Underwater shelter

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

velojym
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido

Underwater shelter

Post by velojym » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:58 am

Whether zeds, MZBs, or others who might find you tasty, seems like it'd be hard for a low-tech horde to find you if you built a nice, comfy little bugout shelter and sank it in a lake.
If it was deep at all, you'd need SCUBA or really well trained lungs.

I was thinking of something like a couple of (unused) propane tanks big enough to stand in, or anything that could take the pressure of your selected depth, resting on pilings, connected by a strong 'wetroom' which would act as the main entryway.

Obviously, for stealth purposes, you can't moor or anchor a boat just above the house when you get there, so maybe a modified jonboat or the like, tanked and valved to be sinkable on demand, with compressed air to raise it back up (by filling bladders) when time to leave. It can be driven by an electric system derived from the 'scooters' popular with divers, and the entry way could be made large enough to park the boat if you're feeling ambitious.

Power could be provided in a few ways. If in an area that experiences tidal pressure, maybe that could be harnessed. Solar, wind, or even a stealthy connection to an existing land house could be run underground and into the lake. Water surrounding the shelter can be treated to be drinkable, and some food could be had by fishing in the 'foyer'. Crab/lobster traps, too, depending on location.
You could have a stealth garden onshore, too, if coming and going isn't a problem. Or, if not too deep, maybe even a greenhouse facility inside the shelter.

This is 'pie in the sky', sure. But seems like a fun idea to pursue, if nothing other than a mental exercise.
Wouldn't it be great if all wars could be fought just by the assholes who started them?
-The Postman

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Underwater shelter

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:19 am

I'd contribute to this thread but doing so would involve disclosing details and hints about the location of my Jules Verne-esque Nautilus-type submersible.

Suffice it to say that a submarine is the answer to your technical concerns, particularly one powered by harnessing the nearly unlimited potential made available by unlocking the mysteries of the atom.

Beyond that, the sea is a bountiful garden that can provide for all of man's needs. Dealing with the occasional kraken or mutinous crew is but a small price to pay for such abundance.

Now if you'll excuse me, I must return to brooding over the helm of my magnificent vessel.

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:24 am

I think the thing you are looking for is called a submarine - http://www.maritimesales.com/PI12.htm
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

velojym
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido

Post by velojym » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:39 pm

A sub would be sweet, but propulsion on a boat big enough to be comfortable would be a lot more expensive, I would think.

Been a LONG time since I read Jules. I need to pick that one up again. :clap:
Wouldn't it be great if all wars could be fought just by the assholes who started them?
-The Postman

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:43 pm

00dlez wrote:I think the thing you are looking for is called a submarine - http://www.maritimesales.com/PI12.htm
O jeez a used ex-Soviet Subarmine that has been decommission for 25 years and is thus 50 +/- years old. Can you say deferred maintenance, leaks and lord knows what.

Still it would be fun to go get a state boat registration for it or USCG documentation to register it just see what they would say.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:55 pm

The dream!

The reality

Plus support vessel for air, power, fresh water, etc, etc./
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:46 pm

Shit, I just started on my earth-ship bunker/house. Now I'll have to wait for global warming to submerge it.
Boldly going nowhere

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:51 pm

Zimmy wrote:Shit, I just started on my earth-ship bunker/house. Now I'll have to wait for global warming to submerge it.
Just build it on a beach and wait?
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

Benbrutal

Post by Benbrutal » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:53 pm

If you have a pond on your BOL, which is a good idea anyway, you could have what appears to be a floating dock with an entrance to an underwater emergency bunker. I wouldn't want to live permanently under water without one of those small Toshiba nuke plants, but it could work out as an emergency hide.
Preparedness: The difference between can-of-food and cannibal.
The big feral hogs are only good for sausage, but the young ones can be made into bacon,
and once you have bacon, you win!

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:03 pm

This Submarine is Sold and we do not have more information about who bought it or where it is.
Please do not write requesting a submarine since we will not reply
The photos are here for peoples curiosity only.
Good luck with that.

The best part about an underwater lair is the electric eel guard dogs.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

norcalprep

Post by norcalprep » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:22 pm

There's always the Migaloo http://www.migaloo-submarines.com

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:01 am

Stercutus wrote:
This Submarine is Sold and we do not have more information about who bought it or where it is.
Please do not write requesting a submarine since we will not reply
The photos are here for peoples curiosity only.
Good luck with that.

The best part about an underwater lair is the electric eel guard dogs.

The worst part is the septic system. Gives new meaning to the term "floaters". :gonk:
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

Close_enough

Post by Close_enough » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:33 pm

norcalprep wrote:There's always the Migaloo http://www.migaloo-submarines.com

You beat me to it.

