When the rich become preppers, it's time to worry

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

When the rich become preppers, it's time to worry

Post by absinthe beginner » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:09 pm

https://www.peakprosperity.com/blog/106 ... time-worry

Steve Huffman, the thirty-three-year-old co-founder and C.E.O. of Reddit, which is valued at six hundred million dollars, was nearsighted until November, 2015, when he arranged to have laser eye surgery. He underwent the procedure not for the sake of convenience or appearance but, rather, for a reason he doesn’t usually talk much about: he hopes that it will improve his odds of surviving a disaster, whether natural or man-made. “If the world ends—and not even if the world ends, but if we have trouble—getting contacts or glasses is going to be a huge pain in the ass,” he told me recently. “Without them, I’m fucked.”

Huffman, who lives in San Francisco, has large blue eyes, thick, sandy hair, and an air of restless curiosity; at the University of Virginia, he was a competitive ballroom dancer, who hacked his roommate’s Web site as a prank. He is less focused on a specific threat—a quake on the San Andreas, a pandemic, a dirty bomb—than he is on the aftermath, “the temporary collapse of our government and structures,” as he puts it. “I own a couple of motorcycles. I have a bunch of guns and ammo. Food. I figure that, with that, I can hole up in my house for some amount of time.”

Survivalism, the practice of preparing for a crackup of civilization, tends to evoke a certain picture: the woodsman in the tinfoil hat, the hysteric with the hoard of beans, the religious doomsayer. But in recent years survivalism has expanded to more affluent quarters, taking root in Silicon Valley and New York City, among technology executives, hedge-fund managers, and others in their economic cohort.

Sun Yeti
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zomblies (no, that's not a typo)

Re: When the rich become preppers, it's time to worry

Post by Sun Yeti » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:47 pm

Any evidence that the rich are preparing more/in larger numbers than before? I've read a few articles about the luxury fallout shelters rich people constructed in the Cold War period. I'm not saying the referenced article is wrong, but it's super anecdotal in regards to it's thesis; that more rich people are prepping than before.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:40 am

Yes! When the New Yorker writes about West Coast tech millionaires buying islands, it is a thing.

You can hear an interview with the writer of the article here :

http://www.npr.org/2017/01/28/511911683 ... r-director
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

LyraJean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (Sidney Poitier)
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Post by LyraJean » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:12 pm

Could this just help the prepper movement in the same way that research increased for Parkinson's disease when Michael J. Fox contracted that disease. I could help normalize it especially if he is doing normal prepper things.
My blog: Beyond Tourism: Florida's Yesteryear A blog about Florida History

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:00 am

Using the link that was provided by Evan the Diplomat, I arrived at this link and this quote:

http://www.npr.org/2017/01/25/511507434 ... r-doomsday

What he was referring to was something you hear across these conversations and that's the idea that
we are ultimately held together by a kind of commitment to the United States as a functioning entity. It's a
sort of consensus, a belief that our politics are possible, that it's worth participating, that our institutions are
sound, that the president, for instance, will abide by the Constitution, that the courts will have the say over
the things which the constitution allows them to govern, so what they feel, the survivalists in Silicon Valley
and in finance circles in New York who are expressing this view, is that they are worried that there's been this
creeping disrespect for fairly basic institutions in American life, the things that people used to believe were
sources of authority.
I"m particularly happy to hear this sentiment crosses political boundaries. I personally have felt a disrespect for basic American institutions creeping in for quite some time. I"m pretty sure that disrespect started before I was born.

Personally I feel there has become a focus on "winning" in politics rather than "commitment to the institutions and rules." Maybe now people will start to care more about the institutions.

*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Hiroshima_Morphine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Gone With The Wind - wait maybe I just felt
like a zombie after watching it for the 100th time as a kid.

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:33 am

IMHO: the more people that are prepared the better. Now the headline makes a 'tin foil hat' insinuation that 'the rich' know something we don't. You can have your opinion on that and I'll choose to keep mine to myself. But the best thing that can happen for preppers today and humanity tomorrow is for prepping to become mainstream.

Look at it this way- let's say there are three men with families who live in small town USA. Let's assume that they all enjoy shooting sports. Lets call them Bob, Jim and Ron.

