Gold: Sacred Cow or Useful?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Gold: Sacred Cow or Useful?

Post by raptor » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:36 pm

Halfapint wrote: Our credit union gives us 6.0% interest, that would return a lot more money then buying silver with it.
Wow that is a decent return in today's world.

moab

Post by moab » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:49 pm

I think of PM as "prescription medication".

1) How much can you carry of each? For security purposes you're not gonna want to leave gold or meds in your vehicle. So you have to be able to carry it with you. Assuming you have gas to even drive in the first place. Or even a car left.

2) Prescription medication is worth way more than gold in a PAW.

3) It's actually useful. You can use it on yourself and others in your party.

4) Simple painkillers and antibiotics weigh very little and take up very little space. But could mean life or death. Severe pain or not severe pain = possible surgical procedure or not. Antibiotics = life threatening illness or not.

5) I don't see gold going up in value in a PAW - only down. So your going to need even more of it. Equalling more weight.

6) Lastly, things that are useful are going to be worth the most. Tents, sleeping bags, warm clothes, firearms, ammo, books on serious subjects. Which one is the smallest and weighs the least? Prescription medication. You could fill 1 lb of your bag with meds and have a doable amount of currency mass. Versus 1 lb of gold. Which isn't going to get you anywhere near what a lb of painkillers or antibiotics is going to get you.

Yes there's a shelf life on meds. But with their worth becoming greater and greater in a PAW. It's the least amount of weight in any category. You could make a killing on selling your meds. And hide the gold you make or firearms you trade for or ammo or what have you. Same with most medical supplies. I for one will be taking along as much meds as I can. Even over the counter meds.

One good 30 day supply of high test painkiller (Which can fit in one medium to large size prescription bottle.) can go for around $2500 on the black market today. Imagine what that's gonna be like in a PAW? Or even lifesaving meds? It's going to top out gold in a very short time. People aren't going to be asking for more heavy weight metal to lug around. They're gonna be asking for knives, pistols and rifles and ammo. Things to keep them out of the elements - tents, shoes, clothing etc. etc.

ON foot meds are the way to go. I guess if you have a madmax range rover you can fill with gold and gas. Your solid. I'm not betting on that. I'm betting on roads failing & gas running out.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:32 pm

Moab. Right on. I went nerd scout leader and then you smartly guided this topic on this forum back to where it needed to be.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

moab

Post by moab » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:47 pm

Asymetryczna wrote:Moab. Right on. I went nerd scout leader and then you smartly guided this topic on this forum back to where it needed to be.
Well I've posted this before. But I never seem to get anyone else on the bandwagon. SO when you meet me at the PAW Mall. You'll know where to get your poopy meds from. ;) I stockpile that too. lol.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:31 pm

moab wrote:
Asymetryczna wrote:Moab. Right on. I went nerd scout leader and then you smartly guided this topic on this forum back to where it needed to be.
Well I've posted this before. But I never seem to get anyone else on the bandwagon. SO when you meet me at the PAW Mall. You'll know where to get your poopy meds from. ;) I stockpile that too. lol.
Hey there, not so fast. You made a believer out of me with some posts about bug out bags and now I have plenty of ibprofen and Tylenol. I need to do a bit more research on other meds, but poop meds and probably upper respiratory meds would be useful.

I learn stuff here. I don't just run my mouth.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:21 am

Halfapint wrote:Thanks Raptor! Great information, for the record I'm not convinced on buying silver. It was just an interesting conversation that she didn't want us to pay her back instead buy silver with it. I personally (pretty sure I said it in my post) think it would be better spent in a private savings account. Our credit union gives us 6.0% interest, that would return a lot more money then buying silver with it.

I only say we would do it because technically it's not "our" money, it's to be paid back to her. If she prefer us to do that then give it back I'd say we have to honor that wish. But again its almost free money/silver regardless.
Please give me name of your credit union---I want to join

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:36 am

Medication and ointments without a doubt are a crucial prep item. As noted they do deteriorate. Some critical ones like insulin require refrigeration.

