Some Hobo/Fema Signs for you and yours

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
SouthernZombie
*
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:18 pm
Location: Western NC

Re: Some Hobo/Fema Signs for you and yours

Post by SouthernZombie » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:34 am

@teotwaki, I just want to give back to a community I've gotten so much from. Plus, if things go south and people use similar signals, it'll become a community resource.

Knowing to not go into a building because there are Zed or that there's a well nearby for resupply could save lives.
"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
Carl Sagan

User avatar
SouthernZombie
*
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:18 pm
Location: Western NC

Re: Some Hobo/Fema Signs for you and yours

Post by SouthernZombie » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:44 pm

Hey guys,

So I was looking at these sign cards in my BoB and thought, "umm, I'm wasting space with these things. I have an entire backside that is blank!"

So what would be a useful thing that you could give everyone in your outfit? Well, for my first rendition of a second side, I chose how to skin a squirrel. I figured squirrels are plentiful and nearly everywhere in the States. They're easy to hunt, a simple snare or .22 will get you a squirrel. So I present easy to print, four to a page handout you can print out and use some packaging tape to stick to the back of the hobo signs as a poor man's laminate. Hopefully I'll also get the initiative to also make a few other, easy print cards.

*Note, I don't take credit for the writing. I just shortened The Art of Manlinesses How to field dress a squirrel to the essentials. All credit for the writing and research is owed to them. Check out the full article here. http://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/01/1 ... -squirrel/

Download the easy print cards here. https://www.dropbox.com/s/15333eo9aa7i5 ... l.pdf?dl=0
"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
Carl Sagan

User avatar
teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4337
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Some Hobo/Fema Signs for you and yours

Post by teotwaki » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:03 pm

SouthernZombie wrote:

Image
Instead of the letter "B" would a chalk version of the more universal biohazard symbol be better?

Image

It could be drawn more simply with 3 "C" letters overlaid on a circle.

Or is that not as stealthy as just the "B"?
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

User avatar
Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4935
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:17 am
Location: The Mythical State of Jefferson

Re: Some Hobo/Fema Signs for you and yours

Post by Dogan » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:12 am

Anyone know what the "Passed by here" with the left half cut in half again horizontally means? Been seeing it a lot in my AO, at places with no relation to each other. RR signs, churches, junction boxes...
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

taipan821
* * *
Posts: 563
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:58 am

Re: Some Hobo/Fema Signs for you and yours

Post by taipan821 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:43 pm

southernzombie, depending on your predicament, would instructions of communication be a good idea?

that way you could describe a discreet message system (code) or ensure everyone knows simple distress messages?
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017
Watsonville/Walsh River Bushfire 2018
North Queensland Monsoonal Event 2019
New South Wales Bushfires 2019

User avatar
Maeklos
* * * * *
Posts: 2185
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:00 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (the original), Resident Evil
Contact:

Re: Some Hobo/Fema Signs for you and yours

Post by Maeklos » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:41 pm

Heck, if you want to get all cloak-and-daggery with leaving secret messages almost no one can read except the people you want to be able to read them, pick up a created/fantasy language. Like Mando'a.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mando%27a/Legends

http://www.mandoa.org/

Image

Doing so gives you:

a ) A written and spoken language that is completely indecipherable to anyone and is not easily translatable as it isn't easily apparent as being not a real language.

b ) An alternate alphabet that can be used either for its intended language or as a simple substitution cipher for English phrases.
Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

User avatar
SouthernZombie
*
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:18 pm
Location: Western NC

Re: Some Hobo/Fema Signs for you and yours

Post by SouthernZombie » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:54 pm

I really like the idea of the made up scifi/fantasy language. The only downside is if you're in a rush symbols are faster but for leaving a detailed message you can't beat a "fake" language.

Now to go learn some Dothraki.... 8-)
"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
Carl Sagan

User avatar
teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4337
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Some Hobo/Fema Signs for you and yours

Post by teotwaki » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:27 pm

Necro time and something new for the Naysayers to whine about.... :lol:


My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4565
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Some Hobo/Fema Signs for you and yours

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:40 pm

teotwaki wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:27 pm
Necro time and something new for the Naysayers to whine about.... :lol:


:clap:

ETA:


User avatar
Brekar
* *
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:22 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead - Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead - Zombieland - Dead Snow - etc...
Location: Earth

Re: Some Hobo/Fema Signs for you and yours

Post by Brekar » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:57 pm

Ever since we noticed these type of symbols being use in some form or another on The Walking Dead, me and some friends have been testing what you could make the symbols with to either have them gone by the end of the day, be semi permanent, and so on. The idea was depending on the symbol you might want it to last until seen and then removed, or be more permanent, such as a safe location marker.
Our idea was that it had to be easily accessible marking materials that can be found around your home, work, vehicle etc, such as pencils, pens, markers, and so forth.

