rechargeable Batteries

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

rickp

rechargeable Batteries

Post by rickp » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:23 pm

Hey guys,
I'm looking for some good brands for rechargeable batteries, like AA,AAA, C,D and even Lithiums (for tactical lights)
I have a solar panel that can recharge up to 12 straight from the panel, but If I want more than that then I need a battery pack system to get more power. They tend to weigh a lot so not too practical for humping it.

Again Im just looking for the more reputable brands of rechargeable batteries. Thanks.

R.
"In the end, it is not about the hardware, it's about the "software". Amateurs talk about hardware (equipment), professionals talk about software (training and mental readiness)" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: rechargeable Batteries

Post by raptor » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:55 pm

I have used all of these without any issues.

Enerloops
http://www.amazon.com/eneloop-typical-P ... eneloop+aa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amazon generic
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-NiMH ... +batteries" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Energizer
http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Recharg ... +batteries" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Duracell
http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Recharge ... +batteries" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can use these sleeves for C & D Batteries.
http://www.amazon.com/eneloop-SEC-DSPAC ... ter+for+aa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.amazon.com/eneloop-SEC-CSPAC ... ter+for+aa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RecycledElectrons

Post by RecycledElectrons » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:52 am

Raptor has made some excellent suggstions.

http://Www.MetaEfficient.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has done reviews of the best rechargable batteries out there.

I get all myrechargable lithiums from http://www.FastTech.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I use 99% 18650s. Panasonics and Sanyos are the best. A full explanation and test results are available over at http://www.CandlePowerForums.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:02 am

I kept track of AA battery longevity in my PC wireless mouse and found "Enerloop" to be the best,followed by "Tenergy"

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:35 am

Have a question regarding rechargeable batteries.
I see little notices in many of my 'devices' saying not to use rechargeable batteries.
Someone told me long ago that is because they get hot.
Do the new ones stay cool?
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:44 pm

ZombieGranny wrote:Have a question regarding rechargeable batteries.
I see little notices in many of my 'devices' saying not to use rechargeable batteries.

I use these batteries only in some walkie talkies so I cannot say I have experience with all types of equipment. The walkie talkies go through batteries because they are in 24/7 service so it is easier to swap out battery packs rather than leave the whole unit in the charger to charge. This works fine for us but would be silly if we did not use rechargeable AA.

Without knowing what the equipment is it is difficult to say exactly why they discourage rechargeable batteries. I suspect though that it is more of a voltage issue than a heating issue.

NiMh batteries when fully charged put out only 1.2 volts vs. 1.5 volts for alkaline batteries and that causes issues with equipment that is not designed for this type of battery. It may even show as low battery on some electronics.

The NiZn on the other hand have 1.65 volts vs. the 1.5 volts for alkaline. The excess voltage can fry some equipment.

Here is a good link to more information on the subject.

http://michaelbluejay.com/batteries/rechargeable.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:15 pm

Maybe the maker has an interest in a conventional battery maker. I have used rechargeable batts in everything I own & never had a problem

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:16 pm

raptor wrote:

I use these batteries only in some walkie talkies so I cannot say I have experience with all types of equipment. The walkie talkies go through batteries because they are in 24/7 service so it is easier to swap out battery packs rather than leave the whole unit in the charger to charge. This works fine for us but would be silly if we did not use rechargeable AA.

Without knowing what the equipment is it is difficult to say exactly why they discourage rechargeable batteries. I suspect though that it is more of a voltage issue than a heating issue.

NiMh batteries when fully charged put out only 1.2 volts vs. 1.5 volts for alkaline batteries and that causes issues with equipment that is not designed for this type of battery. It may even show as low battery on some electronics.

The NiZn on the other hand have 1.65 volts vs. the 1.5 volts for alkaline. The excess voltage can fry some equipment.

Here is a good link to more information on the subject.

http://michaelbluejay.com/batteries/rechargeable.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I would agree with Raptor, that it would depend on the equipment, but some things may have been designed with alkaline batteries in mind and with little tolerance for alternative voltages. In theory, NiMH should maintain it's nominal voltage of 1.2 V longer than alkaline in use (has a flatter discharge curve), but if the device has a battery gauge designed for 1.5 V , it may never indicate the battery condition correctly. It is also complicated by the fact that with the flatter discharge curve, NiMH tends to read about the same voltage throughout the middle of its capacity right up until it is almost flat dead, and then drops rapidly. The lower voltage may also cause some devices like non-regulated headlamps to never reach full rated brightness either.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

CitizenZ

Post by CitizenZ » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:40 pm

In my experience those notices where more more an issue with early rechargeables. New ones are much better but in general many still have lower or higher voltages than conventional batteries. But they usually make up for it with very long operating times. If the device takes a voltage reference from the battery or does not tolerate the difference it could be a problem.
At work I use 9v lithium ions that always have less than 8.5v. The battery indicator always reads low battery warning even though they last twice as long as conventionals. It makes the built in battery indicator useless. But given the advantages they are worth it.
"Victory awaits him who has everything in order, luck people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck"- The South Pole, Roald Amundsen - 1912

Apocalyptus Rex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Ночь живых мертвецов
Возвращение живых мертвецов
Рассвет мертвецов (1978)

Post by Apocalyptus Rex » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:00 pm

On a related note.

At the end of next month, the EPA will be shutting down the last remaining primary lead smelter in the United States.
In addition to contributing to the cost and scarcity of ammunition, the price of batteries should also be affected.
This is definitely a good time to stock up on batteries
Si vis pacem, para bellum

rickp

Post by rickp » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:50 am

Hey guys, thanks for the good replies.

FYI, I'm planning on using them on radios, some camping lights, some flashlights and a GPS.

