Intermittent fasting as a way of extending rations

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Maast
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead

Intermittent fasting as a way of extending rations

Post by Maast » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:50 pm

I've been doing a 5/2 intermittent fasting for 6+ months now; 2 non-consecutive days during the week I only get 500 calories (which I usually eat in 1 meal @ 4PM ish). On the non-fast days I eat normally.

The most surprising thing is that on my fast days I dont get very hungry, and when I do its only for 5-20 mins and then the hunger goes away for a while. Even when I'm hungry I'm not ravenous, just "yeah, tummy is empty and it'd be nice to have something in it" kind of hunger. This level of hunger isn't changed much by how active or not I am. I've been building a deck lately and have been jobbing my ass off on a fast day and it hasn't bothered me too much.

This is in contrast to me being on a calorie restricted diet, in which case I'm hungry all the damn time. It's like eating over a certain amount teases my body and it wants more. It's miserable and I dont stay on one for very long.

It occurs to me that because of the way the hunger levels are working out intermittent fasting would be a better way of extending scant rations vs just rationing out what everybody gets. It could have positive psychological effects too: "I'm hungry today but I won't be tomorrow" vs "crap, I'm hungry and there's no end in sight".

BTW, I've dropped 12 pounds in the 6 months, easiest diet I've ever been on. Beats atkins as far as staying on it, lost a lot more weight on atkins though.

Thoughts?
"Everybody thinks they're the hero of their own story"

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Re: Intermittent fasting as a way of extending rations

Post by Zimmy » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:30 pm

I've truly starved and I've fasted.

In my experience, starving was truly horrible with a 75 pound drop over 3 weeks. My stomach thought my throat was cut and my throat felt like it. In truth, it gets better about two weeks in (kinda like a nutty prophet stage after 10-14 days). Times were tough and in the control of people not of my tribe.

On the other hand, I experimented with once weekly fasting and had positive emotional and digestive results. I started it for religious reasons but continue whenever I am sick, injured, or otherwise ailing to boost the healing process.

I think this is a good idea. A lot of research has suggested a 24 hour fast at the beginning of a time of hardship to "reset" the metabolism.
Boldly going nowhere

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:31 pm

Maast Congratz. Well done. That type of fasting/diet has gotten a lot of attention.

What's really a coincidence is I just finished a 54 hour fast myself. I did it as a discipline/shed-a-few-pounds/see what moderate hunger is exercise .

During the fast I did all my normal activities plus my cardio/light weightlifting exercise. To push myself just before the end of the fast I did a 3 mile run + 20 minutes on heavy bag routine.

Next week I plan to try intermittent fasting but not sure which ratio yet.
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:12 pm

Maast wrote:I've been doing a 5/2 intermittent fasting for 6+ months now; 2 non-consecutive days during the week I only get 500 calories (which I usually eat in 1 meal @ 4PM ish). On the non-fast days I eat normally.

Thoughts?
What does "normally" entail, calorically?
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:58 pm

Timely thread, I was just starting to ponder just this as a tool. I haven't read any of the snake-oil books on fasting yet (might see if the library has any) but I know for myself I can go quite awhile without food if I push past the hour or so of hunger, I just kind of forget I'm hungry and move on. I'm more in the boat of mental discipline as I really don't want to lose any weight.

I would think the OP is right about the psychological advantages for a group, but I know it wouldn't work for everyone. While I just keep trucking on more or less the same (as long as I have sleep) my wife gets super crabby when she is hungry, in a stressful environment it could lead to poor decision making in short order.

Have you experimented with other times of the day for your 500c meal? If I started I honestly have no idea what time would be best for me.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Maast
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead

Post by Maast » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:12 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote: What does "normally" entail, calorically?
To make a WAG at it, 2000 to 3000 calories daily. I'm not sedentary, at all, especially lately and do 2-5 hours of hard physical labor almost daily - then I go to work.

However I have the typical American crap diet, way too many carbs and not enough veggies. To make up the lack of phytonutrients (green things) in my diet I chug a 12 ounce V8 daily even though I REALLY don't like V8.

The reason I started was that I'd read a few peer-reviewed studies that'd shown health benefits in addition to moderate weight loss.