User avatar
teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4337
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Some Hobo/Fema Signs for you and yours

Post by teotwaki » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:39 pm

Brekar wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:57 pm
Ever since we noticed these type of symbols being use in some form or another on The Walking Dead, me and some friends have been testing what you could make the symbols with to either have them gone by the end of the day, be semi permanent, and so on. The idea was depending on the symbol you might want it to last until seen and then removed, or be more permanent, such as a safe location marker.
Our idea was that it had to be easily accessible marking materials that can be found around your home, work, vehicle etc, such as pencils, pens, markers, and so forth.
Pretty cool the show inspired you to look into the symbols. Did you come up with choices for what to use for marking? Any consideration for post-PAW shortages of writing implements?
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

User avatar
Brekar
* *
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:22 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead - Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead - Zombieland - Dead Snow - etc...
Location: Earth

Re: Some Hobo/Fema Signs for you and yours

Post by Brekar » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:07 am

We did come up with several symbols, most based loosely off hobo symbols, other stuff we have shared interest in.
We started doing this in Feb 2017, nothing to scientific, just taking pictures of the progress of it and leaving everything out in the weather 100% of the time here in Mo. Currently the testing is still going on.

We started on plywood, glass, and some other mediums such as duct tape, plastic, cardboard, etc...

Our thought on post-PAW shortage was that you would use anything you could write with, even if it wasn't a conventional writing tool. So we used conventional items such as pencils, pens, sharpies, just to name a few, and went unconventional with items such as finger paints, lit cigar, burnt willow branch, old makeup wife had around, wax pen, liquid soap with and without dirt mixed in, Vaseline, burts bees wax, liquid paper, even mud, just to name a few. We then put all of those, plus others on the mediums and left them in my yard ever since.
The idea was to test the longevity of odd items vs. regular items to write with on common materials when left exposed to the elements like it would be in the PAW...

You'd be surprised how long some of these have lasted...

User avatar
teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4337
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Some Hobo/Fema Signs for you and yours

Post by teotwaki » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:57 am

Brekar wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:07 am
We did come up with several symbols, most based loosely off hobo symbols, other stuff we have shared interest in.
We started doing this in Feb 2017, nothing to scientific, just taking pictures of the progress of it and leaving everything out in the weather 100% of the time here in Mo. Currently the testing is still going on.

We started on plywood, glass, and some other mediums such as duct tape, plastic, cardboard, etc...

Our thought on post-PAW shortage was that you would use anything you could write with, even if it wasn't a conventional writing tool. So we used conventional items such as pencils, pens, sharpies, just to name a few, and went unconventional with items such as finger paints, lit cigar, burnt willow branch, old makeup wife had around, wax pen, liquid soap with and without dirt mixed in, Vaseline, burts bees wax, liquid paper, even mud, just to name a few. We then put all of those, plus others on the mediums and left them in my yard ever since.
The idea was to test the longevity of odd items vs. regular items to write with on common materials when left exposed to the elements like it would be in the PAW...

You'd be surprised how long some of these have lasted...

Full report and pictures are required ya' know! :mrgreen:

Can't just tease us and run away, LOL
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4565
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Some Hobo/Fema Signs for you and yours

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:10 am

teotwaki wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:57 am
Brekar wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:07 am
We did come up with several symbols, most based loosely off hobo symbols, other stuff we have shared interest in.
We started doing this in Feb 2017, nothing to scientific, just taking pictures of the progress of it and leaving everything out in the weather 100% of the time here in Mo. Currently the testing is still going on.

We started on plywood, glass, and some other mediums such as duct tape, plastic, cardboard, etc...

Our thought on post-PAW shortage was that you would use anything you could write with, even if it wasn't a conventional writing tool. So we used conventional items such as pencils, pens, sharpies, just to name a few, and went unconventional with items such as finger paints, lit cigar, burnt willow branch, old makeup wife had around, wax pen, liquid soap with and without dirt mixed in, Vaseline, burts bees wax, liquid paper, even mud, just to name a few. We then put all of those, plus others on the mediums and left them in my yard ever since.
The idea was to test the longevity of odd items vs. regular items to write with on common materials when left exposed to the elements like it would be in the PAW...

You'd be surprised how long some of these have lasted...
Full report and pictures are required ya' know! :mrgreen:

Can't just tease us and run away, LOL
Yes. It's in the rules. :mrgreen:

User avatar
Brekar
* *
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:22 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead - Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead - Zombieland - Dead Snow - etc...
Location: Earth

Re: Some Hobo/Fema Signs for you and yours

Post by Brekar » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:05 pm

LOL. OK will do just give me a few days, work is insane right now...

User avatar
teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4337
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Some Hobo/Fema Signs for you and yours

Post by teotwaki » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:40 am

Brekar wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:05 pm
LOL. OK will do just give me a few days, work is insane right now...
Thanks!! Everyone on ZS will appreciate it when you are able to share the info
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Post Reply

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”