Pandemic Event: What I learned from 'MJotZY'

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

zombiepreparation

Re: Pandemic Event: What I learned from 'MJotZY'

Post by zombiepreparation » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:04 pm

Interesting:

My Walmart has moved the masks, gloves, and hydrogen peroxide from the isle they used to sit to the front of the pharmacy.

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:44 pm

MJOTZY (ZS pg 1) []Day SEVEN[/u]:
"My brother drove by with his last trucking load before he permanently moves up to Mom and Dad’s place. While he was here he dropped off a bunch of canned goods from a run he made south of here. He also brought some stuff from Mom and Dad, like those home canned pears mom had made a couple of cases of for my birthday and some material and patterns from where she had been cleaning out her sewing room. She also sent me an old ceramic crock and some gallon-sized Ball jars. She also sent me some other stuff but I’m not going to list it out here. Too many odds and ends. Her letter said that she was “down sizing” since my brother and his family were moving up there. I think she was just doing some Autumn cleaning sending her stuff down to me. Not that I’m not grateful and all, but now I have a ton of Autumn cleaning and reorganizing to do. There is stuff spread everywhere in the house."

There is stuff spread everywhere in my tiny apartment too. I'll just say I'm autumn cleaning if anyone asks. :lol:

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:04 pm

Unrelated to MJOTZY I know, but I am so impressed with the reporting on Ebola everything that is being done by this Dr. Seema Yasmin, former CDC Detective. Her information is unhesitating, her bearing is calmly confident of her reporting accuracy, and her voice and presentations are soothing. Like a health care professional giving me information that is scary in manner that reduces my anxiety. I need this soothing confidence.... as I prep and wait to see how this plays out.

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:28 pm

MJOTZY (ZS pg 1) Day FIVE:
"They closed the bridges and tunnels in and out of NYC. I mean, you can line up and get screened before leaving the city but its taking a really long time. Even with sporatic rioting, lines literally snake for miles from the heavily guarded exit points. You have to prove you don’t have any open or recent flesh wounds before you are allowed out of the quarantine zone. People are crossing the river to get out illegally but you have to be careful. They are patrolling with armed Coast Guard boats now and they ain't messing around. During one of the news segments, the interviewed a guy who was having a screaming hissy fit because they wouldn’t let him through even though he just had a cut on his chin from where he had shaved that morning. Another women, the mother of a couple of toddlers who were crying in the background, her whole family is is stuck because one of her kids had a scraped knee. More than a time or two I’ve heard NYC described as the “City of the Doomed” on various survival sites but it was more of a joke than anything else. The jokes not so funny these days.

"The story goes that Instead of properly disposing of the NRS victims were they were found, NYPD had been ordered by city officials to remove them to the local morgue for disposal so as to avoid any kind of public incidences. Yeah, that worked. Not. According to reports coming over CNN two morgue locations and their staffs have been “sanitized.” Yeah, they actually used the word sanitized. I wonder if that is anything like culling livestock within a certain proximity of an outbreak whether they register infected or not. A small apartment complex was also declared contaminated with 28 NRS-positives and they’ve quarantined several blocks in all directions and are making a building-by-building inspection.

"I’m spending yet another sleepless night trying to figure out what to do next."

My mind is not willing to believe there is now another case in Dallas. My mind is also telling me these things, these HUMAN measures are far from fail proof and there is at least reasonable chance this Ebola is going to keep slipping in. There are just too many avenues of entry here and around the world and too many measures needed to contain/stop the spread. And logically too many people, each with the chance of small mistakes made, involved in every aspect of........ well, everything.

My mind is divided between them. But I did tell myself, even while I was methodically (and slowly) getting my apartment in order just in case, that I would take everything absolutely seriously, if.....

If another US case...
If another European case...
If another non-African continent case...

Well, hello Dallas.

And I will now prepare As If it is coming to an airport near me, and that possibly for a time I very much COULD now expect to self-quarantine for protection. All the time 'believing' the Red Flags that are waving will be just warnings that will be corrected soon.

I can't believe my good fortune to have found ZS a few years ago, and MJOTZY not long after and so am way ahead of the place I 'could' have been today.

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:54 pm

MJOTZY. (ZS pg 1), Day ONE:
"The first case of NRS turned out to merely be the first case of several."

1) Thankfully the Red Flags that have been pounded on by the media seems to be having an effect. I just listened to the HEAD GUY's news broadcast spelling out in detail what has been immediately set in place to actually now TRAIN the front line medical professionals in PPE use and discard to protect them and keep them safe and uninfected.

