Index of possible disasters (tiny and SHTF)

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Pvt. Pirate
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later <- realistic views;
zombieland <- funny
Location: (Germany) Holy Roman Empire, Duchy of Brunswick-Lüneburg, Bevenhusen near Loewenwohlde

Index of possible disasters (tiny and SHTF)

Post by Pvt. Pirate » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:48 am

Work In Progress i will edit this post and reorder the list.
also you might notice i'm not a native speaker, but eager to learn, so just state my faults and i'll correct them :wink:

Intro:
Hi, this is intended to become a list of possible events to prepare for.
This list will contain disasters from "running out of toiletpaper" to "end of the world as we know it".
It is a Work In Progress and i'm asking for your ideas on what to add, so i'll edit this post from time to time.

It is not a priority list, but everyone can sort it for themselves, as the odds of certain disasters vary from region to region and while SHTF-Events are worth prepping, many tiny disasters are more likely and could be evaded by proper prepping too.
(did you ever have to go to bed hungry, just because you forgot to buy food the other day and all stores were closed on the long easter weekend and the 24/7 was way too expensive for your budget? I did!)
If i sort disasters into categories of severity, this is because "having to drink your hot chocolate with water instead of milk" is less terrible than "having no paycheck for 3 months" which is less terrible than "World War III".
I'm single, so forgive me if i forget valid points that apply to families with children -> tell me and i'll add those points.
I want to link every disaster to one or more threads on how to prep for it, so this is NOT replacing the other threads.
Also, feel free to send links to those threads and i'll add them.

- disaster : (link to forum thread with) possible solution / preparation

All disasters (natural or manmade) can be summed up as an initial catastrophic incident with the loss of one or more of life's necesseties (which we like to take for granted) as result:

- Health (including mental health)
- Source of income (employment/welfare/pension)
- Food-source
- (clean) Water-source
- Home/Shelter
- Stable power supply grids (electricity, gasoline/fuel, gas)
- Logistics system
- (fast responding) Health-support-grid (hospitals etc.)
- (responsible) Law Enforcement

An now remember those who never had all of those things in their life.

While you can be prepared for some of those initial Incidents themselves (e.g. having a hurricane shelter), it is equally important to be prepared for the results.

Tiny disasters can be unpleasant, but also don't make your world crumble, as they can be easily fixed (e.g. ask your neighbor to borough theirs)

- Running out of <insert consumption good here> : have a nice neighbour or have some in stock
- Temporary electricity blackout ( <= 1 day) : flashlight with spare batteries, food and water source with no need for electricity

Small disasters mean the temporary loss of life's neccessities but with improvising and/or a nice neighbour who let's you use theirs until you can fix yours, you will survive

- Vehicle (necessary for work etc.) broken
- Water pipes need repairs
- Heating needs repairs
- Energy provider cuts your electricity, because you couldn't pay
- Loss of the source of income : financial cushion / unemployment-insurance (where available)

Medium disasters are a big deal, because it is absolutely gone, but society still exists and there are enough people that can help you. It's still wise to be prepared on where to find help and/or knowing how to fix the situation.

- Unability to work = loss of the source of income
- Bereavement/death of a friend or family member
- House fire
- Getting kicked out of your home (end of relationship; landlord hates you; chemical spill)
- Burglar's broke into your home : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=74360
- Getting mugged

Bigger disasters affect almost everyone around you and help from outside is needed

Natural disaster
- Hurricane/Tornadoe
- Blizzard
- Earthquake
- Flooding
- Tsunami
- Wildfire
- Solar flare strafing earth
- Water scarcity (aquifers dying up, drought, overuse/ poor irrigation management etc.) : viewtopic.php?f=29&t=115808
- Epidemic/Pandemic : viewtopic.php?f=22&t=111846
- Volcanic eruption (travel disruptions, damage, etc)
- Decline of honey bee population (beekeeping) : viewtopic.php?f=39&t=93950