If Bob is prepped and has food, water, gasoline etc. and Jim and Ron don't. Jim and Ron will do what they have to provide for their families and might even work together to liberate Bob of his supplies.

If in the next scenario- Bob and Jim are both prepped. They can work together and hopefully help Ron- but if need be they can better protect themselves and their families against Ron.

But if Bob, Jim and Ron are all prepped- their friendship should relatively endure in a PAW and they can all work together and sing kum-bye-ah every night around the campfire.

In this world today we are too dependent on others- that may be services bought (like groceries) or Government assistantance when all goes wrong (like FEMA). What happens when neither of these functions properly? What happened to self reliance and responsibility?
Commies to the left of me, Nazis to the right
Here I am stuck in the middle... with you?

Twitter: @AnonymityGone

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:08 am

More of the super-rich buying over-the-top bunkers to ride out the apocalypse. I question the wisdom of this strategy - especially once the post-crash pitchforks and torches start going after those blamed for causing any financial collapse - but it's a sign of the times.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 33641.html

The super-rich and ultra-paranoid are preparing for the breakup of civilisation by purchasing of apocalypse-safe bunkers worth millions of pounds.

The 15-storey underground luxury compounds are said by the sellers to be able to withstand everything from extreme weather like tornadoes, to a full blown nuclear attack.

Located in the US state of Kansas, the hardened structures were originally missile silos, built by the US Army Corps of Engineers.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:47 pm

The super rich are buying stock. The stock market is showing crazy returns this year.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:19 pm

Stercutus wrote:The super rich are buying stock. The stock market is showing crazy returns this year.

The super rich can afford to buy both simultaneous. :D

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:34 pm

raptor wrote:
Stercutus wrote:The super rich are buying stock. The stock market is showing crazy returns this year.

The super rich can afford to buy both simultaneous. :D
Good point. A five million dollar bunker looks like cheap insurance for the ZPAW when your holdings are in the billions.
Shall be my brother

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:58 pm

Yep. Buy the stocks pledge them as collaral on a sweetheart margin loan at 1+/- % and the interest is 100% deductible as investment interest and the dividends pays the vig.

yadayada

Post by yadayada » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:24 pm

It is prudent and smart to prepare for the worst. A good portion of the rich didn't become rich by being stupid.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:26 pm

yadayada wrote:It is prudent and smart to prepare for the worst. A good portion of the rich didn't become rich by being stupid.
Ergo,the stupid ones inherited their wealth?
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:41 am

teotwaki wrote:
yadayada wrote:It is prudent and smart to prepare for the worst. A good portion of the rich didn't become rich by being stupid.
Ergo,the stupid ones inherited their wealth?
I was thinking the stupid ones played the lottery and won. But the lottery winners don't stay rich long. If their "friends" and family don't kill them off they blow all the money on drugs, gambling, hookers and dumb stuff.
Shall be my brother

by-the-throat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Dead Alive
Land of the Dead
Army of Darkness
Zombieland

Post by by-the-throat » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:11 am

The real question is, can they buy preparedness?

They can buy shit and pile shit to the sky, but how many of them are practicing their skillset? Are they planning to sharecrop and hire mercenaries as well? I suppose that's possible, but only as long as the trade goods share out.

Still, if the rich are increasingly prepping (and that's a big if, I have no real data) that brings up a number of interesting implications.

1) What do they know that we don't? They move in higher circles socially and politically than we do and could theoretically have access to more information. Is something coming? (Or is something coming that is specifically targeting them, like an "eat-the-rich" movement?)
2) Is the market for survival related goods and gear going to get more expensive as wonder devices become the norm for preparedness rather than primitive skills and military surplus gear? (Honestly, this change has been happening for awhile, right? How many gun gizmos and SHTF wondertools are just overpriced and shitty replacements for skills?) Still, if the super rich are driving the market, what's gonna happen to the price of MRE's?
3) What are the social implications? The rich and famous drive the social narrative; their lives are under intense scrutiny. Could this actually move prepping into the mainstream, like the actual mainstream not the "oh look at this charming freaks" Discovery Channel kind of mainstream? My belief is that the more people who are prepared, the less likely an actual breakdown of society actually is, due to the increased resilience of social institutions when their members stay alive. Could the glitterati actually prevent the apocalypse? :awesome:

Just some thoughts on my end. For what it's worth, I think the super rich have always done some prepping; they are sometimes the ones funding the larger, shadier survival or militia groups. None of the data in any of these articles is actually pointing to such a trend, but if such a trend exists, the implications are potentially huge.
From The Codex Kalachnikova: "He who would have you surrender your arms does so because he wishes to do something you could prevent by their usage."
Last Call, Last Stand - The Crystal Menage - SF in Babylon - REMC Guide

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:55 pm

They can buy shit and pile shit to the sky, but how many of them are practicing their skillset?
Their skillset is doling out resources and snippets of power to underlings who will do the rest.
Shall be my brother

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:24 pm

Stercutus wrote:
They can buy shit and pile shit to the sky, but how many of them are practicing their skillset?
Their skillset is doling out resources and snippets of power to underlings who will do the rest.
In theory that works. In a short term SHTF situation it will work.

But in reality power and skills that are purchased will continue to work only so long as the underlings are willing to work for the resources that Mr./Ms. Big have to give out in exchange.

Hiroshima_Morphine

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:46 pm

raptor wrote:
Stercutus wrote:
In theory that works. In a short term SHTF situation it will work.

But in reality power and skills that are purchased will continue to work only so long as the underlings are willing to work for the resources that Mr./Ms. Big have to give out in exchange.
This is making an assumption that some form of capitalism would still be in service. Serfdom is more likely a scenario in a PAW.

Of course, you have to pay the brute squad with something-

We humans are very simple creatures, really- if you provide us with a consistent supply of food and sex we will accept almost any yolk.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:43 pm

Hiroshima_Morphine wrote: We humans are very simple creatures, really- if you provide us with a consistent supply of food and sex we will accept almost any yolk.
Some people will.
No doubt some would willing trade freedom for even the illusion of safety.

However, especially in a "serfdom situation", it is unlikely that Mr./Ms. Big will anything but a figure head, if they are that lucky. What history has shown in these situations war lords frequently arise, seize control by using Mr/Ms Big as the common enemy to rally support.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:07 pm

raptor wrote:
Hiroshima_Morphine wrote: We humans are very simple creatures, really- if you provide us with a consistent supply of food and sex we will accept almost any yolk.
Some people will.
No doubt some would willing trade freedom for even the illusion of safety.

However, especially in a "serfdom situation", it is unlikely that Mr./Ms. Big will anything but a figure head, if they are that lucky. What history has shown in these situations war lords frequently arise, seize control by using Mr/Ms Big as the common enemy to rally support.
Sure, longer term unless Mr. Big becomes the said warlord himself. But even a warlord needs an upper class to squeeze for resources or else you have Somalia. The Ms. Bigs are going to be few and far between if history is any guide.

One thing that stuck with me about the war torn Middle East. All the rich and upper middle class live and work in what are essentially guarded fortified compounds. These increase as the stature and wealth of the person increases. The super rich live in large fortresses. Everyone has a few guys with guns (often family members) that he can count on near him and more he could call on if the need be.
Shall be my brother

Hiroshima_Morphine

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:04 pm

raptor wrote: No doubt some would willing trade freedom for even the illusion of safety.
That pretty much summarizes my views on modern society as a whole. But I'll stop myself there- :wink:

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:14 am

Latest "billionaire bunkers" update from the MSM.

http://edition.cnn.com/style/article/do ... index.html

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:31 pm

My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Dooms

Post by Dooms » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:40 pm

Working in commercial real estate field, I had the opportunity to be friendly with a few multi-millionaires and billionaires and I can tell you most of these guys are essentially preppers, but they do it naturally. They know cash talks, so they keep stacks of bills on hand just in case. Their homes have back-up generators, back up phone lines, back up security systems. Their pantries and wine cellars are well stocked. They keep close knit friends of similar financial stature, social stature, and mental acuity. They have multiple vehicles and multiple locations they can bug out to.

They're already much better off than the average prepper (never mind citizen) in an emergency and they know it. The only thing that's really changed is now they're recognizing wealth and social connections alone may no longer make them immune to the happenings of the world. They're looking for an edge, just like they do in business.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”