It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:29 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Skuldugary wrote:
The UK announced it has credible evidence that it expects a terrorist attack within a month.
Sadly, we aren't receiving any direction on what we as individuals or as a country can do. We could see an attack on our soil at any time.

It could be anything from a bomb in an office building to poisoning a water supply. Who knows? It seems impossible to prepare.
What can we do?

I think that the answer depends entirely on the nature of the terrorist threat.
If it's a sustained campaign with a daily Critical threat level then you've no option but to get on with your life and hope for the best. You still have to go to school or to work if you're an adult. Go shopping, go to the cinema etc with friends. You get used to the threat (if indeed you've ever known anything different) and the minutiae of life continues.
All you can do is be aware of anything or anyone that looks odd or out of place. I remember being in a shop in Belfast when I was approx 9 or 10, it would have been around 1983-84. I can't remember now what it was that caught my attention but I said to my mum that something was odd, sure enough we were told within minutes to evacuate due to a coded bomb warning having been phoned in.
If it's a seemingly out of the blue event like 9/11 or the 7th July bombing in London then you won't have much of an inkling before hand that a terror attack will happen. Like a few other forum users have said here, getting the hell out of the area if at all able once an attack occurs is one option.
Chemical attacks are perhaps more easily prepped against,through prepping for natural disasters/civil unrest.
To be honest I find it difficult to think of anything beyond that which we can do, because terrorism is by it's very nature random and unpredictable
But you can't not get on with your life because of what ifs :|

airballrad wrote:
All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D

wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:32 pm 

I spent part of my childhood in England, in the 1970s, when the IRA was conducting a car- and letter-bomb campaign. My siblings and I took the train and Tube 80 miles round-trip daily to go to school. There were even some bomb threats called in to our school. You know what we did in response to the bombings? Carried on with our normal lives. We learned to keep an eye out for unattended parcels on public transportation, and we learned to notice where all the exits and fire-alarm pulls were in public buildings we entered, and we knew not to touch any extra-thick letters that might have arrived in the mail (none did at our house). We made sure we always had a bunch of 2p coins for the phone in case something went awry and we needed to let our parents know we were going to be coming home on a later train. Mom and Dad, having both grown up in the US during the Depression, always had at least a couple weeks' worth of food on hand anyway, without making any special effort to be prepared for disasters. That was pretty much it.

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:34 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Towanda wrote:
I spent part of my childhood in England, in the 1970s, when the IRA was conducting a car- and letter-bomb campaign. My siblings and I took the train and Tube 80 miles round-trip daily to go to school. There were even some bomb threats called in to our school. You know what we did in response to the bombings? Carried on with our normal lives. We learned to keep an eye out for unattended parcels on public transportation, and we learned to notice where all the exits and fire-alarm pulls were in public buildings we entered, and we knew not to touch any extra-thick letters that might have arrived in the mail (none did at our house). We made sure we always had a bunch of 2p coins for the phone in case something went awry and we needed to let our parents know we were going to be coming home on a later train. Mom and Dad, having both grown up in the US during the Depression, always had at least a couple weeks' worth of food on hand anyway, without making any special effort to be prepared for disasters. That was pretty much it.

This^ QFT.

airballrad wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:41 pm 

Now I'm nostalgic for British pay phones. :lol:

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:45 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Towanda wrote:

:mrgreen:
2ps will not get you much of a call these days :rofl:

airballrad wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:53 pm 

wee drop o' bush wrote:
Towanda wrote:

:mrgreen:
2ps will not get you much of a call these days :rofl:

Actually, I was thinking more of when the line starts beeping and you have to slam your hand down on the coin you've (hopefully) already slotted to be able to continue the call. :awesome:

SMoAF wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:09 am 

Lol - hey, I remember those days too! I don't think they even accept 2p coins now.

Oh yeah, on the subject of phones, just in case it's not already been said, there was practically no way to get a phone call out after the Manchester bomb for a while. I don't think the public lines were cut off (like cell towers would be now) but rather that everyone and his dog was suddenly trying to phone home and overwhelming the system. It's one of the things that made me get my wife and I some small but good hand-held transceivers.

