2015 goals

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, day of the dead, resident evil (all of them)

2015 goals

Post by corrsk » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:39 pm

with the new year coming, I hope everyone is already planning their 2015 goals.

Me personally I dont have many goals because I dont want to overburden and want the goals I have to be attainable.

1. Increase food preps (canned and freeze dried)

2. Increase ammuition stockpile

3. Purchase a bolt action rifle

Anything more than that is icing on the cake so to speak.

Murph

Re: 2015 goals

Post by Murph » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:39 pm

corrsk wrote:I hope everyone is already planning their 2015 goals. Me personally I dont have many goals because I dont want to overburden and want the goals I have to be attainable.
The best way to plan goals I've found is as follows:
1. Assess where you currently stand
2. Check how much progress you've made historical (when possible)
3. Determine where you'd like to be (Quantifiable is better than Subjective)
4. Formulate a timeline with milestones (if needed)
5. Set a deadline

As an example, I've been meaning to increase my water preps...
1. I currently 14 gallons of water
2. I have randomly bought and rotated 1.5L bottles over the past year. I also have a few 1 gallon jugs that are really old and need to be used or dumped.
3. I want to have 20 gallons of water that is less than 2 years old. I need to label everything with date purchased
4. I will buy 2 gallons of water a month, and also purchase suitable totes to store the bottles in case of leaks or needing to transport.
5. I want my supplies increased and organize by the end of April 2015.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, day of the dead, resident evil (all of them)

Post by corrsk » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:49 pm

For water I recommend dasani and aquafina when it's on sale. If your only using large containers and there is an issue you lose a lot of water per damaged or contaminated container. A case of bottles is 3.75 gallons of water if you buy 20oz bottles or 3 gallons if the bottles you buy are 16oz.

Sale prices of cases come out to about $1 per gallon. Personally I pick up 2 cases twice per week. We always have 6-8 cases of water on hand. It's also easy to rotate with regular use. The cases are also easily stackable in the basement.

I should add that I want to increase the number of Nalgene bottles I have on hand to 12 from the 6 I have. Just waiting for the sales.

Murph

Post by Murph » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:15 pm

Good thoughts!
I've settled on 1.5L bottles. They're easier to drink from than a gallon jug. They're easy to ratio, one before noon, one after. Two of them will top off an average camelbak bladder. However, they're typically not sold in bulk packs, and therefore next to impossible to stack without some other organizer.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead" on AMC

Post by Tobias05 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:11 pm

Graduate college without taking out a school loan. Ten classes left. Prolly be Spring 2016 more likely.

Continue pay down debt.

Sell one of my cars, start parting out other one to put towards a truck.

New barn roof.

Fix fences.

quazi

Post by quazi » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:48 pm

I did pretty well on my 2014 goals. One of them was to find a new job that would let me move back to my hometown. I found one that will give me room and board and (in theory) plenty of free time for another part time job and to pursue my interests in self-sufficient living.

My biggest goal is not to quit or get fired from my current job until next fall. At that point I'll be vested in the retirement system which will mean my employer will more than match what I've been contributing. In theory it would be best to wait until spring of 2016, but I don't think I can hold out for that long.

I'm still not sure how things are going to shake out with all the vacation time I have saved up, so I can't set too firm of goals.

Here are a few things that I think I should be able to accomplish:
Double my current savings by September (I might be able to triple my savings if I'm really careful).
Build a few low tunnels for growing vegetables.
Start even more perennials from seed and get them planted.
Start reloading (I've got most of the stuff, I just need to make the time).
Improve some of my craft skills (leathercraft, sewing, and I want to take up woodworking).
Continue to lose weight.
Get first aid training.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:44 am

-financial savings need to go up at a higher rate

-more low intensity-cardio and yoga, less powerlifting (my poor joints...)

