Keeping motivation high?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Spd164

Keeping motivation high?

Post by Spd164 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:35 pm

Looking for tips and tricks from the hive mind on how to keep your motivation level high during an event, or just in general. Due to several things that I'm not really interested in discussing, I've got a tendancy to become lethargic and decidedly un-motivated from time to time (often). Call it the winter blues, depression, falling into a funk, whatever, it happens to me a lot and as a result I go through periods where very little if anything gets done around my house. In the interest of being more prepared for an emergency, how do you all motivate yourselves to stay busy and complete project after project without stalling out and letting the couch suck you in?

Mods, I apologize if this thread is in the wring spot, but I coudn't decide exactly where "mental preparedness" fell into the different topics.

vawilderness
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Zombieland, The Crazies, The Walking Dead, The Plague of the Zombies, Dead Snow, Planet Terror, White Zombie, Land of the Dead, Let Sleeping Corpses Lie... to name a few.

Re: Keeping motivation high?

Post by vawilderness » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:57 pm

Keeping a positive mental attitude probably isn't as easy as it sounds, especially if things are going all pear-shaped. If this is really a problem for you, I'd say seek professional help, get pills (or whatever), and establish a support network.

Getting a professional opinion (assuming you haven't already) will help you understand clearly what you are facing and how to manage the "funk". Lots of people seem reluctant to do this, I don't know why though... It seems to me like doing preventive maintenance on a weapon or a vehicle, right? Find a problem and fix it when it's small (maybe that's just me).

Getting on a program, whether it is medication, exercise, or regular therapy, will set you up to have more good days. It will also help you recognize when you are down and help you bounce back faster.

Establishing a support network of friends or family who understand what you are dealing with will be a critical to managing your moods day in and day out. They will also be helpful in motivating you to get out and do stuff.

I'm no professional, I don't have much experience with this stuff. I'm mostly just repeating what I heard in the USMC and in other government service.

Any way, keep the faith and stay moto.
If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:11 pm

Understood about not wanting to go into the details behind your tendencies in general. Believe me when I say many of us struggle with the same issues.

Regarding maintaining a high level of motivation during an event or just in general, you're talking about two very distinct things.

I can tell you from experience that motivation during an actual emergency just isn't going to be a problem. It's incredibly energizing and particularly if you have friends, family and neighbors to be concerned about, you'll never find yourself with more interest and motivation to deal with challenges and get things done.

Maintaining interest in general prepping is a constant struggle for most of us and comes up for discussion here at ZS from time to time. If this wasn't an issue, ZS would be a straight up disaster prep site and we wouldn't need to guss up the subject matter with the zombie metaphor. So you're in good company.

I can tell you the single biggest thing for me is knowing that I'm not alone in my recognition of the need to prep. Registering here at these forums was a really good start you've taken because we definitely want to support your desire to prepare for disasters.

If you haven't already, I highly, highly encourage you to contact members of your local ZS chapter and get involved. ZS'ers are really good people and It's incredibly energizing to meet with, talk to and do things with like-minded people.

My other tricks are to focus on prepping projects that are either:

1) easy to do (and thus allow me to achieve satisfying results with minimal effort/expense) or
2) involve things that are particularly interesting to me.

These two strategies don't guide your preps in the most efficient or prudent way, but they do keep you at it, and you're always better off doing something rather than nothing at all.

The first strategy includes things like saving my 2 liter soda bottles, washing them out with a bleach solution and filling them up with fresh tap water and a few drops of chlorine bleach. Every week my water preps increase by a half a gallon or so and I've amassed several weeks worth of emergency water with very little investment. Another thing I do is pick up a few extra cans of tuna or boxes of pasta or whatever shelf stable food item happens to be on sale each week. It's very satisfying to see my emergency food preps grow.

As far as the particularly interesting stuff goes, I've allowed myself to pursue a long-deferred interest in firearms. I personally don't believe that guns are going to play a major role in dealing with any of the likely disasters I'll face in my lifetime. But I recognize that personal security is a valid concern if the worst should ever come to pass. So I've made the leap to firearms ownership and personal marksmanship, which I've found to be very rewarding. I've even gotten into ammunition reloading, an unexpectedly satisfying side hobby.

I'm also looking forward to getting into ham radio and alternative energy sources such as solar and wind power. Prepping offers a justification to engage in things I might otherwise not ever do.
Last edited by majorhavoc on Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:16 pm

Stay busy is staying busy.

- Set goals that are difficult but achievable then achieve them.
- Spend lots of time with friends and family. (I have heard this does not work if your family is making you depressed but I love mine)
- Exercise. Reduces stress, improves body image.
- Do things you enjoy if you can.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:42 pm

Teach, its hard to feel bad for your self when your teaching hard won skills to others.
SMoAF wrote:

It's always a mistake to confuse general affability with the inability to do harm.

Vicarious_Lee

I dunked a bitch's head in a bucket of ice water one time when she was OD-ing on Xanax. Worked great, but there was a LOT of paperwork afterward. :lol:

Spd164

Post by Spd164 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:22 pm

docdredd wrote:Teach, its hard to feel bad for your self when your teaching hard won skills to others.
You know, the one thing that I enjoy the most about police work is teaching the rookies when they first come on the job. Unfortunately, in my current assignment I don't get the opportunity to teach as much as I'd like to, and I don't see myself being able to move out of here any time soon. There's a lot of truth in what you say here bro, for sure.

Everyone else, thanks for the suggestions. I have sought professional help in the past, have been diagnosed, and balked at the pills. It wouldn't necessarily look to good for a guy in my position to be taking mood altering meds, know what I mean? I have a fairly good support network, but I've lost touch with a lot of them recently due to scheduling SNAFU's and my job being ridiculously busy and involved. As far as family goes, I hate to say it, I really do, I love them a great deal but they are definitely part of the problem and not the solution.

