General Fitness Discussion thread

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

spyderco monkey
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: General Fitness Discussion thread

Post by spyderco monkey » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:56 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
feedthedog wrote: Any suggestions on equipment? I broke one of those doorframe pull-up bars, don't want to start a gym membership, and i need a way to do pullups, or at least simulate them.
As far as rings go, I've been super pleased with the wood olympic rings from Fringesport. They have awesome customer service too, and free shipping.
http://www.fringesport.com/collections/ ... stic-rings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I got into the best shape of my life in 50 days using them, they're much more effective than regular exercise due to the instability. For example, 4 Ring dips is about as hard as 15 regular dips when you first start off, and pullups are much nicer on your joints due to the range of movement. They also let you do lots of exercise variations you couldn't do as well with just a bar:

The straps are 17' long, so you can mount them on trees, staircases, playground structures, etc.

Also, get "Overcoming Gravity," its the single best book out there on bodyweight exercise, and training in general. I have read over 100 books on fitness (I got obsessed) and the level of detail, data, and exercise variation in OG blows them all out of the water. It even has its own subreddit.
http://www.amazon.com/Overcoming-Gravit ... 1467933120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zombie309
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zombie309 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:44 pm

phil_in_cs wrote:
Zombie309 wrote:
Bubba Enfield wrote:
Zombie309 wrote:There's no way he's talking about strict, those are definitely kipping pull ups.
Please, go to C'n'P and leave a comment that says Jamie does kipping pullups. Please. The lulz will be legendary.
Why?
Because his hate for those is legendary as they destroy your shoulders. He can do sets of 15 pullups as often as he'd like; 300 is a bunch of sets.
Good for him, I'm working on getting there myself.
Check out my book, Zombies Across the Border, in the Fiction section and let me know what you think!

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:46 pm

Bought me a stationary bike today. Woot woot, better Cardio here I come!
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

Zombie309
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zombie309 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:51 pm

Started rucking again, gonna get my swim game back on point as well. Thinking about trying out for a pretty elite Search and Rescue Team next year (BORSTAR) and I need to be ready for it.
Check out my book, Zombies Across the Border, in the Fiction section and let me know what you think!

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:34 am

Since I got the stationary cycle last week, I've been slowly ramping up to getting back into a full half hour spin 3 days a week. Knocked out my first full 30 minutes this morning, woot! now the fun can really begin.
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

Zombie309
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zombie309 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:48 am

So M/W/F are my heavy lifting days, T/Th/Sa are my Brazilian Jiu Jitsu days and now I started running the 100 pushups/200 situps/20 pull ups programs after that. I'm sore all the time but my physique has never looked better and I'm performing like a monster on the mats.

Now if only beer would stop being so delicious.

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:32 pm

Rarely post anymore around here but brief update fitness wise.

Gained a couple of lbs currently sitting at 176lbs

Took my squat past 300lbs

Deadlift which has been problematic for me is also now looking a lot better at 2x bodyweight (352lbs)

Bench is lagging but I have long arms :clownshoes:

I've started adding in a little bit of low stress running on off days and am tweaking my nutrition to reflect that. Have been reading Alex Viada's stuff, not that I have desires to do what he does (700lb squats and triathlons)

https://www.atlargenutrition.com/blog/2 ... be-strong/
https://www.atlargenutrition.com/blog/2 ... nt-to-run/

He has an interesting AMA on reddit as well http://www.reddit.com/r/AdvancedFitness ... viada_ama/

Now my lifts have come up to be beginner respectable I'm starting to add cardio conditioning back, have got myself a sledgehammer to make it more interesting as well.
Man is a beast of prey

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:04 pm

Spent 4.5 hrs in ER on IV and EKG.

Still worked out for a hours. Just weights though.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Doryman

Post by Doryman » Fri May 02, 2014 11:39 am

Good to see some Chaos and Pain love on this thread!