The HEAD GUYS have now marched passed:
-merely telling and explaining procedures to the [people in charge] of a med facility
-who merely tell the front line professionals there how and what they were told
-who then have to teach themselves without benefit of actual training from those qualified to train in all those tiny and important details necessary in actual training to protect themselves & keep them safe.

The HEAD GUYS are sending trainers to the front line people.... to actually give them training and assess and make sure they have the resources they must have. Must have.

Thank you media for pounding on this ad nauseam. I want... and NEED... my front line medical professionals to be unreservedly and absolutely protected in every possible way at all times.

There will be a lag time as all this gets accomplished of course. But it is now in motion.

2) In the news broadcast the HEAD GUY also said what was needed to be heard by people like me... the truth: 'Yes. It is probable there will be more cases arriving here and world wide because that is just what IS.'

"The first case of NRS turned out to merely be the first case of several."

I am not conflicted anymore. I am relaxed. My front line medical workers' complete training with full resources needed for their safety has become nationally recognized, with immediate action begun to expedite getting this done....... and yup, there are going to be more cases arriving.

I can work with that.

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:12 pm

MJOTZY, (ZS pg 1), Day SEVEN:
"I did have something good happen today. My brother drove by with his last trucking load before he permanently moves up to Mom and Dad’s place. While he was here he dropped off a bunch of canned goods from a run he made south of here. He also brought some stuff from Mom and Dad, like those home canned pears mom had made a couple of cases of for my birthday and some material and patterns from where she had been cleaning out her sewing room. She also sent me an old ceramic crock and some gallon-sized Ball jars. She also sent me some other stuff but I’m not going to list it out here. Too many odds and ends."
Stuff. This is the time in the current situation I feel, like Sissy, I should be pulling in 'stuff'. Stuff I do not normally keep around. And stuff I have no family that will be supplying me.

<head scratching thinking>

Ah. My grocery still uses plastic bags. They have a bag recycle barrel inside the store where people of bringing in plastic bags stuffed grocery bags to be recycled. This looked like 'stuff' to me.

My thinking: An extended protective bug in if contagion hits my area.... grocery bags are going to be valuable for myriad uses;
-supplemental foot, hand, head coverings to reduce use of trash bag supply purchased for those purposes. Make the supply last longer.
-bagging actual garbage. Trash bags. Which, in fact, I already use them for instead of purchasing garbage bags. And what if my supply dwindled or ran out because of extended isolating and/or the grocery is too dangerous to take a chance on contagion.
-cutting into thick strips to tie other bags in place over hands and feet.
-disposing of contaminated whatever.

More things like that.

So I told the customer service desk I need some bags and may I have a bunch from their open recycling barrel.

Yes, they did look at me like I'm nuts, but they also said yes.

I'm pretty sure I can stuff at least a thousand in one of these small uniform boxes I use for can storage. A couple or three of these added to my apartment wouldn't look out of place at all. Each box I use for storage is sealed in a mylar covering using those cheap emergency blankets. (I got that idea in my thread asking for advice to prepare for bedbugs that are hitting multi-housing units like mine around my area. The mylar has the added effect of being pretty too. Shiny!)

Which reminds me I need a good supply of yeast for bed bug traps if I'm in an extended bug in.

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:51 am

MJOTZY (ZS pg1), Sissy's Journal:
"No matter how much Scott and I have talked about it we still can’t figure out how this nightmare started."
Applying this to the protection our US front line nursing is experiencing, after I heard the Texas Nursing Union's report on the nightmare they are forced to work under for Ebola treatment I broke down and wept.

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:39 pm

MJOTZY, (ZS pg 4), Day EIGHTEEN

"Scott had brought home last night. He brought me cases of the cleaning supplies I had asked for, taking the last two cases of bleach off of the shelves at SAMs. He also picked up a bunch of batteries – regular and rechargeable, as well as three marine batteries that we could use to hook up to our solar panels. I got a case of light bulbs instead of the package that I asked for which I thought much have been Scott in a hurry and not thinking. But what the heck, we’ll eventually use them and better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them. There were a bunch of other odds and ends as well. He even remembered to pick up some socks and underwear for Johnnie and James which were badly needed.

"When I asked Scott why hadn’t he gotten the more important lumber for the false wall in the pantry he said he’d ordered it but he couldn’t pick it up until tomorrow when he picks up the rest of his order at Home Depot. They are rationing everything these days and only the fact that he paid cash up front kept it from taking over a week to take possession of the order.

