Rain Water Collection

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Rain Water Collection

Post by Neptune Glory » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:59 pm

Hi everyone,

After reading "The Global Risks Report 2016, 11th Edition" by the World Economic Forum, I've decided to look quite seriously into rainwater collection, both for potable and non-potable use.

At the moment, it seems that a large rooftop that has been set up for rainwater collection would be ideal. Gutters would carry water not down the sides of the structure and away from it's base, but rather collect the rain water for later use.

The least expensive option is probably to modify an existing house's roof / gutters / etc with this in mind. However, my spouse and I are not planning to remain in the house we live in for more than another two decades... we'll likely purchase a smaller ranch house so that stairs and such won't be a problem when we become elderly.

I'm thinking of looking for such a ranch house on a 2-5 acre property, and then constructing a large car port... concrete floor, plenty of room for parking a mobile home, pickup truck, smaller car, and so on... but that the roof of this structure could be purpose-built for rainwater collection, by professionals.

Any thoughts?

Best wishes,
-Neptune
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

Maeklos
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (the original), Resident Evil

Re: Rain Water Collection

Post by Maeklos » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:43 pm

If you want a simple system for collecting rainwater and have standard aluminum gutters and spouts, it's not too hard to shorten a downspout, put in a couple of elbows, and make it so that it dumps water into a barrel. Not ideal and you only wind up with a water reservoir that's only as big as the barrel you use - plus everything goes through your gutters and can pick up debris - but this is a relatively inexpensive way to collect water, since the parts you need for the downspout modification will run you less than $10 at a Home Depot. Then all you're out is the cost of a barrel. But still, can work as a multi-tier system. Use the downspout catch barrel to actually catch the rain, run it through a filter, store it in another (sealable) container for longer-term storage or transport.

If you want to invest a couple hundred bucks, create a raised wooden platform that's high enough that you can roll a barrel underneath it. Build the platform so that the edges are higher than the center - sort of like a really squashed, inverted pyramid - and add a hole in the center that can fit a short length of PVC pipe. Then drop a tarp over the platform, press the center down, and punch a hole in it. Roll a barrel underneath the PVC pipe so that as it rains, water will collect in the tarp, then run down to the center and funnel through the PVC pipe and into the barrel. This is generally easier to keep clean (and can be covered to prevent debris build-up) than collecting gutter runoff. And you can build it for the price of 4 pressured-treated 4x4's, 2-3 sheets of plywood, and a handful of 2x4's or 2x6's.

But those are just a couple DIY ideas off the top of my head.
Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:28 am

I would also advise to add a "first flush" to the system to remove sediments and nasties like bird droppings. How to build one can be seen here: http://arkitrek.com/http:/arkitrek.com/ ... -diverter/

Also, if you want to use it for potable water, make sure the container is not exposed to light. This will allow for the growth of algae which you do not want. Cisterns have been around for centuries, I have a friend who actually bought a house which had one in it and it was built in the 1930s.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Post by Neptune Glory » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:49 am

NamelessStain wrote:Cisterns have been around for centuries, I have a friend who actually bought a house which had one in it and it was built in the 1930s.
I may have to have a house constructed with one or two cisterns integral in the construction, when the day comes. It's a real concern with the strong probability of climate change looming in the horizon... if the pipes go dry, plan B might either be have something like this already in place, or involuntary migration.

I'm not just thinking of my spouse and I, but also our kids / eventual grandkids having a safe place to come to that *can* go off the grid entirely if necessary.
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:37 am

You don't absolutely need to build a cistern into the house. Here's some more links which might help.

http://home.costhelper.com/cistern.html
http://www.motherearthnews.com/homestea ... jzgoe.aspx

And to make sure it's "off grid" compliant:

http://www.waterpumpsdirect.com/pumps/c ... pumps.html
:)
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

jdavidboyd

Post by jdavidboyd » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:26 am

And if you've money to burn, look at www.invisiblestructures.com/rainstore3.html. Very cool solution. Jerry D Young uses them in some of his stories.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
What's so funny 'bout peace, love, and understanding?

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”