They Ate My Peanut Butter

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Stercutus

They Ate My Peanut Butter

Post by Stercutus » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:16 am

Teenagers.

So present in the present that the present is all there is.

Long summer.

When I started the summer I had eight jars of peanut butter. This is supposed to be a six month supply for the whole family. I was looking at the frig the other day and peanut butter was on the shopping list. "Ridiculous", says I and tromp on down to the basement to see an empty shelf. Looked around to make sure it wasn't misplaced. Nope we are out of the brown protein butter. A huge staple for the "in case" of supplies.

Luckily for me, back to school sales at the grocery store were timed just right. I bought all they had left within the allowed quantities which wasn't enough since a lot of people were buying it to at big sale prices. I guess I will get them next time.

Two weeks later... peanut butter is on the list again... Inconceivable! A trot down to the basement. Somebody had placed it on the wrong shelf... still... they buy their lunch at school... we feed them breakfast and dinner.... the wife and I rarely eat the stuff... How they heck did they eat an entire jar in two weeks?

Teenagers.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Re: They Ate My Peanut Butter

Post by Ad'lan » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:16 am

Munchies....
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:48 am

I think the lesson here is I need to revise some numbers up to account for particular growth spurts and energy levels. An ounce of peanut butter has 200 calories. A 36 ounce jar has 7200 calories. The teens consumed an extra 515 calories of food a day without gaining an ounce. They are healthy weight and very active.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:51 am

Kids (or bored people) will chew thru massive amounts of chow in very short order.

I knew a family with teens that had to put a chain and lock on the fridge to keep food in the kitchen for the rest of the family.

OTOH, you were able to have the BP consumed before it went rancid....
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:24 am

I just rechecked those were 40oz jars...

:o

It also got me on a deep dive digging and sorting mission. The tuna fish took a big hit too. For some inexplicable reasons the pasta sauce was about half what it is supposed to be.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead" on AMC

Post by Tobias05 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:54 am

Just checked my PB stash. Currently sitting at 4 jars. Grew up on PBnJ sandwiches.

I remember making a high school science class video about the noble gasses, where, in a "commercial break", we consumed large amounts of pb and turned into superheroes.

Coincidentally, and a complete accident on our part, but the symbol pb stands for lead on the periodic table of elements. We weren't even paying attention to what we did but the teacher loved it and gave us an A on the project.

I always make sure i have some wheat snack bread, and chunky peanut butter packets, in my EDC or GHB...

love my pb.

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:32 am

Peanut butter is almost its own food group. There's very little that a quality pb&j and a cup of coffee can't fix.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:41 am

Tough love or innovation required for the actual PAW.

or

Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

ImageImageImage

Neville

Post by Neville » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:24 pm

Stercutus wrote:I just rechecked those were 40oz jars...

:o

It also got me on a deep dive digging and sorting mission. The tuna fish took a big hit too. For some inexplicable reasons the pasta sauce was about half what it is supposed to be.
I think it points out that you need to secure the storage food. Not because you don't want them to have it... sure, let them have it... but YOU need to be aware of the consumption for your inventory. It would be no good to find yourself on the eve of the apocalypse and find you only have HALF what you thought you had, because people took things, didn't record it in the inventory, and then didn't replace it. Finding out after the power's off on the mainland, and all the shopping malls are closed, would be an awful way to discover the true state of your inventory.
Sarah : THIS SHOWS THE 15th AS THE LAST TIME YOU TOOK ANY OUT. THAT CAN'T BE RIGHT.

Rickles: OH, YEAH. WE FORGET TO WRITE 'EM UP SOMETIMES.

Sarah : (incredulous) YOU'VE GOT TO WRITE THEM UP! IT'S ESSENTIAL! CAN'T YOU GET THAT THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULL? HOW THE HELL ARE WE SUPPOSED TO KEEP TRACK OF HOW MANY WE'VE GOT LEFT?
Maybe one reason that they're going through the PB so quick is that it is convenient. Maybe they are not making the most of school lunches, eating a serving of whatever they like best and tossing the rest. If they didn't have unlimited snackage at home, digging into PB any time they want, they might actually eat that green jello with shredded carrots... I didn't like the stuff, but it was food and I was hungry, so I usually ate it. See if making other snacks (whatever equivalent of green jello and shredded carrots you can manage, something they don't especially LIKE, but readily available) convenient and available makes a difference - AFTER you secure the prep food.

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:22 pm

Neville wrote: See if making other snacks (whatever equivalent of green jello and shredded carrots you can manage, something they don't especially LIKE, but readily available) convenient and available makes a difference - AFTER you secure the prep food.

