Food preps, where to start???

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Thomas-Z-McDonald

Food preps, where to start???

Post by Thomas-Z-McDonald » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:42 am

Hi everyone.

I'm new to this forum and also new to survival preparing and planning.
As a rule I've always kept my home stocked with at least 4 weeks worth of family living food however I want to start stock piling food and water for harder times or when something happens and makes doing the monthly shop a little less possible and hazardous to my families welfare.

Water is top of my list and I've already started buying cases of it.
the question I have is what sort of foods should be top of my list??

I wont to keep spends to around £50 a month on top of my normal family shop.

HeldTheAncient

Re: Food preps, where to start???

Post by HeldTheAncient » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:30 pm

The best advise I can give is to buy what you eat. Meaning don't go out and stock up on ramen and spam if you don't like ramen or spam. If you eat a lot of green beans and rice then buy a little extra each time you go grocery shopping and then rotate the food storage into your pantry as you run low. Then, next time you buy groceries, replace what you used. This way, you can keep your food storage rotated so it doesn't expire.

Using this strategy will also be helpful psychologically if you ever have to dip into your food storage and will give you a sense of normalcy when eating these foods you're already familiar with.

Quartermaster
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Quartermaster » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:01 pm

Water is the First Tier to start because of the Rule of Three (3 minutes w/o air; 3 days w/o water; 3 weeks w/o food = Death). I keep a few cases of bottled water which can be used for hydration, wound irrigation, and freezing for cold packs but they are not to be used for flushing your crapper. Invest in a tub liner so you can fill your bath tub with water past the overflow valve so you have washing & toilet water. You can also store water in milk cartons & plastic bottles to freeze so you can keep your refrigerated/fresh food longer when the hydro cuts out or extra to drink. I personally have a number of square blue water containers that hold seven gallons each with a little oxygenation fluid to keep it fresh but I refill after six months. I use that water for pets, gardening, handwashing laundry, and ice. You might also want to design a water barrel or catch all for rainwater.

Second Tier is a well equipped first aid kit. Watch Patriot Nurse on YouTube to build a good kit for minimal cost. Do not forget to also have 90 days of any essential prescribed medications available for each person. Buy the big bottles of analgesics, emetics, anti-diarrheals, antacids, expectorants, and antihistimines on sale.

Third Tier is food that requires no refrigeration, no cooking, and and minimal additional water. Beans; dried, potted, or tinned meat; tinned brown bread; tinned pudding (fully cooked roly-poly, spotted dick, etc); tinned veggies; tinned & dried fruit; crackers (saltines, Ritz, pilot bread, rycrisp, cream crackers); biscuits (oatmeal, ginger snaps, digestive, maids of honor)--the last two should be kept in original packages but stored in large tins). Tea, coffee, herbal teas, powdered fruit drinks that can be cold brewed. Finally, boiled hard sweets.

You will need to consider 90 day supply for each member of your family (plus two more) and extra dried food for each pet BUT REMEMBER TO HAVE MULTIPLE OPENERS FOR THE TINS & CANS.

But Quartermaster, you are thinking, where will I put all these tins & packets? Grasshopper, the answer is simplicity itself. Arrange the cases of tinned food around a rectangular perimeter to put your box spring & mattress on and fill the hollow space with odd shaped items. With a bed skirt, no one will see the stuff stored under each household member's bed.

As an aside, don't forget tobacco, booze, cards, games, candles, torches, batteries, and books. These are trade items and help keep you from going mad.

Quartermaster

Thomas-Z-McDonald

Post by Thomas-Z-McDonald » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:30 pm

Quartermaster wrote:Water is the First Tier to start because of the Rule of Three (3 minutes w/o air; 3 days w/o water; 3 weeks w/o food = Death). I keep a few cases of bottled water which can be used for hydration, wound irrigation, and freezing for cold packs but they are not to be used for flushing your crapper. Invest in a tub liner so you can fill your bath tub with water past the overflow valve so you have washing & toilet water. You can also store water in milk cartons & plastic bottles to freeze so you can keep your refrigerated/fresh food longer when the hydro cuts out or extra to drink. I personally have a number of square blue water containers that hold seven gallons each with a little oxygenation fluid to keep it fresh but I refill after six months. I use that water for pets, gardening, handwashing laundry, and ice. You might also want to design a water barrel or catch all for rainwater.

Second Tier is a well equipped first aid kit. Watch Patriot Nurse on YouTube to build a good kit for minimal cost. Do not forget to also have 90 days of any essential prescribed medications available for each person. Buy the big bottles of analgesics, emetics, anti-diarrheals, antacids, expectorants, and antihistimines on sale.

Third Tier is food that requires no refrigeration, no cooking, and and minimal additional water. Beans; dried, potted, or tinned meat; tinned brown bread; tinned pudding (fully cooked roly-poly, spotted dick, etc); tinned veggies; tinned & dried fruit; crackers (saltines, Ritz, pilot bread, rycrisp, cream crackers); biscuits (oatmeal, ginger snaps, digestive, maids of honor)--the last two should be kept in original packages but stored in large tins). Tea, coffee, herbal teas, powdered fruit drinks that can be cold brewed. Finally, boiled hard sweets.

You will need to consider 90 day supply for each member of your family (plus two more) and extra dried food for each pet BUT REMEMBER TO HAVE MULTIPLE OPENERS FOR THE TINS & CANS.

But Quartermaster, you are thinking, where will I put all these tins & packets? Grasshopper, the answer is simplicity itself. Arrange the cases of tinned food around a rectangular perimeter to put your box spring & mattress on and fill the hollow space with odd shaped items. With a bed skirt, no one will see the stuff stored under each household member's bed.

As an aside, don't forget tobacco, booze, cards, games, candles, torches, batteries, and books. These are trade items and help keep you from going mad.

Quartermaster
Thank you quartermaster this is extremely helpful and the storage solution is a great idea.

Thomas-Z-McDonald

Post by Thomas-Z-McDonald » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:35 pm

HeldTheAncient wrote:The best advise I can give is to buy what you eat. Meaning don't go out and stock up on ramen and spam if you don't like ramen or spam. If you eat a lot of green beans and rice then buy a little extra each time you go grocery shopping and then rotate the food storage into your pantry as you run low. Then, next time you buy groceries, replace what you used. This way, you can keep your food storage rotated so it doesn't expire.

Using this strategy will also be helpful psychologically if you ever have to dip into your food storage and will give you a sense of normalcy when eating these foods you're already familiar with.
This is what I'm aiming to do, buy what we like and already eat. the rotating of produce was something I didn't even think about but know you've mentioned it its kinda common sense lol.
Thanks buddy.

Murph

Post by Murph » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:45 pm

I found this a while back, but it is still relevant:
A 12 Month Plan to Emergency Preparedness
http://www.realselfreliance.com/2009/09 ... paredness/

And here's a couple threads that you might find helpful:
4 week rotating prep plan
viewtopic.php?t=108933

What does a month of food really look like?
viewtopic.php?t=104306

12 Month Prep Schedule / Info For Beginners
viewtopic.php?t=39627
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:26 pm

Murph has some good links.

This sticky at the top of the forum has some great links also.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=79725

Quartermaster
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Quartermaster » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:16 pm

Brother McDonald (as in the Kingdom of the Isles' McDonalds?),

You are very welcome.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”