Zombie Glasses?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Red_Snow
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead (Who can't enjoy the zombie fish?)

Re: Zombie Glasses?

Post by Red_Snow » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:08 pm

Anyone know a good place to order Z87 certified safety glasses? I've found a couple through google but haven't found anyone with firsthand experience.

http://www.safevision.net/catalog.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.rx-safety.com/store/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Our world is on the verge of a temporal displacement, and it will be humanity that falls victim to the repercussions. The few humans remaining desperately search for answers to their infinitesimal existence.

Nycene

Post by Nycene » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:31 pm

I have been four eyed since I was in grade 1. my vision without glasses is craptastic. I always keep my last pair of old glasses, just in case - even in a non emergency situation, being blind is annoying and after awhile, headache inducing. in my case anyway, the old Rx is better than no glasses at all.
"If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it's still a foolish thing."
Bertrand Russell

Zdigger

Post by Zdigger » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:27 pm

I posted one of my first "Thank you Zombie Squad" stories about extra glasses in my BOB. While with my wife and boys, my boy thought it would be fun to see if daddies glasses would bounce on the stone ground, and they didn't. Well instead of spending the rest of the day blind or having to have the wife drive me home for extra glasses. I tore into my BOB and pulled out my spares (old military) and slapped them one and poof I had vision again. I never throw out my old glasses, I would rather slightly blind (a older prescription) than totally blind where everyone looks like a furry tribble.

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:08 pm

Necro alert. Didn't really fit elsewhere, and not worthy of a new thread, just a tidbit of info regarding old contact lenses someone may find useful.

A situation presented itself yesterday where I didn't want to wear my prescription glasses, but did want to see clearly. I'd tried contact lenses for my astigmatism about 12 years ago but didn't care much for them, too much trouble and cost when I usually only wear them when driving, but I still had a few pairs (factory sealed) left over from then.

10 years expired but they worked fine with no differences noted. Left them in all day yesterday, and eyes look and feel fine today. May have to pick up a few more for emergencies now that I know they last this long.

echo83

Post by echo83 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:21 am

CrossCut wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:08 pm
Necro alert. Didn't really fit elsewhere, and not worthy of a new thread, just a tidbit of info regarding old contact lenses someone may find useful.

A situation presented itself yesterday where I didn't want to wear my prescription glasses, but did want to see clearly. I'd tried contact lenses for my astigmatism about 12 years ago but didn't care much for them, too much trouble and cost when I usually only wear them when driving, but I still had a few pairs (factory sealed) left over from then.

10 years expired but they worked fine with no differences noted. Left them in all day yesterday, and eyes look and feel fine today. May have to pick up a few more for emergencies now that I know they last this long.
I've had a similar situation: I wear monthly lenses for far longer than I should, but I only wear them at work, and Immediately replace them with glasses when I got home, so I think that's why my contacts can be worn longer.

Are the 10 year expired lenses that you used monthlies or dailies? And how did you store them?

Back on topic, I have used Zenni and they work fine. Really economical, too.

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:14 am

These are bi-weekly (every 2 week) ones. Nothing special about the storage, the sealed lense packets were stored in the bathroom cupboard inside a ziplock bag and never exposed to freezing or excessively warm temps. I did have them inside the original cardboard box so they stayed upright.

rpc

Post by rpc » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:32 am

I realize this is an old thread, but in a post-apocalyptic situation where you needed glasses, you can make a pair of pinhole glasses, which might help some people:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinhole_glasses

Lettuce Pray
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland
Location: 40th and Plumb-- 40 miles from nowhere and plumb out of sight

Post by Lettuce Pray » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:30 pm

Thanks for resurrecting this thread Crosscut. I can't believe that I didn't read it years ago.
I have worn glasses since adolescence. For the last 15+ years, my prescription hasn't changed much. If the ZPAW happened, I would put on a set of Revisions eyepro with inserts that Uncle Sam gave me years ago. My backup on-body set would probably be BCGs since I wouldn't care about looks. Like others, I keep several pairs of old glasses around including in every vehicle.

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:54 pm

Lettuce Pray wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:30 pm
Thanks for resurrecting this thread Crosscut. I can't believe that I didn't read it years ago.
I have worn glasses since adolescence. For the last 15+ years, my prescription hasn't changed much. If the ZPAW happened, I would put on a set of Revisions eyepro with inserts that Uncle Sam gave me years ago. My backup on-body set would probably be BCGs since I wouldn't care about looks. Like others, I keep several pairs of old glasses around including in every vehicle.
Thought about LASIK? If your prescription's been that stable, might be a good option.

Lettuce Pray
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland
Location: 40th and Plumb-- 40 miles from nowhere and plumb out of sight

Post by Lettuce Pray » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:07 pm

boskone wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:54 pm
Lettuce Pray wrote:
Thought about LASIK? If your prescription's been that stable, might be a good option.
I have absolutely thought about it. I would love to get it but am still a little scared right now. I know that it is a highly successful procedure and problems hardly ever happen. But if they did it could be really bad for my family.

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:32 pm

Lettuce Pray wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:07 pm
boskone wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:54 pm
Lettuce Pray wrote:
I have absolutely thought about it. I would love to get it but am still a little scared right now. I know that it is a highly successful procedure and problems hardly ever happen. But if they did it could be really bad for my family.
One of my coworkers had his eyes done one at a time. He had the worse eye done first, then when it was healed did the other.

I keep meaning to ask my opto about it. I've had nearly exactly the same prescription for 20-odd years, but contacts bother me so little that I only ever think of it when I'm putting 'em in or taking 'em out.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:31 pm

Mine change too often to be a good candidate. :(
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:30 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:31 pm
Mine change too often to be a good candidate. :(
I probably should have posted my last comment in CHAT here, instead.

My prescription's been +/-0 0.25 for the last twenty-odd years. However, I'm old enough I'd probably end up needing glasses again in a few years anyway. Oops.

Going to get a years' supply of contacts on vision insurance, but turns out I can put some glasses on my health insurance. (Apparently my health will pay for glasses, but not contacts or the actual exam. Seems weird to me.)

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:25 am

I don't wear glasses but half my immediate family do (and a bigger fraction of the extended fam).

If you're in the UK (and I realise that's a big "if"!) there's an offer on currently with Glasses Direct where you can get two pairs, delivered, for £14 (about US$20):

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals ... ect/#53371

In essence it's a combination deal:
- 2-for-1 on £49 frames with free basic lenses; then
- £35 discount with the code MSEAPRIL

https://www.glassesdirect.co.uk/popular ... 1-from-49/
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
Grid tie solar PV in southern England
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”