"After I figured out where I was going to store everything temporarily, I had Sarah and Bekah start bringing me all of the #10 cans from our food storage. I quickly filled our queen-size box spring with roughly 125 #10-sized cans of dehydrated and freeze dried foods. Rose’s twin mattress was filled with about half that many

"James’ bed is a captain’s bed so there isn’t a box spring. Instead there is a platform that holds three drawers side-by-side. I had James take the drawers out and stuff as many rolls of toilet paper in there as he could while still being able to fit the drawers back in. He got over 36 rolls in there which I thought was pretty good.

"The girls normally sleep in a bunk bed as does Johnnie; no box springs there either. However the girls, Rose, and Johnnie have walk-in closets that have 10 foot ceiling in them. On one shelf in the top of the closets I put as many additional paper products as I could. At least if the paper stuff falls no one is going to get a concussion. Been there done that when that can of freeze dried strawberries came down on my head in the utility room. I’m lucky it was just a mild concussion and a couple of stitches. If it had been dried eggs or dried milk, I coulda lost my head all together.

"I spent the rest of the morning stuffing toilet paper, napkins, paper towels, feminine hygiene production, and all sorts of other paper products in all of the out-of-the-way places around the house as I could find."

Here's a new problem for me:
I have a friend, whom I do care about, who has no idea about how much prep storage I have secreted in my tiny tiny apartment, or that I am a closeted PREPPER, or that I am stepping up my prepping greatly right now, only knows about one small book case I don't have covered that has canned goods openly displayed. She and I have both been following the news with concern. Yesterday while talking I was cautiously mentioning this is the time it would be important to start buying extra things... and she said to me laughingly, if things got bad around here at the grocery stores she would just come live with me in my apartment.

ummm.... Now, after today's nightmare news her words become a Red Flag to me. Not necessarily for my food preps which I 'think' I could handle for two people for three months but I'm experiencing a lot of What If's.

-Her cat and all the things her cat would need for a bug in... including disposing measures of the cat box waste. I'm not prepared for this.
-Her medicines. She has no forward thinking meds stored. So she wouldn't 'stay' in the apartment. She would still be going out periodically 'get' herself resupplied. So that would mean.....
-disinfecting and PPE work arounds I'm getting in place. Certainly not enough for two at this time. And would she even follow my disinfection & PPE work arounds anyway?
-OTC meds. I'm still not fully prepared with my own med stock to last for months. I'm still working on this.

I'm not looking for advise on this because I already know what the advise will be. I'm just needing to write this here, like my own Journal of the Ebola years, because writing it down will be therapeutic for the stress which will possibly allow me to relax and come up with methods to encourage her do start her own prepping herself. At least for her medicines and her pet.

While typing this I just had a thought: I can couch my statements under C.E.R.T. directions as she has also attended several C.E.R.T. classes herself.

Yes. Okay. This will be my first tack on this Red Flag.

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:46 pm

Okay. My friend had every excuse why she 'couldn't' get extra cat food, litter, her meds, soap, laundry soap, bath soap, or bleach. She 'may' pick up extra grocery bags from recycle barrel... but I have my doubts. So there it is.

I 'think' I've almost recounted every food items but the dried fruit so know where my focus needs to be on things I'm short on.

I have a couple hundred plus actual trash bags in various sizes for PPE and disposal. Plus around a thousand squashed down grocery bags to supplement them.

Plus most of my cleaning/sanitizing needs.

I still need some more:
-pasta to stretch meals if it comes down to a bug in
-bleach
-ammonia
-vinegar
-deodorant
-OTC
-hydrogen peroxide
-wipes
-sanitizing wipes
for sure at this point. Not much but still.....

I'll go through my meds thoroughly in the next couple of days to see what's expired and what I need.

I am ever grateful to Kathy in FL for writing Mom's Journal of the Zombie Years for her play-by-play of what is needed, why it's needed, how to use it, in words I can understand at this point in my prepping education. Oh yeah, and how to stuff stuff everywhere to hide most of it because unless one really looked and asked lots of questions it is probable my preps would never be noticed in this tiny tiny apartment.