CNP admits that most of his asshole schtick is for entertainment value, and he has a hell of a lot of good information in his posts. That might rub some people the wrong way, but it's a welcome change from most other writing on lifting. Honestly, a lot of strength and conditioning articles read like Xerox manuals. I want some colorful language and tittays with my bro-science!

So, my current training schedule runs thusly:

Mon/Wednesday/Fri Weightlifting

Workout A:
Low bar Squats (heavy) 5x5
Bench 5x5
High Bar Squats (lighter) 4x10
Incline Bench 5x5
Misc. Assistance work

Workout B"
Deadlifts 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Barbell rows 8x5
One-handed press thingy... (I put a barbell in a sleeve +hinge thingy, load one side, press loaded side on angle with one hand)

Like this, only pressing one-handed instead of rotating. http://www.menshealth.com/powertraining ... Torque.php

Tues//Thurs/Sat

Judo, 1.5 hrs. Hard sparring dojo.

Now, I'm taking steps to start a membership at a boxing gym, which will allow me to take a boxing Technique and Conditioning class on Mon/Wed/Fri.

So, questions to all the fitness gurus here. Do you think I need to add more cardio, or will I get enough from the Boxing + Judo?
That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

-George Orwell

Doryman

Post by Doryman » Sun May 04, 2014 10:46 am

Just wondering... does anyone think it would be a good idea to have a dedicated Strength and Condition/ Physical Training forum?Something where folks could focus on discussing weightlifting, martial arts training, diet tweaks, etc. and how physical improvement can help with survival.

It seems that a lot of people tend to discuss these subjects anyway, but they're all over the place, from this thread to various martial arts threads to impromptu off-topic arguments within other threads.

Personally, I believe physical fitness is one of the major weak points in the Preparedness community (alongside financial unpreparedness.) A forum based on that might help motivate some people to round off their skill sets, and keep all of us in check.

Any mods on board? Am I right out to lunch?
That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

-George Orwell

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Sun May 04, 2014 11:40 am

Doryman wrote:Good to see some Chaos and Pain love on this thread!

CNP admits that most of his asshole schtick is for entertainment value, and he has a hell of a lot of good information in his posts. That might rub some people the wrong way, but it's a welcome change from most other writing on lifting. Honestly, a lot of strength and conditioning articles read like Xerox manuals. I want some colorful language and tittays with my bro-science!

So, my current training schedule runs thusly:

Mon/Wednesday/Fri Weightlifting

Workout A:
Low bar Squats (heavy) 5x5
Bench 5x5
High Bar Squats (lighter) 4x10
Incline Bench 5x5
Misc. Assistance work

Workout B"
Deadlifts 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Barbell rows 8x5
One-handed press thingy... (I put a barbell in a sleeve +hinge thingy, load one side, press loaded side on angle with one hand)

Like this, only pressing one-handed instead of rotating. http://www.menshealth.com/powertraining ... Torque.php

Tues//Thurs/Sat

Judo, 1.5 hrs. Hard sparring dojo.

Now, I'm taking steps to start a membership at a boxing gym, which will allow me to take a boxing Technique and Conditioning class on Mon/Wed/Fri.

So, questions to all the fitness gurus here. Do you think I need to add more cardio, or will I get enough from the Boxing + Judo?
As I recall, the exercise that you had trouble naming is the "landmine press".

That seems like a bit too much total work to me. I know that my body would be pretty run down trying to keep up with that schedule. Your body may be different. Like you, I'm into fighting and weights, but I've found the best luck alternating the intensity of the fightng/ lifting. One month may be fighting for 3-4 hours a week and lifting 5-6 hours per week. The next month I'd switch.

The CNP dude is apparently impervious to over training as well. The threshold seems to be different for everyone, but I do know that men is pretty low.

Good luck boxing, it's a lot of fun.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sun May 04, 2014 12:37 pm

This seems like a good a place as any to talk about a recent fitness-related achievement. I ran a marathon.

It started when this new coworker of mine mentioned that she was toying with the idea of running another one. She had run a few before. This was back in September or so. So I said, "What the hell, let's do it!" I was on this kick of doing things just because I'd never done them before. Still am, really. So I registered. Once I was in, that got her off the fence, and we started training.