Manmade disaster
- Sinkhole due to collapsing old mine
- Surface/subsurface water contamination (fuel spills/fracking etc/industrial farming contamination etc.)
- Reactor meltdown (reactor "stress test" like in Chernobyl or as result of a natural disaster, like in Fukushima)
- Riots/Looting
- Civil war / Revolutionary war
- War

End of the world as we know it

- Solar coronal mass ejection
- Zombie-Apocalypse
- Rise of the apes
- Nuclear War
- Huge Asteroid/Meteorite hitting earth
Last edited by Pvt. Pirate on Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:05 pm, edited 11 times in total.
You might have noticed my native language is german, but i'm eager to improve my english :wink:
"To find out who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." - Voltaire
"The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln

Mikeyboy

Re: Index of possible disasters (tiny and SHTF)

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:28 am

Here is one I threw at a hardcore prepper, when he got all over me when I said I keep some extra cash in my BOB.

You get kicked out of the house due to a house fire, local chemical spill, or something as simple as a bad argument with a spouse or your significant other. Guys and gals don't think that you may have to quickly leave your house because you are handed divorce papers, or you catch your spouse/significant other cheating. Like I mentioned before, you should have the bare basics to sleep in the wilderness, or some post disaster wasteland, but your BOB should above all else be your life raft if your run of the mill bad life event happens. Society will probably still exist but you find yourself outside your home, and for the time being you are sleeping at a hotel, in your car, or on a friend/family members couch.

Same with bugging in. Having the basics can help after a full blown epic disaster...or just a simple ice storm or just being unemployed. Having food, water, the ability to have light and heat when the power goes out, and finally a way to protect yourself, is all go no matter what happens.

Pvt. Pirate
zombieland <- funny
Location: (Germany) Holy Roman Empire, Duchy of Brunswick-Lüneburg, Bevenhusen near Loewenwohlde

Post by Pvt. Pirate » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:21 pm

Thanks, i added that/merged it into the list.
The list will grow and be rearranged/reordered and links will be added as i keep on reading in the forum.
maybe this topic isnt 1-dimensional (list) or 2-dimensional (table), but more than 3-dimensional (cubic) so it can be difficult to sort the disasters and countermeasures on a 2-dimensional board, but this is a try.
You might have noticed my native language is german, but i'm eager to improve my english :wink:
"To find out who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." - Voltaire
"The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:46 pm

Great list. Thank you!

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:16 pm

Good stuff!

Here are some more suggestions:

1. Surface/subsurface water contamination (fuel spills/fracking etc/industrial farming containation etc.)

2. Water scarcity (aquifers dying up, drought, overuse/ poor irrigation management etc.)
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=115808

3. Epidemic/Pandemic
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=111846

4. Volcanic eruption (travel disruptions, damage, etc)

5. Decline of honey bee population (beekeeping)
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=93950

Pvt. Pirate
zombieland <- funny

Post by Pvt. Pirate » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:31 am

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:51 pm

great topic, thanks for posting it
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Sun May 03, 2015 6:09 am

in no special order: food shortages(either through drought, flooding or for political reasons), power cuts, power down, avalanches/mud slides, strikes, protests, riots, EMP, social unrest, societal collapse, TEOTWAWKI.
Survive, Adapt & Evolve .

Pvt. Pirate
zombieland <- funny

Post by Pvt. Pirate » Sun May 03, 2015 3:47 pm

grumpyviking wrote:in no special order: food shortages(either through drought, flooding or for political reasons), power cuts, power down, avalanches/mud slides, strikes, protests, riots, EMP, social unrest, societal collapse, TEOTWAWKI.
thanks, i'll see how i can add those.

Mountainsquid
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(Snyder), Zombieland

Post by Mountainsquid » Mon May 04, 2015 3:16 am

This is an outstanding post. I don't have anything to add beyond that :)

Pvt. Pirate
zombieland <- funny

Post by Pvt. Pirate » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:02 am

If anyone has something to add or just a link to a thread for a prepping solution for that problem, I'd love if you post it here :)

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”