Without guns, prep for workplace shooter

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.
Abuhin

Without guns, prep for workplace shooter

Post by Abuhin » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:28 pm

Yeah, there's other threads on this. I've seen some in thread graveyard. But, a lot of them just come back to getting a gun. So I just want to start a fresh one.

My day job wouldn't let me carry, even if I get the CCW license. No, I'm not going to just quit and find a place that lets employees open carry. Financialy, it's not an option right now.
As for my start-up, if it ever moves out of my dad's backyard shed, I'm still not sure I'll be able to if the property owner won't allow it, or it will affect my insurance. I'm looking it up, but getting conflicting info. But let's not bother on that in this thread. Please focus on what can be done now.

I don't think it upsets the "No Politics" rule to say that recent anti-Asian crimes have me worried, but if so, my apologies. Yeah, we have a lot of local Asian-Americans as clients and dealings. But even before these past two years, I've had concerns. And there was a recent burglary. Fortunately, it was just a quick smash and grab for some cash and no lasting harm. We upgraded our security after that.

It's a small, one-story building, not attached to the neighboring buildings. The doors are glass, and the immediate area is rather open with little concealment. There is a heavy-set, intimidating-looking guy as soon as you enter, but he isn't bullet-proof.

So what can I do if confronted on my way to escape?

Weaponry
Bear Spray. Works on people, too, right? I bring my own sanitizing spray in to work all the time. Probably no one would notice if I included a can of it among my Lysol stash.

Using a Fire Extinguisher seems a popular suggestion, too.

Taser? I'm not sure Policy would allow it, either.

And of course, there's Joerg's video

Now for what might be a plus side: a display with spears on them. They may be intended as decorative, but they aren't harmless. Still capable of piercing human flesh even if not fully sharpened. But really, I know my Kung Fu isn't strong enough to deflect bullets with a glorified decoration. I'd have to sneak and ambush the shooter.

Portable cover

Now I can't currently afford one of these:

And I don't think anyone would approve if I could. Or let me just stash it in the break room.
But maybe the briefcase shield could work:

And what if I improvise one? Ceramic plates in some sort of apron, and draped over a wheeled office chair, perhaps?

Another thing I'm considering: get an old filing cabinet on castor wheels. Lots of people could have an excuse to bring one in, right? Fill with old dictionaries and phone books. Maybe even a steel plate. Push it in front of me, ready to duck down and hold my spray up.

Is an inspection mirror worth having? I could peek around corners to see if the shooters there. But I suppose that only works for some stalker creep type who wants to play games and target specific people. I'm guessing most would just shoot at the movement and follow through right away. Maybe I shouldn't bother.

Anything else you can think of, let me know. Improvising weapons or defenses I haven't considered.
Any replies appreciated.
Disclaimer: For anonymity and security's sake, this poster may alter, omit, or fabricate details of his personal life and circumstances.

tony d tiger

Re: Without guns, prep for workplace shooter

Post by tony d tiger » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:54 am

Is a knife not allowed?
Fiskars scissors makes a nice substitute for a knife if you need to go that route.
Tony D Tiger

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:36 pm

Aside from knowing all points of egress, I haven't got much. I would however, reconsider bear spray, especially indoors.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:59 pm

Is there a door between the rooms? I've been on the receiving end of 2x 25k cuft smoke grenades in a semi enclosed space, and frankly it was all I could do to find a corner and tuck... Plus if you go with a vibrant red color, you're sure to attract attention...
The Horde has left these parts and shambled over to ufozs.com ...

Abuhin

Post by Abuhin » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:05 pm

tony d tiger wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:54 am
Is a knife not allowed?
Fiskars scissors makes a nice substitute for a knife if you need to go that route.
I actually did bring in my own boxcutter. No one's had a problem with it. I suppose that could work for a weapon if up close.

I have on of those flashlights with strobe option. Think that'll at least buy me a few more seconds?
Disclaimer: For anonymity and security's sake, this poster may alter, omit, or fabricate details of his personal life and circumstances.

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:20 pm

Abuhin wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:05 pm
tony d tiger wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:54 am
Is a knife not allowed?
I actually did bring in my own boxcutter. No one's had a problem with it. I suppose that could work for a weapon if up close.

I have on of those flashlights with strobe option. Think that'll at least buy me a few more seconds?
Well, you never know, do ya... :words:
Tony D Tiger

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:24 pm

I have two flashlights most of the time (more, if on bike, or in car/truck)... not so much for self-defense as to provide light when/where needed.

I even have a AAA pocket light - never know when someone might turn out the lights while you're sitting in a stall. :rofl:
Tony D Tiger