How To Defend Your BOL with a Small Group for Dummies

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

woodsghost

Re: How To Defend Your BOL with a Small Group for Dummies

Post by woodsghost » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:55 pm

Ah gee wiz. It's like you all read my mind. And as seen in the video, the same concept can be replicated with ARs of various flavors.

Mostly I was thinking of RPKs and various ARs.

And some of you will read my stuff and see it as super rudementory. I wrote more for those who are very new to all this and either were not infantry, or did not spend obcene amounts of time reading about those who were/are infantry.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:11 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:55 pm
Ah gee wiz. It's like you all read my mind. And as seen in the video, the same concept can be replicated with ARs of various flavors.

Mostly I was thinking of RPKs and various ARs.

And some of you will read my stuff and see it as super rudementory. I wrote more for those who are very new to all this and either were not infantry, or did not spend obcene amounts of time reading about those who were/are infantry.

I enjoy reading your posts. If I can't tell one was rudimentary then I probably learned something new and useful, always a good thing. If I can tell then I probably needed a refresher anyhow. :clap:
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:47 am

If you are faced with a vehicle threat or think you might be you might want something more than 5.56 or 7.62X39. 7.62X51 or X63 make a better anti vehicle type weapon and X51 comes in the AR-10 package. Both have AP and tracer rounds available in the surplus and open markets.

That said any larger caliber rifle fired a whole lot in a short period of time is subject to barrel failure. I've seen an M60 barrel melt in training because the Battalion Cooks (who gives the cooks a machine Gun????) did not change the barrel or even try to.

A lighter rifle barrel will be damaged even faster. I can't speak to the quality of single shot machine gun replica barrels as I have never fired one but I'd be skeptical.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:21 am

A lighter rifle barrel will be damaged even faster. I can't speak to the quality of single shot machine gun replica barrels as I have never fired one but I'd be skeptical.
I'm pretty sure the barrels are original. But not completely sure.
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:43 am

Stercutus wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:47 am
If you are faced with a vehicle threat or think you might be you might want something more than 5.56 or 7.62X39. 7.62X51 or X63 make a better anti vehicle type weapon and X51 comes in the AR-10 package. Both have AP and tracer rounds available in the surplus and open markets.

That said any larger caliber rifle fired a whole lot in a short period of time is subject to barrel failure. I've seen an M60 barrel melt in training because the Battalion Cooks (who gives the cooks a machine Gun????) did not change the barrel or even try to.

We had an old M60 barrel that we decided to shoot to the point of failure. Took a few hundred rounds but we finally did get it to start sagging. Yeah, we were idiots, but we had fun.

And this is just my opinion but, if vehicle threats are really a problem at your BOL then you didn't site your BOL very well. Any vehicle approach should have a means for closing it off, be it with vehicle traps, downed trees, boulders, etc.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Cake? Pie? Nay! Cherpumple FTW! Where is your God now, bitches?

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:20 pm

Yep. However you can't always pick the spot. Sometimes you have to go with whatever you have available. IMO, for vehicle defense it is much better to focus on passive impassible obstacles than to try to stop a vehicle kinetically.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:23 am

I agree with barriers. Drainage ditches of done properly are both discrete and effective against vehicles. However they also provide cover and concealment.

One of the barriers I use to keep trespassers on 4 wheelers out is a simple combination of barbed wire and wire rope. The wire rope is setup in front of the fence so that it takes the initial impact. The wire rope is set on a separate fence post. Obviously a pick up truck would quicky get through but it will be noisy and damaging.

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:24 pm

Free bump
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”