Preparedness Success Stories

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Preparedness Success Stories

Post by duodecima » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:35 pm

I ran across this story whilst checking the weather (to be prepared for Girl Scout outdoor training tomorrow) and it struck me because it's not particularly dramatic - but it's the kind of thing that could happen to anyone, and ended up saving about 70 people, mostly kids, from maybe being hurt or killed (or at least scared out of their little minds).

I've poked around, and while we post them separately sometimes, I thought it might be useful to have a place to collect all these examples of why preparedness - especially the most basic forms that everybody should be doing as a matter of course - really work and really matter.

http://www.wunderground.com/news/tulsa- ... rch25-2015
Meteorologists warn you to prepare when severe weather is in the forecast. Jennifer Patterson, the executive director of a gymnastics academy in Sand Springs, likely saved lives this week because she did just that.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

Hollis
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Fido, 28 days later, Night of the Living Dead,

Re: Preparedness Success Stories

Post by Hollis » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:54 pm

Thanks for the post. For me, preparedness is like using seat belts. When you need it and they save your life it goes unnoticed.
Zombies don't ski.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:19 am

FAIRBANKS — A Birch Creek man who decided to walk from his village to Fort Yukon in 35-degree-below-zero weather was found by a search party just four miles shy of his goal.

Lawrence James, 52, walked roughly 46 miles in about 15 hours, according to Fort Yukon Police Officer Michael Ivie. James’ family had alerted Alaska State Troopers and village law enforcement after James left Birch Creek about 7 p.m. Monday.

He was all set and had no problem. It doesn't always take a 'disaster' to die. Just bad weather + poor planning...
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:45 pm

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=115892

Another success story
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:31 pm

While I've heard of several over the years in the media, specifics skip...but, I will share a few of mine...most of them seem good timing...

Ice Storm two years ago. I had just bought my generator, finally, a few months prior. Ice covered everything, and we lost power for 4 days (a lot for SC, considering it was an ice storm. Temps plummeted. A lot of folks in my neighborhood had to get hotels/go on base. I powered up the genny, brought in some clamp lights, a few space heaters. Kept the house a cozy 67 deg. Switched between the fridge and deep freezer to conserve on gas. The kiddos were even able to play PS3 :0)

Coming out of the tax office 5-6 years ago, when I was just getting into prepping, I had just recently assembled a small SK to keep on my EDC pack. A guys truck couldn't start. We tried a few of the normal things to no sucess. He said something about the key fob could be dead, and the ignition won't recognize. I just so happened to have a spare coin cell that his FOB needed in my SK, that I used for my PT Just In Case. Put the new coin cell in there, his truck fired right up!

Most recently, I was buying some spare fluids to keep in my truck. I knew my S-Belt had a few cracks, but still had some time left, but I bought a spare, as it's quite literally, the weakest link as far as the engine goes. fast forward 7-8 months, my S-belt busted in the parking lot. Threw the new one on, and I was back in business.

These are just some of the most recent, but I've had other small ones at work, etc., when I had the right tool for the job.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:22 pm

Great idea for a thread!

Barnabus

Post by Barnabus » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:55 pm

TacAir wrote:FAIRBANKS — A Birch Creek man who decided to walk from his village to Fort Yukon in 35-degree-below-zero weather ..
Why ? Why would he want to go for a walk that far in that weather? Some details are needed to that story.
"If you are prepared for a shambling horde of walking corpses that are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for just about anything."

angelofwar

Post by angelofwar » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:28 am

ZS:SC 045 Should be proud...maybe we need to invite this guy to a MBO!

Nice to see a cookie-cutter survival scenario play out with success!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/04/03/sa ... ths-later/

angelofwar

Post by angelofwar » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:37 pm

A few more details...looks like a lot of the more "advanced" techniques didn't work...just a simple ol' waving of the hands...

http://www.wistv.com/story/28710191/sai ... pe=generic

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”