I must admit, my first thought when I heard the announcement that our threat level had been raised, was "what is the government trying distract us from this time?", lol! I have that much faith in our... better leave that though before it verges on politics.

Since it seems more global, I'll let them off this time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:08 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Have somewhere to go to get away from mass population. Always wear comfortable shoes.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and live today like there's no tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:35 pm 

AfleetAlex wrote:
Have somewhere to go to get away from mass population. Always wear comfortable shoes.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and live today like there's no tomorrow.

+1 on the comfortable shoes.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:05 pm 

Skuldugary wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Skuldugary wrote:
Unlike other terrorists this new group behave more like soldiers. This is just my assessment, but they don't seem like the suicide bomber types to me.

Based on what?

Based on the complete absence of suicide bombings. They've attacked as soldiers, not martyrs.
I'm speaking from an observation and sharing an opinion. I'm not asking anyone to take it as a fact.

You must be watching a different war than me. The episodes I have seen have ISIS suicide attacks. Here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/v ... blast.html

Now there may have been less attacks. Mostly due to a training mishap:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/11/world ... .html?_r=1

Please go back and read Doc's thread and not posting bullshit.

Quote:
Do a threat assessment and figure out what, across the nation, would make a good target, because if you'll notice nobody ever attacks Bumfuck, Alabama's public library when they can hit Birmingham, or Atlanta, or a larger target. Otherwise, smile, smoke a cigarette and treat terrorist attacks like any other disaster. There's not a whole lot you can do as a citizen to stop one until it's already happening. Treat it like a lightning strike or a gas line explosion, be ready to react but don't live in paralyzing fear of it.

Well yeah, that is why I moved to BFE. But don't ever get in to the mindset that "it can't happen here".

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/05/18/us/2- ... diana.html

http://www.timesofisrael.com/small-town ... -fbi-says/

The Black Liberation Army ran a terror school in Fayetteville GA, Groups like the Weathermen bombed wherever the stuff they opposed happened to be. I could post dozens of examples.

It happens in small towns too.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

Last edited by Stercutus on Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:01 pm 

How do you prepare?

In the USA:

Unless you live or plan to visit a Tier I target, don't worry about it.

If you live in a Tier I target (city of a population of 1 million or more), you have a 0.85% chance of being in an affected region.

Unless you work in a likely target, don't sweat it.

My Second Zombie novel. Payload, YGAT Book 1

My Third Zombie novel. Rolling Hunger, YGAT book 2

My Western zombie novel. Sunstone

My alien invasion novel.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:04 pm 

TheZone wrote:
How do you prepare?

In the USA:

If you live in a Tier I target (city of a population of 1 million or more), you have a 0.85% chance of being in an affected region.

Since the Cold War, the "Bread Basket" of the USA has long thought to be prime target. Most of California and the Midwest fall into that category. That's not "suicide bomber" level, but any nuclear/biological weapons could be aimed at such. I wouldn't /eliminate/ it as a target, but it would be another level of concerns that take a different reaction than that of a 9/11 type attack.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:20 pm 

TheZone wrote:
How do you prepare?

In the USA:

Hmmm... don't know about that either. Maybe you won't die if that is what you mean by "affected". Not many people died during 9/11. Just about everyone was effected by it and still is. The worst effects being the insidious ones we don't talk about. The Madrid Train Bombings killed relatively few people and resulted in a change of government.

Just about any government building is a "tier 1" target.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:30 pm 

WutsFrequencyKeneth wrote:
TheZone wrote:
How do you prepare?

In the USA:

Since the Cold War, the "Bread Basket" of the USA has long thought to be prime target. Most of California and the Midwest fall into that category. That's not "suicide bomber" level, but any nuclear/biological weapons could be aimed at such. I wouldn't /eliminate/ it as a target, but it would be another level of concerns that take a different reaction than that of a 9/11 type attack.

It took over a year and heavy expenses to pull off 9/11, and back then they had friendly government assistance. The odds of a terror group being able to deploy a biological agent in the tonnage required to affect even a single state is nil. The infrastructure simply isn't there. If they hit this year, they'll hit another limited target with conventional means.

My alien invasion novel.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:34 pm 

TheZone wrote:
TheZone wrote:
How do you prepare?