Snyper708

Post by Snyper708 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:05 pm

I have a couple hundred plus actual trash bags in various sizes for PPE and disposal. Plus around a thousand squashed down grocery bags to supplement them.
I'd only use grocery bags for disposal of NON hazardous materials
Most I've seen have holes in the bottom as a part of their design

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:30 pm

Thanks for that tip, Snyper708. Nice to meet you too. More tips are welcomed.

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:30 pm

MJOTZY, (ZS pg 3), Day THIRTEEN:

In other news we’ve learned that an area equal to a 100 mile circle around NYC has officially been quarantined. No one will be allowed to leave. Period. Whether they are NRS-positive is immaterial at this time.

God, Kathy in FL sure knew what she was writing about. This is getting scary again.

amber5499

Post by amber5499 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:40 pm

Thanks for an awesome thread Zombiepreparation! I too have learned a lot from mother hen's MJOTZY and her other stories as well. Sometimes you can find more details about things she only touches on in MJOTZY in her other stories. I have made a few of the recipes from her stories and have printed her recipe thread as well. One of the first recipes I made from that thread was the sour milk biscuits. They were a hit and it was awesome to use up the milk that went bad when we accidentally bought too much!
MJOTZY QUOTE: I tried to divide the remainder of the fresh milk between the kids at lunch but it had soured. At first I was angry about wasting what could have been used earlier, but then I decided to make a double batch of sour milk biscuits to go with dinner which made better use of the milk anyway. It was awful to see the last of the fresh milk gone, but it was inevitable.

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:20 pm

And once again I turn to "Mom's Journal of the Zombie Years". Flu in my area has gone from a few cases 2 1/2 weeks ago to WIDESPREAD and one death two days ago.

So I'm thinking that it's business as usual for the Thanksgiving gathering. People in tight quarters spending time with loved ones .... lots of hugs, lots of kisses.... and one person that was just coming down with symptoms has passed it all around.

Ah me.

Then Black Friday is the perfect vehicle to spread it wider. And we have those weeks we are getting the last minute shopping done, employees are becoming symptomatic, giving the gift that just keeps giving to the masses.

CDC and our state health officials are saying the vaccine shot we got is not a perfect match against the unexpected primary virus A, but it is doing a "pretty good job" of protecting against B and H1N1. And that those of us who have gotten a flu shot ... and gotten the flu too ... don't "seem" to have as severe symptoms.

Ah me. Must remember to focus on 'Glass Half Full'.

Some of our schools were reporting close to a quarter absenteeism before they let out for the Holiday break! The news says don't count on getting Tamiflu from the doctor. It has already begun to run out.

And here comes Christmas. Traditional parties and family gatherings, people in tight quarters, hugging and kissing. And BAM! The flu virus is the Biggest Christmas Gift Of The Season!

And then comes New Year's Eve.

Ah me.

So what would Sissy do?

Act like it's the Big One and go through the list again. Get that supply of everything I need for a bug-in.

By mid-afternoon today, Christmas Eve, I finished restocking. Have been masked and gloved when with the coughing hacking grey looking public in the stores. I get by with this by telling them *I* have a cold and am trying to not give it to *them*. Everybody seems to think that's swell! And aren't I nice to do this! And thank you!

I keep two single use grocery bags at my front door and step into them before I enter my apartment. (mini decontamination station) They sit bagged just inside the door. And stay bagged while I put them back on and until I walk out my door... not before. Only then the bags are removed.

Unless gloved my hands do not touch door knobs, elevator buttons, grocery carts, anything that the public uses to open, close, turn on, flush, etc. (My elbows actually get a good workout in this stuff all year round anyway. They are really trained. Very automatic, all but autonomic. LOL)

(don't read the following if you're squeamish........... in the grocery today I saw a clearly very ill Starbucks' employee making and serving coffee/tea drinks to a LINE of people... and a man in the produce section wipe his nose with his fingers, look at his fingers, and reach for some fruit with those same fingers. GAG)

But after Christmas Day I will SEMI bug-in except in emergencies or stuff. Outside is okay, outside passing people & and having even long conversations with them as I stand apart from them is okay, inside anywhere I can think of right now that is not my apartment is risky.

Presents all delivered. Gad all these present exchanges giving that little extra seasonal Gift. I'm settling in for increased computer communication with those I care about and for entertaining myself with everything I want to learn something about. Hell, I can even go to Khan Academy, and take a free online university permaculture course. And get hacked. oooo computer death by virus.

