Supply of clean water and energy to a community, maybe this?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

The_bangfrog_MK23
Favorite Zombie Movies: All Romero originals and remakes,
28 Days / Weeks later
Starship Troopers (I know, not Zombies, but...)

Supply of clean water and energy to a community, maybe this?

Post by The_bangfrog_MK23 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:00 am

I think we can all agree that a steady and reliable source of clean water is very substantial for every community, whether urban/developed or rural/off-grid.
In view of multiple regions that are sliding into water shortages, and, from a "preppers-viewpoint", the prospect of water sources contaminated by chemical or nuclear fallout or even just human waste , it is not hard to see that the water supply to a community is going to be a major challenge.

Now, there might be a technical way to at least reduce the dependency on ground based sources like lakes or rivers or subterran aquefiers.

Today, while lazily surfing the interwebs at work, I stumbled over this:

The WMS1000 Wind Turbine, that condenses water out of the air.

The WMS1000 Wind Turbine

For nearly 15 years, Eole Water team has been working on the development of the WMS1000 wind turbine. This technology has been designed around three major principles:

To offer a sustainable access to safe drinking water

Unlike wells or boreholes, water is always present in the air. The constraint has been to design a reliable technology able to create and collect the water. Thanks to its technical expertise and its high quality components, the WMS1000 wind turbine allows people living in remote areas to benefit from access to safe water for a period of twenty years. The device is capable of producing up to 1,200 liters of water a day.

To operating in completely autonomy

The WMS1000 Wind Turbine has been designed to produce water without any external power source. Wind is the only energy used. With an installed capacity of 30kW and using air as a source of water, the WMS1000 Wind Turbine is perfectly adapted to supplying remote areas completely devoid of any existing infrastructure.

To preserve the environment

Eole Water wanted to offer an innovative technology in line with present-day sustainable development requirements. Wind power is the only source of energy needed to run the water production turbines. No CO2 is released, not groundwater or surface water is pumped. The environmental impact is practically nil.
Having kicked my senses into gear, I started to look a bit harder and start my google-fu. Several interesting articles came up:

popsci.com
CNN
ABC News tech blog
German report

And a nice little video:

I'm looking forward to hopefully see a downsized and (for me) affordable version of this. I always liked the idea of "Airwells / Condensers" and this is basically a Hi-tech-improved version of this concept. And about 1000 litres of water per day in the desert is indeed a lot.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance, but lately, some people seem to have forgotten to pay their dues.
"But to begin with, what's wrong with soldiers making sure they stay alive? If they die needlessly, who's going to protect people like you who do nothing but sit in comfort and complain?"

jor-el

Re: Supply of clean water and energy to a community, maybe t

Post by jor-el » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:17 am

A wind turbine generator running an enlarged air conditioner heat exchanger. I can see extracting the water, but atmospheric water would still be subject to contamination from NBC sources.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

mr_slappy75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by mr_slappy75 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:51 am

Whoa! wait...are we talking about Moisture Farms?!?! :shock:

But uncle Oweeeeeeen!!
colinz wrote:
ZS - Where having livestock, land and a good attitude is more desirable than being Size <6, 'ripped', or rich.

I <3 ZS!

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:07 pm

mr_slappy75 wrote:Whoa! wait...are we talking about Moisture Farms?!?! :shock:

But uncle Oweeeeeeen!!
You can waste time with your friends later.

The new system will provide power and water. If it works could be very handy.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

The_bangfrog_MK23
Favorite Zombie Movies: All Romero originals and remakes,
28 Days / Weeks later
Starship Troopers (I know, not Zombies, but...)

Post by The_bangfrog_MK23 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:07 pm

jor-el wrote:A wind turbine generator running an enlarged air conditioner heat exchanger. I can see extracting the water, but atmospheric water would still be subject to contamination from NBC sources.
True, but I think it would be clean again considerably faster than ground based sources. And re-processing the already condensed water will very probably be a lot easier and less maintenance-intensive for the filters than processing ground based water which might contain bigger dirt particles that clog up the filters.

But I do see that my hopes regarding contamination might be too high.
However, for non-NBC scenarios, that system seems to be a viable mid- to long term solution.
Stercutus wrote:
mr_slappy75 wrote:Whoa! wait...are we talking about Moisture Farms?!?! :shock:

But uncle Oweeeeeeen!!
You can waste time with your friends later.

The new system will provide power and water. If it works could be very handy.
My first thought was rather towards Arrakis, but now that you mention it, Tatooine is a good candidate to have them as well.

From what the sources disclose, the system is currently being tested in Abu Dhabi. If it works, it could help ease phases of drought in a way that preserves the groundwater.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance, but lately, some people seem to have forgotten to pay their dues.
"But to begin with, what's wrong with soldiers making sure they stay alive? If they die needlessly, who's going to protect people like you who do nothing but sit in comfort and complain?"

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:10 pm

I am sure it's water out put is highly dependent upon humidity (and wind). Low humidity low output. High humidity high output.

I would likewise note that high humidity areas typically(not always) are near water and frequently (but not always) have high rainfall. If you are near seawater, a reverse osmosis system may be more versatile and efficient from an energy usage standpoint. Likewise if you are in an area with high rainfall a rain catchment system may be more useful.

Finally I would be remiss in pointing out that if the wind does perform steadily within its design parameters(and/or this unit failed for any reason) and you relied on solely on this device, you would be without power and water.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”