Built a 1080AH battery bank w/ a modded APC Smart UPS (pics)

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Built a 1080AH battery bank w/ a modded APC Smart UPS (p

Post by teotwaki » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:29 pm

Very nice real life test! With less need to run a generator the lack of noise means a lower profile and less chance of unwelcome visitors.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

karkera

Post by karkera » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:52 am

Dear Sir,

I have a APC UPS SUA 2200 / 3000 tower type (probable manufactured in 1999), now that the UPS is not working that is to say that despite the battery changes, the UPS shuts down, all line voltage and battery is fine... Can someone help me with the schematic diagram of the same... for which I would be grateful.. at the same time I would reuest any of you being experts or having worked on this model to please guide me in this.... I am already familiar with broadcasting equipment servicing etc... so that shopuld be a problem if any of you dear friends can guide me in this.

Many Thanks in Advance..

With Best Regards to all
Karkera

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:30 pm

karkera wrote:Dear Sir,

I have a APC UPS SUA 2200 / 3000 tower type (probable manufactured in 1999), now that the UPS is not working that is to say that despite the battery changes, the UPS shuts down, all line voltage and battery is fine... Can someone help me with the schematic diagram of the same... for which I would be grateful.. at the same time I would request any of you being experts or having worked on this model to please guide me in this.... I am already familiar with broadcasting equipment servicing etc... so that should be a problem if any of you dear friends can guide me in this.

Many Thanks in Advance..

With Best Regards to all
Karkera
I tried a few searches in Google images. I found the SUA 1000 here:
http://smanuals.ru/files/fileadmin/serv ... -sch_3.gif

It might be a scaled down version of your 2200 having less FETs and smaller transformers

Try searches with APC spelled out as American Power Conversion and also if you can find the board or assembly number silk screened on the printed circuit board try searching on that too.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Maast
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead

Post by Maast » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:13 pm

karkera wrote:Dear Sir,

I have a APC UPS SUA 2200 / 3000 tower type (probable manufactured in 1999), now that the UPS is not working that is to say that despite the battery changes, the UPS shuts down, all line voltage and battery is fine... Can someone help me with the schematic diagram of the same... for which I would be grateful.. at the same time I would reuest any of you being experts or having worked on this model to please guide me in this.... I am already familiar with broadcasting equipment servicing etc... so that shopuld be a problem if any of you dear friends can guide me in this.

Many Thanks in Advance..

With Best Regards to all
Karkera
Welcome to ZombieSquad, check in at the newcomers area and introduce yourself. Regarding your UPS, I'm sorry I don't have a full schematic of a 2200 but teotwaki gave you a pretty good link and they'll be similar. You're going to have to take the cover completely off and check out your board components and verify continuity between the board and its batteries. With a multimeter check any resistors that look like they got hot, check for bulging capacitors. Look at the mosfets VERY closely and compare different fets readings between their legs, the power mosfets are the ones bonded to the aluminum heatsink slabs, they're the most likely suspect. APC is really good at labeling the board components - if you find a suspect component you'll need to google for the value of the burnt component if you can't read it. As a general recommendation if you find something burnt when you replace it upsize the component to double its specs. For example if you burnt a half-watt resistor upsize it to a one-watt resistor, don't change the component value, just upsize it's heat dissipation for a resistor, ripple/voltage tolerance if it's a capacitor, etc.

You need to remove the batteries from the unit and test them separately, if the voltage is too low an APC UPS won't even turn on. You can start a APC UPS that's not plugged into the wall without a battery string, you apply a 48V (or 24V depending on model) to the batt input connector and "force start" the unit by holding down the "on" button until it beeps, releasing the button and then immediately pushing it again.

If you can get the UPS operational at all check the software settings I mentioned in my first post. Your battery constant may be incremented all the way down and it thinks it has a worn out battery string with little or no capacity.

Good luck on your troubleshoot, you might be better off just googling for a replacement main circuit board.

Edit: Strange coincidence, three hours after I wrote this my modified SUA750 died. A resistor cooked.
"Everybody thinks they're the hero of their own story"

phreich

Post by phreich » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:52 pm

Hi Maast,

I just completed acquiring and getting an APC SU3000NET myself, and got it running, and was doing some research on the web to answer some questions I had and found your post. I joined the forum to communicate with you regarding some of my SU3000NET questions.

I PM'd you the questions -- did you get the PM? I'm not sure because it is showing up in the "outbox" and not in the "sent" folder. Please let me know if you got it. If not, I'll need to send you the questions in a different manner.

Great post, BTW! :)

phreich

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”