Resigning self to telephone calling instead of going to THOSE THREE MOVIES I WANT TO SEE THAT ARE RELEASED CHRISTMAS DAY! (talk about your vehicle for spreading the flu even wider. On his tombstone was written: "My computer was killed by a virus then I went to a movie and the movie killed 'me' with a virus" :lol:)

-Am declining invitations now. (with regret too because I LOVE parties, crowds of people, gatherings, socializing with just one friend or family member)
-Am remembering the several hundred movies and TV shows I have on DVD. (I am prepared, babies, as long as the electrics don't fail me)
-Planning (not really 'planning') which books I have that can be enjoyable and mentally stimulating.
-Have VOWED to take my vitamins every day through March.
-Have organized my drawing supplies. I have actually been away from sketching and drawing way too long anyway.
-Have reminded myself of the solo projects I enjoy and can return to which I have also been putting aside because playing with my friends and family is so much fun.
-Trying to get myself to commit to going outside and walking around the neighborhood every day for fresh air and exercise.

Could also do some house cleaning. Can't see a lot of that happening though. But maybe.

And browsing "Mom's Journal of the Zombie Years" again.

Thank you, Kathy in Florida. You are a goooood teacher!

So I think I've done my best to prepare for avoidance and normal protection (all that hand washing and stuff), and even with all of that I'm very intimate friends with pneumonia, colds, & flu :lol: . Several times each decade in fact. Even with pneumonia & flu shots. Reallllly poor immune system. But I 'think' I'm pretty prepared if(when) I do get the flu.... again. :clap:

Anyway, I love being prepared. Besides all the logic in it I absolutely think it is Great Fun too!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all you who celebrate this season in one way or another!!!
Last edited by zombiepreparation on Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:37 am

Alrighty then, the entire C-Day has ended. Final outing in enclosed places with others accomplished. Only one person noticeably symptomatic said they felt like they were coming down with something. The rest of the coughers and nose blowers said they have allergies. Because I've learned to ask in an empathetic way: "Oh, poor thing, do you have a cold?"

With the one 'coming down with something' I activated my radar to keep track of where she was all the time, what she was touching, sitting, everything. Peripheral vision very useful and unnoticed. I've been practicing this stuff for years :lol: You have to if you get sick a lot, you just learn methods. And I still have smiles and short(er) conversations with her when we're across the room or through doorways when we were in different rooms so she never thought I was avoiding her. When all the goodbyes were going on I'm just in the back of the group waving and saying goodbye with a big smile, then I 'remember' something I need to do in another room 'till she's out the door. And remember who she hugged and do the same with them when the time comes.

I was able to do a reasonable job of maintaining a good 15 foot distance between us all day. Casually moving as she did, and noting where (and who) she had touched. So I was peaceful, doing what I could w/out being noticed. Radar. And a lot of hand washing w/out being noticed. :D

Came home, bagged my shoes at the door, and immediately bagged all the clothing I'd worn, then showered.

Now I start my calendar watch for the aprox 36 hour virus gestation period to see if I brought a surprise home with me.

And one more trip to the grocery tomorrow early before it get full of shoppers. I'd forgotten several things from my list:
-ORT supplies
-cotton balls
-OTC medicines (fever, infection, general stuff)
-L-Lysine

And as far as anyone knows 'I'm sorry, I have made other plans' for the rest of the invitations as they keep coming in. Just get through New Year's Day and all the gathering naturally drop off drastically anyway as everybody begins their own recovering from over a month of consuming, imbibing, spending, and 'they' just want to stay home. LOLOLOL January is typically a slowww month for socializing.

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:32 pm

And then I stop paying attention. It was too easy. Not 'hearing' much coughing gave me a sense of 'awe, everything's alright'. Also haven't kept up with news.

Around noon today I sort of began coughing. Blew it off. I have been cold all day too. Didn't think about how unusual it is for me to be cold even in winter.

Tonight I'm coughing. Feeling rugged.

And just talked to friend I'd spent an enjoyable four or five hours with Sunday night. Who, you know, just told me he's been ill since early the following morning.

Now let's count that back shall we: noon to last night late is aprox 13 hours. And twenty-four hours earlier I had been eating, laughing, talking, watching a movie, spending hours with my friend who now tells me he woke up coughing the next morning. Becoming feverish as the morning wore on.

So 24 + 13? Well, whadda ya know; 37 hours. Right there at the magic window.

I see I am my own worst enemy.

Like Sissy. Even though she 'knows' on the one hand, on the other hand she really wants to get out and about that day:
Page 1, Day Six
"I really wanted to get out today but between one thing and another it’s a good thing I didn’t. A real good thing. Scott was sick and irritable for one thing. But for another, about an hour before I had planned to slip out of the house they closed US41."

