For when the Intarwebs go down... Host your own Wikipedia

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

For when the Intarwebs go down... Host your own Wikipedia

Post by Dawgboy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:09 pm

Basically you need 100GB of free space...

http://news.slashdot.org/story/13/11/26 ... ith-images
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Iowa_guy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Re: For when the Intarwebs go down... Host your own Wikipedi

Post by Iowa_guy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:40 pm

Good backup plan for when college finals roll around.

Wikipedia did shut down for 24 hours as a way to get attention to their need for donations. I am sure a few people freaked out.

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:54 pm

Oh no, content that can be edited by anyone went down. Whatever will humanity do?!!
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:17 pm

And that's why I think everyone should keep a real, physical encyclopedia set on hand.

But, hey, I work in an academic library, so maybe I'm a little biased.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:22 pm

Beowolf wrote:And that's why I think everyone should keep a real, physical encyclopedia set on hand.

But, hey, I work in an academic library, so maybe I'm a little biased.
I had one when I was a kid, but man it's way easier to just enter a series of search keys and go.

How often does the downloadable wikipedia get updated? My big issue with physical encyclopedias is how quickly they become irrelevant. I'll bet money that word for word, Wikipedia is more accurate than a set of encyclopedias from 1980.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Beowolf » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:26 pm

I'll argue with accuracy, but not with the issue of current information.

But that's why one could also purchase books on such topics. I know, I know--it's an unsustainable practice to purchase physical tomes of knowledge that represent a fraction of what can be found online at the stroke of a few keys.

This is another reason why I mentioned that a library might be a good place to hole up and resist the oncoming hordes. Upon survival, the information necessary to begin rebuilding would be right there, albeit likely with a few bullet holes and bloodstains. :D
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
ZS Wiki

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:35 pm

Beowolf wrote:I'll argue with accuracy, but not with the issue of current information.
I think they're one and the same. Statistics, medical procedures, understanding of concepts, entire states and countries have changed since then. A 1980 Encyclopedias will still reference the USSR as something that is a current threat to all life. Pluto will still be listed as a planet. The same goes with buying books. Doesn't make much sense as long as you can store the information on an electronic medium, at the very least for space and cost considerations

I guess it all comes down to whether you think the world will crumble and EMPs will cause ACOGs to go dark. I don't personally see a need to store the information to rebuild civilization.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Beowolf » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:40 pm

Well, neither do I. But I'm a reader, so I need something to do. ;)

Calling something inaccurate because countries have changed names since the item was published is not really fair. When you referenced accuracy, I was assuming factual accuracy, not temporal accuracy. The USSR existed in 1980 when the encyclopedia was published. Unless a factual error exists that has been uncovered since the original publication, any reference by a 1980 publication to something that existed in 1980 is not 'inaccurate' but is rather simple a change in history and geopolitics. That's the difference between historical applicability and contemporary applicability, and the latter is where the 'net wins when compared to resources like printed encyclopedias.
-
ZS Wiki

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:03 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:I guess it all comes down to whether you think the world will crumble and EMPs will cause ACOGs to go dark. I don't personally see a need to store the information to rebuild civilization.
More than just EMPs can cause a loss of the power grid. If you loose power then having a downloaded encyclopedia wont help much.

Having physical reference books for essential information you can't keep all in your head is a very wise move. I have a bunch of books I keep for reference material instead of relying on the internet. Though don't currently have a set of encyclopedias, but have had them and plan to eventually again.

Sure encyclopedias might have out dated info on things like what countries are threats etc. But the info on basics of wood working doesn't change much. Neither does basic plumbing, or how electricity works. Oddly a lot of these basic knowledge's are better written in older encyclopedias rather than in modern ones due to coming from times when people would actually used the information in the volume for practical reference rather than just to cite the basics of it for history papers.

You don't prep encyclopedias to know politics or other dated material, but to keep hard copy of basic knowledge of the things that help make society. Of course having a woodworking reference book is better than the encyclopedia's woodworking entry. The Firefox books for example would be a better option or Basic Country Skills. However an old set of encyclopedias can be easy to find and can offer not just useful info, but entertainment.

Something a lot of people don't think about in SHTF is the possible boredom. We have grown used to constant distractions, so having a set of books that you can pick up lots of useful info from can be a good way to pass the time.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:19 pm

Wikipedia had been shown to be as accurate as the Britannica on matters of math and science.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:21 pm

ineffableone wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:I guess it all comes down to whether you think the world will crumble and EMPs will cause ACOGs to go dark. I don't personally see a need to store the information to rebuild civilization.
More than just EMPs can cause a loss of the power grid. If you loose power then having a downloaded encyclopedia wont help much.

Having physical reference books for essential information you can't keep all in your head is a very wise move. I have a bunch of books I keep for reference material instead of relying on the internet. Though don't currently have a set of encyclopedias, but have had them and plan to eventually again.

Sure encyclopedias might have out dated info on things like what countries are threats etc. But the info on basics of wood working doesn't change much. Neither does basic plumbing, or how electricity works. Oddly a lot of these basic knowledge's are better written in older encyclopedias rather than in modern ones due to coming from times when people would actually used the information in the volume for practical reference rather than just to cite the basics of it for history papers.

You don't prep encyclopedias to know politics or other dated material, but to keep hard copy of basic knowledge of the things that help make society. Of course having a woodworking reference book is better than the encyclopedia's woodworking entry. The Firefox books for example would be a better option or Basic Country Skills. However an old set of encyclopedias can be easy to find and can offer not just useful info, but entertainment.

Something a lot of people don't think about in SHTF is the possible boredom. We have grown used to constant distractions, so having a set of books that you can pick up lots of useful info from can be a good way to pass the time.
Let me rephrase: I don't believe in the apocalypse, whether by EMP or space armadillo. Period. Having reference books around? Sure, to a certain extent. Kindle can run for a month on a charge, and be recharged by this nifty solar power doodad I have, so that takes care of a lot of stuff. I have physical copies of medical reference materials and some stuff my grandfather left me, but the medical stuff is about all I think I'll ever need to use.

The use for the downloaded wiki is if you're away from the intertubes periodically. Not for rebuilding society. As an aside, I'd love to see the encyclopedia that has use as a reference material for physical projects. Never seen one that did, as they tended to be more centered around academic knowledge.

Wraith6761

Post by Wraith6761 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:25 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:As an aside, I'd love to see the encyclopedia that has use as a reference material for physical projects. Never seen one that did, as they tended to be more centered around academic knowledge.
Well, the word "encyclopedia" isn't in the title, but here's something that comes close to fulfilling your wish (and it's pretty darn handy to have around the house :lol: ):
http://www.amazon.com/Popular-Mechanics ... im_sbs_b_1
Woods Walker wrote:...I don't think it matters if a backpack has Dora the Explorer on it. Based on my observations from years of hunting and fishing if something looks and acts like prey it will draw in predators.

xLionx

Post by xLionx » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:47 pm

This is pretty awesome

hawk55732
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead and City of the Dead

Post by hawk55732 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:49 pm

Wraith6761 wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:As an aside, I'd love to see the encyclopedia that has use as a reference material for physical projects. Never seen one that did, as they tended to be more centered around academic knowledge.
Well, the word "encyclopedia" isn't in the title, but here's something that comes close to fulfilling your wish (and it's pretty darn handy to have around the house :lol: ):
http://www.amazon.com/Popular-Mechanics ... im_sbs_b_1

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this. I just ordered it.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”