-organize and downsize all my gear
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Dragon80
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead

Post by Dragon80 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:20 am

1. Food

2. Train, A LOT!

3. Practice what I train.
BOB also used for backpacking
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114606

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:50 am

OK, I'm in on this for the first time, since there's some goals I've been making annually for a long time, I really need to get some of them done this year!

1)Wash and fill 50 gal barrels with water. (I have the barrels, I have no excuses!)
2)Get another 50 gal barrel and make a rainbarrel.
2a)make 4 more, one for each gutter
3)Make a first-flush diverter barrel to go with the rainbarrel.
3a)make 3 more
4)Get my papers organized - everybody's ss cards, passports, birth certificates, report cards, all my professional documentation, wills, titles, etc. - in an easy grab&go form.
5)Make a cardboard solar box oven.
6)Get inverter so the the car battery can run the blower on my furnace - that will get me thru all the high to mid probability emergencies involving heat&power.
7)Refill the extra gas cans! (No excuse...)
8)Loose 10 more pounds
9)Do a pull up
10)Finish putting long-term stores into mylar and buckets
10a)Inventory long-term stores so I know exactly what I have as opposed to very closely approximated...

If I can do all that, I won't be done, but I will have gotten past some things I've just been stuck on for a while...
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:52 am

2015 goals:

get this lame HOA house sold and get some land closer to the wife's job (I can work anywhere. benefit of being in Film.)

drop another 3-5% body fat (made my goal of getting from 24% down to about 21% this year. Want to be between 15-17% overall, I think I'll be happy there.)

get a couple more firearms we've been wanting

get more long term food stored

get rid of the debt from our wedding.
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

Ambrose
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Ambrose » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:41 pm

-lose 30lbs
-excercise more and get in better shape ( related to but not the same as weight loss)
-get 2 weeks of water (my water preps at my new house are unforgivably poor), I only need 2 weeks, because if I need more than that I'm bugging out to somewhere that has pumps and gennys to run them.
-get my car set up for mobile radio use.
-get my HF antenna up and running.
-get a ccw
-repair my alarm system
-network with other preparedness minded folks ( aka maybe show up for a zas-001 meeting even if it is "over the bridge" )
-get at least bare minimum solar capability (enough to keep a smartphone/tablet charged, and maybe to charge batteries)
-start reloading & bulelt casting, both to develop the skill, and to save on ammo costs.
Amateur Extra Class Ham Radio Operator Check out The Zombie Squad Radio Club to learn more.

Ioannes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Ioannes » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:45 pm

2105 goals are:

1) establish and maintain a workout schedule for my wife and I,
2) help wife with changing our diets (we're going for near-zero processed food, lowering sugar intake, etc)
3) planting sixty feet of grapes,
4) planting twelve fruit trees (plum, peach, nectarine, lemon/lime, apples, oranges, pear, apricot)
5) adding another 100 sq.ft. to the garden (brings us to just under 300 sq. ft. of raised beds)
6) plumb irrigation to garden,
7) finish the basement (wiring/insulation/sheet rock/shelving),
8) start pricing out solar for the house and pool (PV and heat),
9) sell two motorcycles so I can purchase my BOV
10) install a new chest freezer in basement so that we can
10) somehow add another six months to our pantry.

We have our work cut out for us! :shock:
Quo mihi Fortunam si non conceditur uti?

eugene

Post by eugene » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:59 pm

2015 looks like we will finally get around to building our cabin. Parents sold logs from the farm and decided to use some of the $ to fund our build.
I may sell the camper once we get it done, its in pretty rough shape and needs some work. First fear is no one will buy it and I'll have to just scrap it, second fear is someone driving a Toyota like the previous owner will want to buy it, can I sell it to someone with a truck not safe for the load?
Next is debit, thanks to the health care reform I'm spending 10k more a year on health care than I had before and didn't have anywhere in the budget to pull from so it ended up being on credit, something has to change here.
Get work under control, just because I'm salary doesn't mean I can work 12 hours a day.
Almost made it deer hunting again, its been years, will set that as a 2015 goal along with catching a fish actually big enough to cook.
yeah, its been a rough year.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

Joshua_Steele
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead FTW!

