of them is on narcotics and collects Barbies. Who will swerve first?

Edited to add: Not trying to add to the month(s) of turmoil or sell any more fear since I think that nearly everything that can be done behind the scenes is being done but it doesn't hurt to be prepared for everything. Snowballs can't be rolled back uphill.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:37 pm 

It's only common sense because they are now doing it. 3/4 of them or more will stop prepping within a year if the situation with Nork stabilizes and next years storm season is mild. They will then refer to us and the time they had started to prep as "remember when I went a little wild and did all that crazy survivalist prepping stuff ? They will slide back into a state of oblivious and expect some half imagined THEY to rescue them if needed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:40 pm 

taipan821 wrote:
its like mad max, people think prepping is for the 'end of the world' but more often than not the preps are for more common and mundane things.

blizzards, cyclones, bush/forest fires, drought, flooding etc don't sound as cool as nuclear war, zombies, widespread killer diseases (though that one is valid) so not much attention is given to them.

Pretty much, though I consider myself fortunate to live in a place where wildscale disasters are uncommon. We don't really have wildfires or earthquakes (yet?), nor hurricanes, and while there's not much prep you can do for a tornado beyond "have a safe place and get there," the path of devastation is typically narrow enough that the next neighborhood over is fine and sends people with chainsaws to help you. But power goes out in winter sometimes, and you'd better be prepared to keep warm even if you're snowed in. AO is a huge consideration.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:56 pm 

Nice to see the subject becoming normal again.
The more who prep the better.
-
What is AO ?

Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:22 pm 

ZombieGranny wrote:
What is AO ?

Saw it elsewhere, thought it was in the parlance here. "Area of Operation" = locale.

Well, unless I'm talking about soccer, in which case it's American Outlaws.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:26 pm 

Vallyn wrote:
ZombieGranny wrote:
What is AO ?

Saw it elsewhere, thought it was in the parlance here. "Area of Operation" = locale.

Well, unless I'm talking about soccer, in which case it's American Outlaws.

It is in common use around here. But not every one is from that crowd or interested in that lingo. I love this site because of the diversity as well as the solidly grounded people.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:50 pm 

Asymetryczna wrote:
taipan821 wrote:
but more often than not the preps are for more common and mundane things.
Although I wholeheartedly agree with you and hope for the best, it probably would NOT hurt to consider important targets in your region and circular error probability as it relates to missiles and such.

regarding missiles, I live next to one of the biggest military bases in Australia, so if a nuclear missile attack occurs on the base I'm sorted (dead).

Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:40 pm 

Oh, that makes sense.
I'm just an old cook, sometimes the acronyms get past me.

Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:57 pm 

TacAir wrote:
And yet people overlook the most obvious - and most common - of personal disasters:

Home fire
Loss of employment
Long term illness/heart attack/cancer

Common sense may not be all that common after all.

Loss of Employment.

Scary scenario, but a very real one.

We don't need a big SHTF, just a good old economic recession ... and we are due.

The creeping malaise of Venezuela is something to watch for, the disease that caused it is spreading.