Now where she did not do what she knew was iffy..... I went ahead and quite literally 'forgot' things could be iffy if I spent time in small spaces with people.

And since I wasn't paying attention to the news I didn't realized we have multiple hospitals having to divert patients because their emergency rooms are staying full of people with flu symptoms. High risk and trauma patients are being diverted or moved when possible because of the main hospital is at high risk for them also getting the flu.... from being a patient at those hospitals.

Words like brutal and unprecedented are being used in our news here.

<head slap>

But, you know, I had stopped paying attention.

<cough, cough>

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:26 pm

Neither my friend nor I have experienced symptoms worse than a strong cold virus presents.

:clap:

When you're not paying attention it helps to have luck on your side.

I've been using my Sissy inspired medicines... meaning STORE ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING I GET HOLD OF THAT 'MIGHT' HAVE EVEN THE POSSIBILITY OF REDUCING ILLNESS AND INJURY.

Since my fever stayed low, within what I consider the antibody production level, I have not dipped to dip into my supplies of OTC fever reducers. Also, the fever has been gone since I woke today and no increased respiratory distress.

Have increased humidity a bit in my apartment and increased water intake and teas I have a good stores of that I've relied on in the past during illness.
Sissy:
"nothing to sneeze at, but its only going to last if I’m as careful as I can be with what we have."

The teas either help or comfort, not sure. But I fully support the placebo effect if that's all they have ever done. And hope for anything medicinal they might be touted for. I'll save the proven OTC for more urgent need.

My friend is not even attempting to minimize spreading his cold. He's like 'if anyone is meant to get it they will, if not they won't'. NEW YEAR'S EVE! PARTY DOWN! :lol: (I love getting my party on.)

However,

Yesterday our news said we have crossed into epidemic here. Hospitals reporting 2 to 2 /12 normal numbers of emergency & in hospital flu cases. The overwhelming majority testing H3N2. The hospitals are currently in discussion regarding capacity level actions.

Sissy:
"I’m trying to give my family “normal” for as long as I can. I have a nasty feeling we are going to be living abnormal in the not too distant future and for who knows how long after that."

So, thinking again on an active interesting mentally challenging 'new' normal semi bug-in for the time being. And concentrate on getting OUT of this apartment EVERY day for exercise in fresh air and stave off cabin fever. And be active with lots of telephone calls, texts, and emails to not feel isolated.

Have also ordered another three month supply of two things I just noticed I were down to a one month supply.

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:01 pm

Sissy:
"Another day of no new information. Well, no news is good news I guess."

Our 'latest' news on this flu is now two days ago. Like Sissy I'm taking this as good news.

Sissy:
"at this time is I’m glad that Scott and I have our crap together already. I’ve heard that the gas stations and grocery stores are a nightmare despite the fact that no one is supposed to be doing any unnecessary traveling."

At this time I am having a similar feeling; glad I joined ZS a few years back and with guidance found in ZS slowly learned how to 'begin' storing/prepping. Especially on my below poverty level income. So by the time this probably small event bad flu season rolled around I wasn't starting from scratch when it began. Which, as I keep being taught here and in Mom's Journal of the Zombie Years, getting my "crap together" 'before' it is needed is the way to go about it. :lol:

Got out in the fresh air today, stopped by grocery to get milk. Somewhere distribution must be having production or delivery problems. There were lots of empty shelves where the milk is suppose to be.

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:59 am

I continue to feel ill for 10 days now. This is so annoying. Caught friend's virus which now seems to have moved into a sinus infection. Had a headache for about four days now and headaches are entirely rare for me. If I have a headache for days I'll give OTC meds a chance. If the OTC does nothing with one or two doses then I know I'm either running a low grade fever.... or it is a sinus infection again.

So today I've pulled out my secret Sissy med stash to see if I can weather this myself. The doctor offices are reported to be staying full around here most of the time with flu symptoms which I really would like to avoid.

Part of my Sissy medicine chest:
-unfiltered honey
-unfiltered apple cider vinegar
-cayenne pepper
-powered green food
-homemade powered spinach & parsley
-cinnamon
-Echinacea Plus tea
-horse radish
-green tea
-black elderberry extract
-canned tomatoes & jalapenos w added onions
-L-Lysine

Kettle kept filled with heated water all day. A small pot on the stove keeps the tomatoes/jalapenos/onions simmering all day. Timer on watch set to alarm every 60 minutes during the main part of the day.