In the USA:

It took over a year and heavy expenses to pull off 9/11, and back then they had friendly government assistance. The odds of a terror group being able to deploy a biological agent in the tonnage required to affect even a single state is nil. The infrastructure simply isn't there. If they hit this year, they'll hit another limited target with conventional means.

Destroying this dam in the US could cause a famine:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:15 pm 

TheZone wrote:
TheZone wrote:
How do you prepare?

In the USA:

It took over a year and heavy expenses to pull off 9/11, and back then they had friendly government assistance. The odds of a terror group being able to deploy a biological agent in the tonnage required to affect even a single state is nil. The infrastructure simply isn't there.

That you know of :awesome:

Seriously, we're hypothesizing about how to prepare for such incidents, not focusing on what we think /can/ happen in the next month... not that anyone in here is likely a SME on the topic of such liklihoods anyways.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:47 pm 

Stercutus wrote:
TheZone wrote:
TheZone wrote:
How do you prepare?

In the USA:

Destroying this dam in the US could cause a famine:

It could create a temporary dislocation in food prices, but the USA has more land lying fallow (unused) than most nations farm. By simply ceasing to feed grain to animals, we could sustain the population until adjustments were made to acreage under cultivation. Economic hardship? Yes. Famine? No.

In WW2 they used Tallboy bombs, six tons each, in an attempt to knock out German dams (smaller than that structure). They crippled the gates on one, and the other survived multiple hits.

Simply put, without an ADM, the infrastructure and logistics required to destroy that structure is not within a terrorist groups reach, and the results would be less than devastating even if they did.

Seriously, we're hypothesizing about how to prepare for such incidents, not focusing on what we think /can/ happen in the next month... not that anyone in here is likely a SME on the topic of such liklihoods anyways.

I serve on emergency preparedness councils as my agency's rep. We spend a lot of time & money war gaming what could be done by terrorists & nature, and devising what counter-measures are available.

This thread is about how to prepare for a terrorist attack, something I know a good deal about. The cells in question have specific goals, specific constraints, and specific concerns. You cross-reference these, and you will see a specific pattern of options for them.

So long as we are dealing with terror groups who have an endgame which requires a future for their chosen people, there is no danger of a terror strike deliberately bringing down the USA, all rhetoric aside.

The thing to be concerned about is the appearance of a nihilistic group who has no endgame. When that day comes, if it comes, then the world will change forever.

My alien invasion novel.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:57 pm 

Quote:
Simply put, without an ADM, the infrastructure and logistics required to destroy that structure is not within a terrorist groups reach, and the results would be less than devastating even if they did.

I could destroy that dam without an ounce of explosives.

Quote:
It could create a temporary dislocation in food prices, but the USA has more land lying fallow (unused) than most nations farm. By simply ceasing to feed grain to animals, we could sustain the population until adjustments were made to acreage under cultivation. Economic hardship? Yes. Famine? No.

:? wut?

Quote:
I serve on emergency preparedness councils as my agency's rep. We spend a lot of time & money war gaming what could be done by terrorists & nature, and devising what counter-measures are available.

This thread is about how to prepare for a terrorist attack, something I know a good deal about. The cells in question have specific goals, specific constraints, and specific concerns. You cross-reference these, and you will see a specific pattern of options for them.

So long as we are dealing with terror groups who have an endgame which requires a future for their chosen people, there is no danger of a terror strike deliberately bringing down the USA, all rhetoric aside.

The thing to be concerned about is the appearance of a nihilistic group who has no endgame. When that day comes, if it comes, then the world will change forever.

Well, I don't serve on any special committees but I have ideas on this as well. I never make assumptions about people who blow themselves up and fly air planes into buildings about their plans for the future. Because hey, maybe they actually ARE a little nihilistic. After all if EVERYTHING is deeply meaningful doesn't that mean that "nothing" is meaningful? It is really the same all consuming thing.