I got a portable solar panel and would like like to use rechargeable if normal batteries can't be found or if hiking and trying to cut down weight.

Again, thanks.

R.
"In the end, it is not about the hardware, it's about the "software". Amateurs talk about hardware (equipment), professionals talk about software (training and mental readiness)" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:31 pm

Apocalyptus Rex wrote:
On a related note.

At the end of next month, the EPA will be shutting down the last remaining primary lead smelter in the United States.
In addition to contributing to the cost and scarcity of ammunition, the price of batteries should also be affected.
This is definitely a good time to stock up on batteries
Also look into the rapidly improving lithium batteries where prices continue to drop. ZS member JayceSlayn has shared this great source:
http://www.batteryspace.com/lifepo4cellspacks.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PS: The lead smelter company's announcement is here: http://www.doerun.com/MediaCenter/NewsR ... pdate.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

eugene

Post by eugene » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:05 pm

Your consumer AA, AAA, C, D rechargeable and lithium based in laptops and such do not depend on lead so it won't affect it much.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:33 pm

eugene wrote:Your consumer AA, AAA, C, D rechargeable and lithium based in laptops and such do not depend on lead so it won't affect it much.

car starting batteries, sealed lead-acid gel batteries, bullets and more are affected but that is a whole different thread and will quickly diverge into politics. :words:

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:55 pm

teotwaki wrote:
eugene wrote:Your consumer AA, AAA, C, D rechargeable and lithium based in laptops and such do not depend on lead so it won't affect it much.

car starting batteries, sealed lead-acid gel batteries, bullets and more are affected but that is a whole different thread and will quickly diverge into politics. :words:
I call bullshit. The smelter had been in violation since the sixties or some shit. Given that there was only one smelter in operation in the US, you can bet that the lead has been coming from somewhere else for quite some time.
Last edited by Doctorr Fabulous on Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:58 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
teotwaki wrote:

I call bullshit. The smelter had been in violation of sdince the sixties or some shit. Given that there was only one smelter in operation in the US, you can bet that the lead has been coming from somewhere else for quite some time.
The two key sources for US imports of the lead are Canada and Mexico.
http://www.indexmundi.com/en/commoditie ... d_t12.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lead acid batteries are by far the biggest consumer of lead and in most states by law must be recycled. About 96% of batteries are recycled.
http://www.epa.gov/osw/conserve/materia ... eryrecycle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This not on topic so please let stay away from politics and on the subject of batteries.
Last edited by raptor on Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoipoloi

Post by Hoipoloi » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:33 pm

I have finally got round to replacing the head torch in my INCH bag so that my hand torch and head torch both take a single AA battery. I have also bought a small solar charger that does 4xAAs at a time.
My question is, do I have to charge them regularly (if so how often) or can I just take them out of the packet, pack them away and expect them to be 'as new' (ready to charge) in a few years time?

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:14 pm

Hoipoloi wrote:I have finally got round to replacing the head torch in my INCH bag so that my hand torch and head torch both take a single AA battery. I have also bought a small solar charger that does 4xAAs at a time.
My question is, do I have to charge them regularly (if so how often) or can I just take them out of the packet, pack them away and expect them to be 'as new' (ready to charge) in a few years time?
This will depend partly on the kind of rechargeable batteries you have. Sanyo's Eneloops are a kind of Low Self-Discharge (LSD) NiMH battery, which means they are resistant to losing charge over time. All batteries lose charge over time, which is a function of the chemistry, design/construction, and age/State-of-Charge (SoC). Eneloops are supposed to retain up to 90% charge after 1 year, and ~70% charge after 5 years in storage. This is pretty good in comparison to older NiMH technologies, which could discharge up to 50% in a year.

So if you are using Eneloops (other types you will have to look up and see what they specify) within a year of the last time you charged them, and 90% charge is acceptable to you, then it shouldn't be a problem to store them without maintenance for that time. I would give them a fresh charge after you first get the batteries, and maybe a top-up every year or half-year, whatever suits your needs best.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

Hoipoloi

Post by Hoipoloi » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:32 pm

Good thing is I haven't got the rechargeables yet, although I do have a drawer full of various makes that are probably old technology (I'm just too mean to throw them out).
I did come across Eneloop when I was looking at chargers and the reviews were all good. Eneloop it is then.

I have yet to make a check list of expiry dates/rotation for other items so battery charging will probably fall in with something else that needs seeing to bi-annually.

Many thanks.

itzybitzyspyder
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living DeadBoth), Dawn of the Dead(both, 28 Days Later, the crappy ones on SyFy channel, B movies

Post by itzybitzyspyder » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:17 pm

Two words: Sanyo eneloop
~sent via pigeon with a note on it's foot

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:55 am

itzybitzyspyder wrote:Two words: Sanyo eneloop
3rd word: GREAT
:mrgreen:

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:29 am

teotwaki wrote:
itzybitzyspyder wrote:Two words: Sanyo eneloop
3rd word: GREAT
:mrgreen:

I agree. I also use Tenergy.

Odinsown

buck85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Apocalypse Now

Post by buck85 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:55 am

informative!!!!!
If you know who you are, you can, then know other people.

If you have faith, chaos will turn into order.

Let them hate...So long as they fear!

In the absence of light darkness will prevail

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:55 am

Ok, back again with another basic question.
What do you charge them IN?

For Christmas last year, someone bought me a pack that had a Rayovac charger with some AA & AAA batteries, and I can't get the silly things to take a charge.
Might be the batteries, might be the charger...might just be a piece of doggy doodoo.
-
Thanks, raptor, for the information on why some 'devices' might not like rechargeables.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”