I definitely agree that during an "event" I wouldn't be asking these questions. I mean, that type of stuff is kinda what I live for, and I haven't had any problems dealing with any crisis I've been involved in (and there's plenty). I guess it's the drudgery of day to day life that gets me down the most. I know I need to excersize and I have all the good intentions in the world, but I just can't seem to force myself out of the rut that I've driven myself into.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, it's a big help. Keep 'em comin!

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:27 pm

As far as the seeing a doctor and taking pills route goes: Not sure how long ago you left the military, but this was totally commonplace when I left like 6 months ago. Company Commanders and 1SGs were in there all the time and nobody looked at them any different. People that do a lot of shit, and see a lot of shit, go through the most shit.

It doesn't need to be permanent either. I jumped on a prescription after some rough stuff in the military. It wasn't ever unbearable, and it didn't keep me from being able to do my job, but it still sucked. A couple of months later, things were a lot better. It just gave me an opportunity to get some perspective, which makes a big difference. Everyone's situation is different, but it couldn't hurt to give it a shot. Worst case scenario is that it doesn't do anything for you, and you are only out a few hours of your time.

Kelvar
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by Kelvar » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:07 am

Spd164 wrote:
docdredd wrote:
I definitely agree that during an "event" I wouldn't be asking these questions. I mean, that type of stuff is kinda what I live for, and I haven't had any problems dealing with any crisis I've been involved in (and there's plenty). I guess it's the drudgery of day to day life that gets me down the most.
I'd find something else to live for.
Failure to plan means planning to fail.
JamesCannon wrote:I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Pig wrote:How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:26 am

Ide also recommend 2 books for your. They were written by an Army Ranger who was also a shrink, Now dont let this turn you off this guy was one of Us and isnt one of those bleeding heart rainbows and unicorns guys. His book has some damn good insight into what happens to us during high stress environments and how the body can become addicted to it.

On Combat (This is the second book and goes over the mental side of what happens in combat and training to kill, Read on killing first if you can)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/096492 ... WB254XM57M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On killing (This is his first book and it goes in depth into what happens in the body during high stress encounters)
http://www.amazon.com/Killing-Psycholog ... 0316040932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I recommend these books to all my brothers in arms when this kind of thing comes up, and also to the serious civilian shooters that come to my Concealed Deadly weapon classes.
SMoAF wrote:

It's always a mistake to confuse general affability with the inability to do harm.

Vicarious_Lee

I dunked a bitch's head in a bucket of ice water one time when she was OD-ing on Xanax. Worked great, but there was a LOT of paperwork afterward. :lol:

Spd164

Keeping motivation high?

Post by Spd164 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:19 pm

Thanks Doc I own and have read both of LtCol Grossman's books several times. There's a lot of good scoop in there.

Gr3g

Post by Gr3g » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:49 pm

All the current day motivational and achievement advice you'll need...without the fluffy clouds and unicorns:

http://99u.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Whether you're needing this information to get out of bed, creating the next great website, learning to make a bow drill or cope with the apocalypse then the skills are more or less the same.

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:49 am

What works for me?

1) A strong religious foundation. I'll stop that part there though so I don't violate forum rules.
2) Resielency; This takes time, but it can be done by you, right here, right now. Condition yourself. Learn to "Embrace the suck", so to speak. Learn to do with out. Eat a bowl of rice for lunch, and learn to enjoy it. Go with-out the internet for a day...or longer. Go outside and do stuff in the cold. Basically, you want to condition yourself in a controlled environment, so adapting to the real situations will be a LOT easier.
3) Know your weaknesses (physical/mental/equipment); fix the ones you can, accept the ones you can't
4) Get out there and DO STUFF...explore your limits; go white water rafting, climbing, camping...experience, exposure, etc. al.
5) Keep things in perspective...are things really "that bad"? Do you have food and water? Are you alive? A survivor of the event? Keep things in perspective.

Walden by Henry David Thorough is a good book that puts a lot of life lessons into perspective...recommended reading.

An easy way to look at it, the miltary teaches "Four Pillars" of well being:
-Physical
-Mental
-Spiritual
-Social

And some quotes that keep me going:

"I have learned, in whatever state (condition/situation) I am in, to be content" Paul

"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts" Lawrence of Arabia (or minding that it's cold, sucks, etc.)

"This to, shall come to pass"

"Embrace The Suck"
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

The Commander

Post by The Commander » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:02 am

Thinking of what's happened in recent years gets my ass in gear...hurricanes, wildfires, tornadoes, tsunamis, earthquakes, economies collapsing, civil unrest, whole communities wiped out, cities going bankrupt...

I never stop learning or trying to improve myself in some way. Though I'm an absolute creature of habit, I'll try different techniques. I also realize I've had an awareness of worldly events, and maybe it's my job to help family and friends in time of despiration because they refuse to make any effort whatsoever in prepping.

Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:18 am

On my own, I can get very unmotivated as well, but if it came down to taking care of my wife or our pets, motivation is through the roof. For myself, it's cliche as hell, but the first step is the hardest. Don't worry about the massive amount of shit that might need to be done, just focus on one thing at a time.

You can even trick yourself. A guy I used to work with who was self-employed much of the time did this. He never started doing anything, we just always went to look at it and see what it was going to take, made a plans for how we could do it, maybe get materials and lunch while we're out, try something out to see how it would work, etc. And the next thing you knew, we'd built a whole room addition. It was totally remarkable how with this approach it never felt like you were really plowing into this epic project; it always felt like you were just screwing around with piddly projects in someone's house with your buddy.

Music and sunshine helps keep me going quite a bit as well.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”