I am thinking that the leaders of the terror groups might not care much about your cross reference chart and will do whatever is expedient to achieve their goals. I could be wrong about all this but it seems to me that they all have the same exact goal which is amassing power for themselves. They also tend to fuk up a lot and fight each other over various turf wars and then later cooperate if it serves some other goal. The leaders are also all deeply human and suffer all the same frailties and vices that everyone else has. But I am just sum dood.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:00 pm 

@TheZone - ZombieSquad repeatedly amazes me in the type of people it attracts. I'd be happy to hear more about any information and reasoning you could supply on this topic and what you think the "most likely" attacks, and probably more importantly, what form of attack.

I'm not going to continue discussion about non-urban-center attacks. I think if I were to consider the topic, it would be a separate thread/threat, and a bit off topic for this one. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:23 pm 

@TheZone - ZombieSquad repeatedly amazes me in the type of people it attracts. I'd be happy to hear more about any information and reasoning you could supply on this topic and what you think the "most likely" attacks, and probably more importantly, what form of attack.

I'm not going to continue discussion about non-urban-center attacks. I think if I were to consider the topic, it would be a separate thread/threat, and a bit off topic for this one. Thanks.

Like any military operation, it boils down to logistics. The resources you can bring to bear upon the target area.

Most likely? They like anniversaries and emotional targets which will feature repeatedly in the media (every coverage of the Boston Marathon for the next decade will comment on the recent attack). They will strike at something which is high-profile and has a high density of population. They like explosives or automatic weapons for the dynamic video footage. Everything they do is geared towards the camera-they want dramatic footage viewed by millions.

Where & how boils down to their resources. The network that launched 9/11 is dead or fled, and what has occurred since has been independent cells operating with limited resources.

On the other hand, there are persistent rumors that a major effort has been made in the last year to get more assets into the country and linked up with converts in-country.

Myself, I've got money riding on the Superbowl.

The key to it all will be that the next strike will be planned for video. They want people to watch it for a long time. That's how they measure victory: if you remember, if you watch, if it is spoken of, it is victory.

My alien invasion novel.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:02 am 

My worries are the two big biker festivals in Daytona. Biketoberfest and Bike Week. We have several locations through out the town where we pack tens of thousands of people into tight clusters of inebriated humanity so dense that the cops could not fight their way through the crowd to get to an emergency in force for a Mumbai style attack.

Add to that all the celebs, media, and cameras and it is jihad johnny's second favorite wet dream after the one with the goat.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:02 am 

Quote:
Where & how boils down to their resources. The network that launched 9/11 is dead or fled, and what has occurred since has been independent cells operating with limited resources.

I am uncertain about what the source of your information or how that works? The 9/11 attacks were conducted by an independent cell with limited resources. Half a million dollars and less than 50 people.

After 9/11 Al Queda then went on to fight two wars in different countries over a decade. While they were doing that they launched major attacks that have killed thousands of people:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_o ... da_attacks

Note that the article does not include attacks from AQ inspired organization like the Madrid train bombers or the Boston Bombers. It certainly is by no means a complete list either. The last major attack took place at the Algerian gas plant in 2013 that was essentially a failure resulting in the deaths of 40 victims and hundreds of millions in damages. Had they succeeded and the gas plant gone up the toll would have been in the thousands and cost much more. For a dead organization they seem pretty active.

Quote:
Myself, I've got money riding on the Superbowl.

Could be. If I were into that sort of thing I would go with a time and a place for which we are least prepared instead of one for which we are most prepared. Limited resources, outside the box thinking.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:48 am 

Good shoes, a FAK, and where allowed, a firearm for protection.

Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:08 pm 

My cousin was and is a contractor in places that I wish he wasn't. Sigh. He and his supervisor were targeted for "disposal" a few years back and as a result the enemy blew up a grocery store they both frequented that was owned and run by locals. My cousin helped carry out his friends and then he helped rebuild their store. He got transferred, as did the entire contract team, and two months later the store was struck again just because the enemy had declared them free game regardless of whether they were then selling to foreigners or not.

That incident as well as the WTC incidents should point out one big issue that people often forget ... lightning can and does strike twice in one spot. Once a vulnerability has been identified it will be capitalized on more than once so if someplace has already had something happen, I would raise my alert level, not lower it, regardless of the "security measures" that get added. All those so-called security measures are is an admission that the enemy found a weakness and has them worried that they'll do it again.

Situational awareness is the primary weapon against any enemy, terrorists are no exception.