After that it's just:
Timer buzzes, I go throw some bits of combination of the above items in a little half pint jar, add hot water to anything that isn't the tom/jalap/onion soup pot.

And breathe it and consume.

After doing these little bits for many hours today my headache 'seems' to be gone, I have been breathing easily through both nostrils for the last few hours, and the sore to the touch places above and below my eyes has almost disappeared.

Which is a very noticeable change since I've had a stuffy runny nose since catching the virus 10 days ago and a headache and tinder sinus area above & below my eyes for at least four days now. Which is why I figured I started with a cold and ended with a sinus infection.

(Each mix is an experiment. And I have to be careful drinking the vinegar drinks because vinegar dissolves tooth enamel.)

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:32 pm

zombiepreparation wrote:BATHROOM TISSUE
If I had to bug in for an extended period until a pandemic Event passed (months? a year?) I do NOT have enough bathroom tissue! Not even a full month's supply on hand right now.
I have improved on that. In this tiny apartment I live in I now have four months worth of stored B-Tissue!
zombiepreparation wrote:MJOTZY (ZS pg 3) Day Thirteen:
"cleaned the little bit of blood I had missed in Scott’s van. I had cleaned that up yesterday but I used rubber gloves and plenty of bleach"

I'm glad I'm reviewing. I have been getting lax because I have about the same amount of bleach as I do bathroom tissue... all but none.
The bleach thing too. I now keep a six gallon storage (tiny apartment) I rotate out.
zombiepreparation wrote:MJofZY (ZS pg 1) Day One:
"No one is being allowed to pass without at least two pieces of up-to-date identification, one of which has to be a picture ID."

I admit I have gotten lax in this over the last year. My important papers are all over the apartment now.

Two forms of ID. In one of the "What I Learned From ['some' hurricane]" threads the person talking speaks directly to that and how things could have gone so much smoother during his evacuation time out of state ... if he had only had all of his ID with him.

Waited 'till the last minute, under stress, left home without it not knowing that he couldn't return to his home for weeks, that he would need more money than he took with him, could have gotten a temporary job while he was displaced to 'get' money.... except he didn't have the right kind of ID to get anyone to hire him.
hrumph. I have Not improve that at all. Note to self.....
zombiepreparation wrote:Worth a good look:
One woman saves three Ebola patients using improvised Hazmat Suits out of trash bags.
Right. I can afford reasonably sturdy trash bags in bulk. I've priced those pre-made protective gear things I 'want'.. BUT I CANNOT AFFORD THEM. And I am probably low risk for being a caregiver during a pandemic. Probably. But I 'can' afford a bunch of bulk sturdy trask bags.

What would I do for the gown part though?
I must look into this.
I have greatly improved here. I now keep stored as preps around 325 grocery bags and 150 plastic newspaper sleeves flattened and compressed in a five gallon Ziplock that stores (and can easily go) anywhere I want it to. (And will hold another 400 if/when I decide to keep more in my long term preps) Grocery bags for foot, hand, & hair coverings if needed. As well as discarding/confining contaminated things. The newspaper sleeves fit up my arms over clothing or bare arm to just above the elbow for arm covering protection in contamination scenarios.

I have a small supply (now-I 'had' more) of plastic leaf bags that I thought could work as a type of gown; one worn from waist down that goes to right at my ankles, a second one from neck to just above knees using head and arm holes.

Ever

Post by Ever » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:46 pm

Ah hah. I knew I was talking about and training for this pandemic many years ago.

Last edited by Ever on Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ever, previously known here as 'zombiepreparation'
Member since October 2011

Thank you ZombieSquad for everything!

Thank you Members of ZS here & around the globe who helped me/us prepare for surviving the Pandemic of 2020-2021, & stayed to talk as we went thru it.

zombie hunters are being sighted gathering around campfires at ufozs.com

Ever

Post by Ever » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:03 pm

zombiepreparation wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:32 pm
zombiepreparation wrote:BATHROOM TISSUE
If I had to bug in for an extended period until a pandemic Event passed (months? a year?) I do NOT have enough bathroom tissue!
I have improved on that. In this tiny apartment I live in I now have four months worth of stored B-Tissue!
zombiepreparation wrote:MJofZY (ZS pg 1) Day One:
"No one is being allowed to pass without at least two pieces of up-to-date identification, one of which has to be a picture ID."