Post by Joshua_Steele » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:14 pm

MY 2015 goals fall into several categories:
1) Physical:
- Wife has a happy healthy baby girl
- Get back into working out
- Run a Spartan (considering before I hurt my back I had only made it to two 5Ks)
- Get down to one-der land (199 or less, approx. 35 lbs total)

2) Financial:
- Stop renting, start buying
- Pay off my bank loan (owe like $4k on this particular loan)
- Build a safety net ($2k)

3) Defense
- Purchase a deer hunting capable rifle
- Purchase a handgun or two (my brother and dad are obsessed with .40 caliber - I am more partial to .45 cal)
- Make/purchase a longbow (I really want to make a laminate longbow)

4) Knowledge
- Get CPR/First Aid Certified
- Start practicing Mock Bug Outs to increase skills

HeldTheAncient

Post by HeldTheAncient » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:42 am

~Complete my first AR-15 build
~Build a composting toilet
~Finish building second chicken coop
~Start a vermiculture compost bin
~Increase the intensity of my rabbit breeding program
~Revamp gardening strategy in the spring
~Start beekeeping with two hives this spring

Oh yeah! I also have to pay for a wedding in November without taking out a loan. The other goals are just to insure my sanity in the coming months :roll:

LyraJean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (Sidney Poitier)
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Post by LyraJean » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:21 pm

Finances - Get out of debt and having an emergency fund.
Food/Water- I buy groceries every two weeks. I plan on increasing my storage to last a whole month.
Family - Potty train my son which will happen this month or next month.
Defense - CCW Permit but I won't sweat anything if this doesn't happen.
My blog: Beyond Tourism: Florida's Yesteryear A blog about Florida History

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:45 am

Well, I've got quite a few things on the agenda this year.

For the big stuff, new apartment and a new car. Thanks to the new gig, I've got to move from the county into the city limits. Not an issue, I've already got the right place in mind. However, while my wife and I have been able to function adequately on one vehicle for the last three years, we need a second (thanks to the move.) Yay, car shopping!

I'm going to continue the fitness journey in 2015. I'd like to shed a minute off of my mile by the end of the year, while increasing my deadlift 1RM to 500 (or higher.) I'm not a runner, and I'm not that far from 500 now, so the former should be the more challenging goal.

The rest is all stuff that's going to happen anyway, so they're not really resolutions for the new year. For instance, I'm lined up to take the bicycle police course; not really a resolution but I'm looking forward to it. I'd really like to be active in martial arts again, but juggling family life, personal agenda and my career is already enough of a drain on my time.
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

roOism
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by roOism » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:56 am

Reduce debt.
"Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must." - Goethe

procyon

Post by procyon » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:41 am

Same goal as always.
Make it to New Years Day, of next year.

Figure if I can't make that one, the rest don't matter.
And if I do make that one, the rest must have worked out one way or another.
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

Murph

Post by Murph » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:05 am

Murph wrote: I want to have 20 gallons of water that is less than 2 years old. I need to label everything with date purchased
I want my supplies increased and organize by the end of April 2015.
I hit the store the other weekend and got a great deal on 1L bottles of water. They come in cases of 15 bottles, so I bought four of them, for a total of 60L (15.85 gal) Since they are in a cardboard tray and plastic wrapped, there is a little room where I can write the date on the tray. Next month I'll buy another four cases which will be a sizable amount of water in case anything ever happens. At this rate, I will meet and exceed my goal.
:D

lovesmuggler

2015 goals

Post by lovesmuggler » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:12 am