...or perhaps just increase how much peanut butter you buy each month to meet demand. :roll:

Unless the peanut butter is ruinously expensive or unhealthy, what's the problem with them eating it? That is, after all, what food is for and this is an excellent example of "store what you use, use what you store", and stock rotation*.
The only problem I'm seeing here i one of inventory tracking, and the suggestion to lock up or otherwise restrict access to the long term food storage seems a good one. As it's unlikely that everyone in the household is going to remember to keep any sort of ledger updated as they take food I'd suggest that the long term food storage be locked up and inventoried and to use a pantry closet as a sort of distribution point. You keep your cases of peanut butter (et al) locked up, and then have a fixed number of jars for the pantry (say 2) which anyone can take to put in the kitchen cupboard as needed.
Think Warehouse-retail-consumer. Food storage=warehouse. Retail=pantry. Kitchen cupboard=consumer.
You track your stock by how quickly your retail location is being depleted, which tells you how much to reorder to keep your warehouse stocked. The once or twice a year you can inventory your warehouse area to check for discrepancies.

If you try to get everyone to record every time they open a new can of peanut butter you're going to have poor compliance.
Likewise only releasing one can <of whatever> at a time is going to turn into a PITA and will also likely lead to sloppy adherence to records keeping.

I suppose we'll have to get a kick-starter going for him to buy a bank vault for his peanut butter stash!
:awesome:

*As long as the kids are taking the jars based on FIFO.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:11 am

Peanut Butter is actually quite healthy. My kids are nowhere near being overweight; so there is no way I'd lock up food.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

quazi

Post by quazi » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:27 pm

When one of the jars gets mostly empty, mix some habanero juice in with it.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:37 pm

I think the problem is an inventory problem. You need to increase your inventory physical counts. Also here is a tip put a post it note on the last second to last (or whatever unit minimum stocking unit you want) and tell whomever takes this jar/can/etc to put the note on the reorder board. The post it note should say "last unit peanut butter" (or whatever it is) do this for all high demand items like peanut butter. At least that way you know when to reorder.

When I had teens the house I was grateful that they only ate all the food in the house. I was more concerned about the grog locker and spare car keys. :wink:

Neville

Post by Neville » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:53 pm

LowKey wrote:
Neville wrote: See if making other snacks (whatever equivalent of green jello and shredded carrots you can manage, something they don't especially LIKE, but readily available) convenient and available makes a difference - AFTER you secure the prep food.

...or perhaps just increase how much peanut butter you buy each month to meet demand. :roll:

Unless the peanut butter is ruinously expensive or unhealthy, what's the problem with them eating it? That is, after all, what food is for and this is an excellent example of "store what you use, use what you store", and stock rotation*.

*As long as the kids are taking the jars based on FIFO.
Have you shopped for pb lately? A 40 oz jar is about $5 so if they are going through a whole jar every week that is an additional $20 per month on the grocery bill. If you can afford that without having to sacrifice somewhere else, and your kids (unlike the majority of palid jelly blobs these days) are not overweight, then have at it. But do you not want to know what your kids are eating and how much? Are they eating theit meat, rice and vegetables for dinner, or are they all tanked up on peanut butter from snacking because they were impatient for dad to get home for dinner, and it was convenient? I say this not directed at OP but at anyone with kids. Peanut butter isn't per se unhealthy but yhat assumes an otherwise balanced diet with fruit, vegies, dairy, fiber etc...

My main point was about inventory control and that without it you don't know what you have vs what you think you should have. And that come SHTF, surprises like that are not a good thing.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:02 pm

Had ZombieGramps check my math -

40 ounces, 2 kids, 14 days...
2.86 tablespoons per kid per day, a serving is 2 tablespoons.

No big eating frenzy, the kids came home from school and each ate 1 peanut butter sandwich.
That's the result.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:18 am

When you have several kids, it's easy to lose track of the food stores even when they are eating reasonable amounts. It all adds up to totals that feel unreasonable.

Peanut butter saved my kid's life. He was diagnosed failure to thrive at six months and had a script for Pediasure. It used to be you weren't supposed to give kids under two peanut products. He kept failing to gain weight until he hit two and I started giving him PB. That finally got him gaining enough that he was no longer wasting.

In my house, there were fights over PB and bread. Somebody would forget to close the bread and it would all fall on the floor or somebody would finish off the PB leaving others to feel they hadn't gotten their fair share. To remedy this, they each get their own loaf of bread and their own jar of PB. Haven't had bread on the floor since.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”