I admit I have gotten lax in this over the last year. My important papers are all over the apartment now.

Two forms of ID. In one of the "What I Learned From ['some' hurricane]" threads the person talking speaks directly to that and how things could have gone so much smoother during his evacuation time out of state ... if he had only had all of his ID with him.

Waited 'till the last minute, under stress, left home without it not knowing that he couldn't return to his home for weeks, that he would need more money than he took with him, could have gotten a temporary job while he was displaced to 'get' money.... except he didn't have the right kind of ID to get anyone to hire him.
zombiepreparation wrote:Worth a good look:
One woman saves three Ebola patients using improvised Hazmat Suits out of trash bags.
Right. I can afford reasonably sturdy trash bags in bulk. I've priced those pre-made protective gear things I 'want'.. BUT I CANNOT AFFORD THEM. And I am probably low risk for being a caregiver during a pandemic. Probably. But I 'can' afford a bunch of bulk sturdy trask bags.

What would I do for the gown part though?
I must look into this.
I have greatly improved here. I now keep stored as preps around 325 grocery bags and 150 plastic newspaper sleeves flattened and compressed in a five gallon Ziplock that stores (and can easily go) anywhere I want it to. (And will hold another 400 if/when I decide to keep more in my long term preps) Grocery bags for foot, hand, & hair coverings if needed. As well as discarding/confining contaminated things. The newspaper sleeves fit up my arms over clothing or bare arm to just above the elbow for arm covering protection in contamination scenarios.
I still had those bags stored when the 2020 pandemic hit! And I used them! I used the sleeve bags early on, even the shoe grocery bags a couple of time when we were in serious lockdown with tenants here sick, some dieing, and I had to take out the trash and pick up mail late late at night after the rest of the building had been down for hours.

And I had ordered clear 55 gallon bags for the gown.... just in case.

MEMORIES!!

Last edited by Ever on Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thank you Members of ZS here & around the globe who helped me/us prepare for surviving the Pandemic of 2020-2021, & stayed to talk as we went thru it.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:23 pm

zombiepreparation wrote:
Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:30 pm
For me, 'Mom's Journal of the Zombie Years' is the best schooling on preparation I have yet to find on a pandemic Event. (you know, like the one going on right now... that has just crossed the ocean and made it to another continent)
You know, I read this and had to triple-check the date you posted it!

Good work Ever (aka zombiepreparation), you were 6 years ahead of the curve. And good work Kathy, too.
ZS forum member, Aug 2007-Jun 2021

Member, ZSC:010 - UK Chapter (gone but not forgotten!)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.
Now contributing at https://www.ufozs.com/

Ever

Post by Ever » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:35 am

sheddi wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:23 pm
zombiepreparation wrote:
Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:30 pm
For me, 'Mom's Journal of the Zombie Years' is the best schooling on preparation I have yet to find on a pandemic Event. (you know, like the one going on right now... that has just crossed the ocean and made it to another continent)
You know, I read this and had to triple-check the date you posted it!

Good work Ever (aka zombiepreparation), you were 6 years ahead of the curve. And good work Kathy, too.
:)

Now I'm puzzling over these water shortages being reported here & there in the US already. Plus summer heat is just beginning so I anticipate more to come. Maybe even here.

Which once again turned my mind back to MJotZY to go back for a refresher on how she was planning for breaks in water utility service.

Swimming pool and bathtub she used are out since I have neither. So would the big 55 gallon blatter(s?) she used.

My apartment is currently comically full of food and necessities preps for at least close to a year. So increasing water preps is 'you've gotta be kidding' for me.

But "What if....?"

I do have almost three weeks of drinking water in glass bottles and maybe if I stretch it a week of potable sitting in two liter plastic bottles that bleeds into the water for cooking, cleaning, and hygiene. Plus the ubiquitous gallon jugs available for flushing the toilet.

But, you know the US at this time: pandemic still rolling around, our massive fires raging, drought affecting water supply in Iowa down to (their words) getting scary levels, some crop failures are looking to be a given, ongoing hacking disrupting food and gas supplies, so it's only typical for the times here that water shortages have to get on my prep list and inside this already packed apartment.

🤔

Yep

What would MJotZY do? How would Sissy do it?

btw, I found another link to the story, now renamed 'Journal of the Zombie Years' on writer's board. And without any comments interrupting the narrative.
www.fanfiction.net/s/11759047/1/Journal ... mbie-Years

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”