That said many will last longer than the expiration date some will not, YMMV. Personally if I needed medication and had only an expired one I would prefer that over nothing.

I honestly much prefer meds as barter items than the often made claims of using .22lr as currency or barter. Sorry but things are that bad there is no way in he'll I am trading ammo to someone who may use it on me.

That said these are not mutually exclusionary items. You can get and stockpile whatever you have the ability to lawfully obtain.

Dooms

Post by Dooms » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:18 pm

Biggest thing for me with gold/silver/gemstones is that it's simply financial diversification. Credit Cards stop working? Still have cash on hand. Cash Hyperinflation? Still have gold/silver/diamonds on hand. Mad Max Apocalypse? Well I've still got canned beans to barter.

If the name of the game is prepardness, than I just want options to keep me prepared under the widest range of circumstances. Am I going to dump tons of money into hoarding gold, silver, and diamonds? No, but I'll definitely pick up a couple pieces here and there as funds allow.

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:11 pm

I was a goldbug in the last millenium, stacked a lot then but haven't added to it or followed it much in the last 15 years or so. Not that I don't watch the price daily (check the weather, check kitco, and read the news, in that order every day lol), but one thing that still stuck from the goldbug days is looking at the spot price not in terms of how many dollars an ounce costs, but in terms of how many dollars I can buy with an ounce of gold. Gold has a lot longer history of being money than the US dollar has after all, and it still will be money when the USD fails if history is any lesson. If you look at in those terms - and perhaps consider an ounce of gold would buy a quality weapon, a month of lodging, or a fine set of attire since the days of the Roman Empire at least - then what is really fluctuating in value when the spot price changes, gold or the USD? An ounce of gold still buys what it pretty much always has, can the US dollar say the same?

Then there's this:

In good times I look at my gold holdings as a hedge since most of my net worth is in or only redeemable for USD. For bad/dire times I still think it's the best way to carry an appendectomy, or a new set of truck tires, in your pocket.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:55 am

I have seen the value argument made many times. The thing is that same argument can be made for many commodities including farmland. There may be different units of measure involved for the other commodities than a troy ounce, but many similar comparisons can be made.

I have seen also that same value argument made for name brand pieces of art collectible firearms and antique

I am not saying PM's are good or bad, only that each individual person needs to assess their applicability in their portfolio as well as all of the other options available to them.

If it is an investment you should treat it as such and remember that it is inventory. YMMV.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:38 am

gundogs wrote:
Halfapint wrote:Thanks Raptor! Great information, for the record I'm not convinced on buying silver. It was just an interesting conversation that she didn't want us to pay her back instead buy silver with it. I personally (pretty sure I said it in my post) think it would be better spent in a private savings account. Our credit union gives us 6.0% interest, that would return a lot more money then buying silver with it.

I only say we would do it because technically it's not "our" money, it's to be paid back to her. If she prefer us to do that then give it back I'd say we have to honor that wish. But again its almost free money/silver regardless.
BECU have to be a Washington resident to join. It’s hands down the best credit union.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:05 am

Boeing Employees' Credit Union .
Been there for decades, since before it was opened to outside people; great rates & service.
Recommended.
: )
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:39 am

Halfapint wrote:
gundogs wrote:

BECU have to be a Washington resident to join. It’s hands down the best credit union.
Huh. Website says interest rate for a CD is .75%--- not 6% like you said.
Guess it was a typo

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:24 am

gundogs wrote:
Halfapint wrote:
gundogs wrote:

Huh. Website says interest rate for a CD is .75%--- not 6% like you said.
Guess it was a typo
So, found out what the 6% is, its for personal savings accounts, but only under if you have under $1000 in the account. Personal savings with over $1000 in them are 2.586%. Personal Checking have 1.885% regardless.

Just a mistake on the amount. I found out the account that we keep with all our money in we need to keep in our personal because a Joint Savings account seems to have a .1% interest. So time to move money from the Joint to Personal to make more money on it. Might need to open another personal account as well.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”