Organization of Preps

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

SouthernZombie

Organization of Preps

Post by SouthernZombie » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:24 am

Hey guys,

I just wanted to share an easy and inexpensive organizational strategy that's been working well for me. Once I got my preps to a decent state where I feel okay (you can never feel 100%), I realized I really needed to focus on having quick access to particulars. It's great knowing you have everything you need but what happens when you actually need it? A gas mask doesn't do you much good if you have to rummage through an unorganized closet and it takes twenty minutes to find a vital item if seconds make the difference.

I've since organized all of my preps into 10-gallon toes (size and structure really doesn't matter). I did this so that virtually anyone can lift one even if it's filled with food, it can't get too heavy and is small enough to fit several into the smallest of vehicle trunks.

I then prepared a typed list of the contents of each tote. This list is simply placed at the top of each and on the lid I reference #1-X. These numbers are then each documented on a master prep list, which I have taped to a plastic bag, which is attached to the back of the most accessible of my prep totes. This way, if disaster should strike, I have a master prep list which cross references what is in each and every tote. I don't have to hunt through ten buckets to find what I need, I simply look at the list and then find which bucket the item is in (each tote is numbered on top and all four sides). Having the item list within each tote also serves as a backup in case the master list is lost and allows for easy updating, as any new additions or subtractions can be hand written onto or crossed off of the master and individual bucket list.

I've attached some screenshots below, because who doesn't like pictures? (The forums are giving me grief with the pictures, but the addresses are below.

http://imgur.com/a/gTtXa

http://imgur.com/a/6LjNj
"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
Carl Sagan

mantis

Re: Organization of Preps

Post by mantis » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:38 pm

All of my gear is in one area of my basement in labelled boxes and shelves. When it comes to bug out bags and that sort of thing, I use a modular approach. I am prepping to equip several other non-prepping family members as well so this works well for me. I maintain several tac vests, chest rigs and sets of web gear and have numerous ruck sacks and packs. Each is equipped for specific tasks and conditions and I can mix and match as required. I can also use those extra preps to equip others as need be. For a bugout scenario, I will have a tac vest or web gear carrying critical gear and it will be paired with a ruck containing clothing, food and bulkier items. Some of those are setup for winter, some are setup as wilderness kits, all can be used in multiple environments if need be.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:42 pm

I use semi- clear tote boxes so I can get a glimpse of the contents. I've not had the discipline to catalog the totes or put a list on the outside. Shame on me.

On the good side I have a few roller duffles with some complete kits that anyone in the family could grab and take to their car. For instance a small canister stove, pot, 50 pouches of dehydrated food, utensils, plates, bowls and miscellaneous things needed to prepare to eat.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

zombieapocalypsegame
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later

Post by zombieapocalypsegame » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:23 pm

In addition to the mere organization of the preps, the placement of them will be important too.

Yesterday & today the Gulf coast of Texas had a Cat 4 hurricane. I'm in Austin, but we still made sure we prepped by bringing in the outdoor stuff that could become projectiles, supplies were checked, etc. But, what cleaning up the yard did was really eat into my garage space and make my preps harder to reach. Things like the BBQ, trash cans, lightweight totes etc are now right in front of everything I need to get to. I have good shelving setup in the garage, but it is an add-on to the house and has no indoor access to it. If there is damage to the house (often to the garage due to flimsy metal garage door vs heavy wind) then it's going to be particularly difficult to get to the stuff we need. Especially if it is still storming.

The crucial BOB items are already stored indoors in our safest closet. Flashlights, work gloves, first aid, etc. But, there are plenty of things we'd need to get into the garage for: larger water supply, camping gear, power tools, heavier or bigger tools like crowbars/ladders, construction materials, etc.
Zombie Apocalypse Games
The Zombies, They're Coming!
Once Fired Lake City Brass
Brass made for & only used by the US armed forces, well suited for reloading.

SouthernZombie

Post by SouthernZombie » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:11 pm

Well, looks like Irma will be hitting me toward the latter half of the weekend. I'm thankful I organized my preps just a few weeks ago. I quickly hit the grocery store early this week when it was merely a remote possibility and got several cases of water and a few gallon jugs of water. Also stocked up on extra bread, PB&J, and canned foods. I'm happy I did that too, because I have friends and family that are now fleeing South Florida and are liable to get stuck with me further up the coast.

Just filled up some of my six-gallon jerry cans (designed for water). It's my first time using them so I'll have to report how they hold up in the days to come. :clap:
"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
Carl Sagan

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:32 am

SouthernZombie wrote: I've since organized all of my preps into 10-gallon toes (size and structure really doesn't matter). I did this so that virtually anyone can lift one even if it's filled with food, it can't get too heavy and is small enough to fit several into the smallest of vehicle trunks.

I then prepared a typed list of the contents of each tote. This list is simply placed at the top of each and on the lid I reference #1-X. These numbers are then each documented on a master prep list, which I have taped to a plastic bag, which is attached to the back of the most accessible of my prep totes. This way, if disaster should strike, I have a master prep list which cross references what is in each and every tote. I don't have to hunt through ten buckets to find what I need, I simply look at the list and then find which bucket the item is in (each tote is numbered on top and all four sides). Having the item list within each tote also serves as a backup in case the master list is lost and allows for easy updating, as any new additions or subtractions can be hand written onto or crossed off of the master and individual bucket list.
Similar setup here. I'm oldschool, so paper and pen listings of the contents of each box, bucket, or tote, then one copy goes in the container and a photocopy on a clipboard. The boxes are only labeled on the outside with an alphanumeric designator (A for attic, B for basement, G for garage) and the box number. Makes it easier to find the location of the box from the clipboard copies. 10w30 synthetic motor oil? Check the clipboard... 6 quarts in box G-3.

In years past I tried grouping items by general category, and ended up with boxes of assorted "Personal Hygiene" or "First Aid" supplies. Before long I started running out of storage space in the basement because maybe only one or two items in a large box required climate controlled storage. Now I divide the bulk supplies up in a slightly more specialized manner with an eye on the contents' storage requirements. Toothbrushes and razors in a box in the garage, toothpaste and mouthwash in the basement. Same for gauze (attic) and OTC meds (basement). One drawback is having related goods in different places, but it freed up a lot of space. Another thing I found in dividing out the supplies was how few I had of some items because it looked more substantial on paper than it did in a pile. I thought I had a lot of gauze for example, but when I divided it out and removed the outer cardboard packaging it all would have fit in a shoebox. That's not a lot of gauze.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”