I tried eating in the mornings, but since I'm usually just not hungry in the morning late afternoon/early evening works out better for me. Of note, the only time I REALLY get hungry is 6-8 hours AFTER I've eaten but after an hour or so it throttles back to the mild hunger. I've considered just not eating for that day to see what happens.
"Everybody thinks they're the hero of their own story"

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:36 am

Wouldn't mild fasting also fit in rather well with the ideas of the Paleo diet?

I can not see our distant ancestors like the cave men always having a good supply of food. Some fasting would have happened.
Thus our bodies should be able to handle it quite well. If not even need it for some reason.

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:51 am

I want to post more in-depth on this but I have flirted with IF over the past few years quite a bit and it is good.

Basically though I see it not so much as a way of extending rations but as a lifestyle change. Part of starting IF can also help trigger better fat burning. Burning fat for fuel and energy is way better than carbs in the long run. If you can do this, and I have on occasion it is simply fantastic.

I recommend 1 x 24 hour fast a week and the odd missed breakfast. You will need to eat more fat and protein to help this and deal with an adjustment period.
Man is a beast of prey

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:50 am

Tagged for later comment
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

mystic_1
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Post by mystic_1 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:33 pm

Interestingly there was just a segment about Intermittant Fasting and it's effects on health on NPR (specifically the Diane Rehm show) this morning during my commute. The current show doesn't seem to be available online yet but they mentioned a previous show about Intermittent Fasting from January of 2014 that seems relevant:

LINK

mystic_1
Image Image Image

ZS Chapter Volunteer
● Want to start a ZS chapter? ● Want to find other ZS members near you? ● Want to make your chapter more successful?
Email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

See also: ● ZS Event CalendarZS Wiki

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:48 pm

I used to do a similar 1 day a week fast for spiritual reasons. It was good for me psychologically. Didn't hurt physically. What surprised me was how the day after was tougher than the day of. I have been debating doing it again, but my job now requires far more mental agility than before and the periods of mental sluggishness I used to have when fasting are a greater liability. The sluggishness isn't bad if I can keep moving, but the new job doesn't allow near as much moving either.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:39 am

in a SHTF world, we will be doing more physical work than most have ever done before, going without food for even a day or two is probably not very wise.
Survive, Adapt & Evolve .

Texasoperator

Post by Texasoperator » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:19 am

Its a good idea and will help as you say to ration your food when the time comes and also a good way to shed pounds. I've done it before and need to start again.

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:34 am

does nobody listen, fasting may be okay post SHTF if you are hunkering down, sitting on your backside and not moving about but if you are doing HARD PHYSICAL labour you will need all the calories you can get, taking energy out and not putting enough back in is a sure fire way to hasten the end.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:08 pm

There's some evidence to suggest that the human body is genetically adapted to IF; that it's actually our natural state. It sort of makes sense when you think about it. The idea of three squares a day, every day, is a relatively recent (in evolutionary terms) expectation. (To say nothing of the significant portion of humanity today that doesn't have this kind of steady, reliable caloric intake). Vagaries in hunting success, foraging, weather and other circumstances almost certainly meant that early humans evolved to function efficiently for extended intervals when little to no caloric intake was occurring.

The science behind it is interesting. Similar to Mystic_1's link to a 2014 Diane Rehm segment, this topic brings to mind another NPR report I heard recently:
http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/201 ... eight-loss

From a prepping point of view, beyond any benefit associated with extending stored food supplies, anyone who regularly IFs will be comfortable with the idea of continuing to function for a while with little to no food. In any kind of large scale disaster, it's the people who expect a meal every few hours who are most likely to lose their heads.

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:11 am

stores of food were never meant to last forever anyway, they are meant to supplement fresh food either when none is available, your waiting for your first harvest to come in or its just too dangerous to be outside. eventually food stocks(amongst other things) will run out, then you will have to survive on what you can catch, grow or rear yourself, that's when we separate the real survivalists from the "also rans" !! :ohdear:

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:17 am

grumpyviking wrote:does nobody listen, fasting may be okay post SHTF if you are hunkering down, sitting on your backside and not moving about but if you are doing HARD PHYSICAL labour you will need all the calories you can get, taking energy out and not putting enough back in is a sure fire way to hasten the end.
so what if "all the calories you can get" aren't enough to sustain a steady diet? keep eating normally and run out?
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:07 am

your going to run out sometime, better to eat properly for the work you are doing, energy in for energy expelled, you wont need to fast to lose weight you'll probably be doing that anyway.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”