Though, the ability to temporarily submerge would be an effective defence against anything without ASW capabilities.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:34 pm

The Nightmare!

Which inspired this

My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:15 pm

This reminds me of the airship BOL thread.

While a nice fantasy, an underwater or in the air BOL just doesn't seem practical unless your ultra wealthy and can afford some of those billion dollar toys.

I did enjoy looking through the Migaloo site, amazing there are people wealthy enough for a company to provide subs and floating islands for them. But for most of us, that sort of thing is just beyond reach.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:56 pm

You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

norcalprep

Post by norcalprep » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:54 pm

ineffableone wrote:This reminds me of the airship BOL thread.

While a nice fantasy, an underwater or in the air BOL just doesn't seem practical unless your ultra wealthy and can afford some of those billion dollar toys.

I did enjoy looking through the Migaloo site, amazing there are people wealthy enough for a company to provide subs and floating islands for them. But for most of us, that sort of thing is just beyond reach.
I would rate the chance of a zombiepocalypse occurring as the same as if I were to suddenly come into billions of dollars (tax free hopefully, but I'm not picky). If I am currently preparing for zombies, it would behoove me to also prepare for my eventual financial windfall.

Thus, the Migaloo!

Wraith6761

Post by Wraith6761 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:18 pm

raptor wrote:
00dlez wrote:I think the thing you are looking for is called a submarine - http://www.maritimesales.com/PI12.htm
O jeez a used ex-Soviet Subarmine that has been decommission for 25 years and is thus 50 +/- years old. Can you say deferred maintenance, leaks and lord knows what.

Still it would be fun to go get a state boat registration for it or USCG documentation to register it just see what they would say.
Ah c'mon, the Soviets had amazing quality control.... :roll:

It'd be worth it to see the looks and reactions you'd get surfacing that thing near a CG cutter though...once it's properly registered of course.
Woods Walker wrote:...I don't think it matters if a backpack has Dora the Explorer on it. Based on my observations from years of hunting and fishing if something looks and acts like prey it will draw in predators.

quazi

Post by quazi » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:35 pm

Not quite as cool, but way more feasible, might be a beaver lodge kind of shelter.

Beaver's build their lodges with the only entrance being underwater, so you have to swim into it.

You could build a pretty hardcore bunker with only small holes for air exchange above ground, and the entrance under the water. Something like a concrete geodesic dome with plenty of reinforcement maybe? If someone came across it there would be no readily apparent way in. Even if it was really tough, I would put a lot of work into camouflaging it, as if some raider or even bored teenagers came across it they might feel a strong urge to find out what's inside the weird structure. Beaver lodges to a pretty good job of keeping things out, but I've seen ones that have been ripped open by other animals. (Beavers usually build more than one lodge, and if the one they're in gets attacked they swim to a backup.)

The idea doesn't appeal to me, as I don't want to risk hypothermia every time I enter or leave my shelter. Someplace warmer it might actually work fairly well.

KGBrick

Post by KGBrick » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:34 pm

Wraith6761 wrote:
raptor wrote:

It'd be worth it to see the looks and reactions you'd get surfacing that thing near a CG cutter though...once it's properly registered of course.
I think I'll do that the first few times via remote control...

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:14 pm

KGBrick wrote:
Wraith6761 wrote:
raptor wrote:

Honestly I think it would be funnier to submerge next to them.

I would assume you could on be boarded for a "courtesy" safety and MSD check pretty much every time you tied up or left the harbor...assuming of course the thing did not sink once the dock lines were untied.

KGBrick

Post by KGBrick » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:35 pm

raptor wrote:
KGBrick wrote:
Wraith6761 wrote: Ah c'mon, the Soviets had amazing quality control.... :roll:

Honestly I think it would be funnier to submerge next to them.

I would assume you could on be boarded for a "courtesy" safety and MSD check pretty much every time you tied up or left the harbor...assuming of course the thing did not sink once the dock lines were untied.
That plus I expect you'd get to join some exclusive watch lists, be shadowed by CG/USN/foreign equivalent vessels everywhere you go, and maybe there would be some bright regulatory types inventing new rules just for your pleasure. I wonder how they'd get you to surface for "safety" checks while you're at sea and submerged, though? :v: Anyone still use signalling/"practice" depth charges?

Close_enough

Post by Close_enough » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:32 pm

quazi wrote:.

You could build a pretty hardcore bunker with only small holes for air exchange above ground, and the entrance under the water. .
A retractable snorkel/periscope would be a very nice touch on a subaquatic shelter. Besides, the whole point of a bunker is to sit tight and wait out the crisis.

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:29 pm

There is a cheaper way to that floating island...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ttles.html
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”