It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:30 pm 

Plenty of money to be made off fear mongering.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ear-attack

Hal Kempfer, a noted international security expert, is getting a roomful of California public health officials and emergency responders to think about the unthinkable – a nuclear bomb exploding at the port of Long Beach, about four miles away.

His message – coming on the same day North Korea threatened to reduce the mainland United States to “ashes and darkness” and then launched a ballistic missile over Japan – is unvarnished and uncompromising: get ready, because we all need to prepare for what comes after.

“A lot of people will be killed,” he said, “but a large percentage of the population will survive. They will be at risk and they will need help.”

Most likely, Kempfer tells his audience, if the device is fired from North Korea or smuggled in by North Korean agents, it wouldn’t be the sort of high-yield weapon that planners worried about during the cold war, with the potential to wipe out most life and civilization across the Los Angeles region and send radioactive materials halfway across the American continent.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:50 pm 

They misspelled "Prudent."

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:47 pm 

Oddly Los Angeles is one of the more protected areas from nuclear attack from the NORKs.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:52 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Stercutus wrote:
Oddly Los Angeles is one of the more protected areas from nuclear attack from the NORKs.

How so?
Just curious.

I think they are actually more vulnerable to a nuke attack via unconventional means like using a container ship mounted device.

But that is strictly my opinion and not fact.

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:17 pm 

raptor wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

How so?
Just curious.

I think they are actually more vulnerable to a nuke attack via unconventional means like using a container ship mounted device.

That's what I had always heard. Nuke in a container ship. Of course the norks have yet to detonate anything strong enough to reach L.A. from the harbor. ( 28 miles). Unless the container was a missile launcher.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:58 am 

flybynight wrote:
raptor wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

How so?
Just curious.

That's what I had always heard. Nuke in a container ship. Of course the norks have yet to detonate anything strong enough to reach L.A. from the harbor. ( 28 miles). Unless the container was a missile launcher.

It shouldn't be to hard to make a containerized missile or large artillery rocket that could boost a warhead from the port to the city. North Korea actually manufactures Scuds and has Frog-7's both of which were initially designed to deliver nuclear weapons. It is just a question of if they can make one that will fit on the delivery system and if they have a crew crazy/suicidal enough to actually do it.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:46 pm 

Aikibiker wrote:
It is just a question of if they can make one that will fit on the delivery system and if they have a crew crazy/suicidal enough to actually do it.

Peenemunde designed, manufactured and deployed the V1 and V2 while under 24/7 bombardment.

So, can they do it ? Only a question of time.

Are they crazy enough ? Question : what does Rocket Man really want ? Is he just in it for survival (then he won't) or is he happy with a scenario he does not survive (then he will).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:14 pm 

DJPrepper wrote:
Aikibiker wrote:
It is just a question of if they can make one that will fit on the delivery system and if they have a crew crazy/suicidal enough to actually do it.

Peenemunde designed, manufactured and deployed the V1 and V2 while under 24/7 bombardment.

Are they crazy enough ? Question : what does Rocket Man really want ? Is he just in it for survival (then he won't) or is he happy with a scenario he does not survive (then he will).

I think another question is: does he think we would retaliate? And my honest question is: would we?

Would America honestly start/join a nuclear war? Do you really want to be the person who decides to fight with nukes?

Another question: would China let us fight a nuclear war? Would they stand by as we threw nukes on their front porch?

I honestly don't know that we would respond to anything but a sustsined series of nuke attacks. That puts Dear Leader in a rather powerful position. The only hope of safety I see is convincing him we will act, and to that end, acting preemptively. Maybe not with nukes, but with something.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:32 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

woodsghost wrote:
DJPrepper wrote:
Aikibiker wrote:

I think another question is: does he think we would retaliate? And my honest question is: would we?

Would America honestly start/join a nuclear war? Do you really want to be the person who decides to fight with nukes?

Another question: would China let us fight a nuclear war? Would they stand by as we threw nukes on their front porch?

I honestly don't know that we would respond to anything but a sustsined series of nuke attacks. That puts Dear Leader in a rather powerful position. The only hope of safety I see is convincing him we will act, and to that end, acting preemptively. Maybe not with nukes, but with something.

We are getting into politics here so please do be careful.

I honestly do not see CA who are concerned about this as being paranoid. It is within the realm of possibility.

That said I do not think Kim wants to die and as such he is not likely to attack in such a manner as to assure his destruction.

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:35 pm 

raptor wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
DJPrepper wrote:
Aikibiker wrote:

We are getting into politics here so please do be careful.

I honestly do not see CA who are concerned about this as being paranoid. It is within the realm of possibility.

That said I do not think Kim wants to die and as such he is not likely to attack in such a manner as to assure his destruction.

Sorry. Thank you for the heads up.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:41 pm 

Despite the rhetoric, I believe that DPRK and Iran both are trying to achieve their own safety.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutual_ ... estruction

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:54 pm 

Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:
Despite the rhetoric, I believe that DPRK and Iran both are trying to achieve their own safety.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutual_ ... estruction

For that they would 1) need to have second, and probably third, strike capability. And 2) they would need to be able to destroy their security concerns. If their security concern is Madigascar, they are on the right track.

Or maybe they have more than the news media know about. I don't know.

But missles that can be counted on your hands and toes, and friend's hands and toes, are not MAD levels of missles.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:14 am 

I don't believe that anyone thinks that the DPRK will stop at only a few dozen war heads.

Nor do I trust that the true size of their arsenal is known by the general public, and possibly not even by the intelligence community.

My comment was actually in response to your question about Kim's intentions.

As far as what he is saying right now- I don't believe he is (insert perjorative of your choice here) enough to actually attack the US, our allies or anyone else for that matter. He is like a child throwing a temper tantrum to get attention. And as evidenced by this very thread- he is getting what he wants.

And back to my point, the MAD theory holds that the more nations that are armed with nuclear weapons the safer the world is. I see it as a perverted interpretation of Heinlein.

Robert Heinlein wrote:

But as dinosaur-moderator-man warned, we are veering into politics.

To the OP: Fear sells, just as good as (if not better than) sex. I'm not at all surprised that there is a huckster entrepreneuring individual in California capitalizing on Mr. Crazy-Pants' tantrums.

And now, just because...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:32 pm 

Perhaps Kim will take a hint from Trump and change careers ...

http://twitter.com/TheDailySheeple/status/910234517729890304

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:48 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Paranoia and preparedness are often interchangeable.
Quote:
“Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men.
For though the bastard is dead, the bitch that bore him is again in heat.”
~Bertolt Brecht (German poet and playwright, 1898-1956)

P.S. Fear sells well.