I bought a shipping container this fall to build a small cabin next to my BOL, so I have something comfortable to live in while I renovate the main structure (a huge brick train station/fortress). In addition, I've contracted with a neighbor to move property lines to add five acres, where I plan to plant a fruit orchard. I also want to build some animal pens and upgrade from simply raising chickens, ducks, and rabbits; this year I would love to start with goats (my land has something growing on it that I can't cut fast enough and engulfs everything, I need 24 hour a day lawn lawn mowers). Beside that I have two small businesses I'm developing to make myself truly financially free, and by the end of 2015 I hope to be taking in enough per month to live comfortably and finance some of these large projects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm trying to build the ultimate bug-in location! Please check it out and give some feedback!
http://www.primrosestation.com

ais4122
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by ais4122 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:42 pm

Hit the range at least twice a month for serious training- not just busting caps and making noise.
Gym 3X a week
Increase food preps to a 3 month supply
Get my HT ham radios to a range of 5 miles using a field antenna.
Aim small, Miss small

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=30558" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

shrimpwd

Post by shrimpwd » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:57 am

1. Continue to lose weight (dropped from 221 to 197 between June and December 2014, want to hit 170 by September 2015)
2. Be able to run a mile without slowing to a walk. (I can walk 6 miles in under 2 hours, but I can only jog .2 miles)
3. Find a job.
4. Get my own vehicle. (currently using a family vehicle)
5. 3-month emergency fund (stretched as expenses grow)
6. Move into my own place (I know where and approximately how much, but not when. Maybe 2015?)
7. Have a rotating 60000 calorie pantry in place, with 20 gallons water stored. (30 days at 2k, for one person)(light on water, but a great start)
8. Publish another book. :shock:
9. Get out and use my BOB overnight at least three times in the year, and at least one dayhike a month. (practice skills and keep the kit cycled properly)

I believe I can make five of these happen within the year. Getting seven or more would make me extremely happy.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:17 pm

A little late to the game, but I've been giving this one a fair bit of thought since December.

Firearms:
I'm going to be adding a .308 bolt action rifle this year. Intentions are for hunting purposes, fading out my .303. I will consider adding a 7.62x39 version of the VZ58, but that is lower priority. I am at or near stocking capacity for a lot of my centre fire calibers, so I will be scaling back on those, probably keeping an eye out for some of the higher end European .22 that pops up by the case, just to restock on rimfire.

Food/Water:
I'm mostly at capacity for food and water for my current living situation, and I don't foresee my current situation changing in the next year. I will be investing in a few more long term shelf stable options, like #10 cans of mountain house food.

Budget/Finances:
I've been working my ass off for the past 8 months, and am proud to be CC debt free (well, I still have a balance on a 0%CC, but I also have the money ready to pay it off as soon as the promotional rate expires). I will be starting some investments that I should have started years ago, and try to pay down my car loan sooner. My great uncle passed away last summer, and there is supposed to be financial inheritance coming to me and my cousins, but it's a long time coming. If that money comes in, and depending on how much it is, I will be using it to pay off as much of my car loan as possible.

BOB/Other Kits:
I have a few kits that have been finished for quite some time, but a lot of these kits get things borrowed from them at various times. I want to buy duplicates of all these little things that I borrow on a regular basis so that my kits are in a constant state of readiness.

BOL:
My current BOL being my parents house;
I keep a bit of ammo stored there, again reaching capacity. I have a bit of a training range set up there, but with the hours I've been working, I haven't had time to improve it or use it.
My parents are old school preppers, the kind who keep a generator or stocked cupboards because it's what you do when you live in rural Ontario, not because they feel the need to be prepared for the zombie apocalypse. The house always has a few weeks worth of food and water, but I'd like to improve on the wild edibles on the property. I currently know of a few grape vines, raspberry bushes, and cat tails, but definitely not enough to support the family. I have a few apple trees started, hoping they survive a spring planting.

Big Projects/Long Term Goals:
If finances prove available, I want to start looking for a piece of recreational property several hours north of Toronto. I may not purchase this year, but I am intending to drop a shipping container home on the property, once it is established. I will put the container on my parents property (much closer than I plan on leaving it) and finish the inside there, then ship it the rest of the way north at a later time.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”