We both live in Flagstaff, at 7,000 feet, so that's where we trained. We started by running a 2 mile loop at a nice area called Buffalo Park. It's a dirt trail through meadows and Ponderosa forest. Mostly flat, with a slight dip followed by a small hill at the end. When we started I was still getting used to the elevation. I could run maybe 100 yards before I'd get winded and have to slow to a walk. My colleague was a much stronger runner and would easily keep up with me. As we improved she started leaving me behind. But I improved too. Eventually I got to the point where I could run (slowly, more like a jog) a whole mile without walking.

Meanwhile, I emailed Utilikilts with a poem, begging them to make me an athletic kilt, and old model called the Spartan (not to be confused with the new kilt of that name.) I had gone to all-kilt, all-the-time, since moving to Flagstaff. No pants ever. I discovered that my 5.11 Tactical TDK kilts were actually better than any of my Utilikilts for running: lighter, less fabric, removable pockets. But I wanted an Athletic Utilikilt, and to my surprise, they wrote back and agreed to do it!

I continued training. I set goals (like "1 mile longer each week") and constantly fell short of them. Eventually, though, I could run a whole 2 mile lap non-stop. Then a bit more. Eventually we started meeting in town, running to the park, doing the lap, and running back. That was 6 miles. I was still walking a lot of the return trip. Eventually she trained up to 20 miles. The longest I did was 10, and walked the second half of that. I was trusting the elevation of my training to condition my lungs; the marathon was in Phoenix.

Here's something you may not know about Marathon runners. They think about pooping, way more than normal. Something about running a long distance makes you poop. So we were worried about that. I definitely pooped during my morning training runs once they got to 10 milesnor so. On the course itself, you've got port-a-potties every mile, but if that storm comes on too fast...

We drove down and got a hotel. Dinner was a plain pasta with chicken, hopefully intended to sort of plug up our butts so we would poop in a more predictable manner. Oh, here's another thing they don't tell you about Marathons: you have to put duct tape on your nipples or the chafing from your shirt makes them bleed.

Anyway, I did it. 5:18. Didn't shit myself. Felt awesome.

Doryman

Post by Doryman » Sun May 04, 2014 1:45 pm

[quote="feedthedog]As I recall, the exercise that you had trouble naming is the "landmine press".

That seems like a bit too much total work to me. I know that my body would be pretty run down trying to keep up with that schedule. Your body may be different. Like you, I'm into fighting and weights, but I've found the best luck alternating the intensity of the fightng/ lifting. One month may be fighting for 3-4 hours a week and lifting 5-6 hours per week. The next month I'd switch.

The CNP dude is apparently impervious to over training as well. The threshold seems to be different for everyone, but I do know that men is pretty low.

Good luck boxing, it's a lot of fun.[/quote]

Yeah, maybe I'll dial back the lifting to twice a week to see how it feels. I'm also funemployed at the moment, so I have a lot of time to rest and train. We'll see how this holds up when I'm back to work.

Jeriah,

Congratulations, man! I am jealous of your accomplishment but not of your battered feet.

-George Orwell

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Sun May 04, 2014 3:38 pm

Doryman wrote:Just wondering... does anyone think it would be a good idea to have a dedicated Strength and Condition/ Physical Training forum?Something where folks could focus on discussing weightlifting, martial arts training, diet tweaks, etc. and how physical improvement can help with survival.

It seems that a lot of people tend to discuss these subjects anyway, but they're all over the place, from this thread to various martial arts threads to impromptu off-topic arguments within other threads.

Personally, I believe physical fitness is one of the major weak points in the Preparedness community (alongside financial unpreparedness.) A forum based on that might help motivate some people to round off their skill sets, and keep all of us in check.

Any mods on board? Am I right out to lunch?
Whilst I agree with all of what you say a dedicated forum isn't likely to happen.

To be honest most information can be found out by either reading existing threads, finding other fitness focused forums and reading them.

I'm always happy to see this thread have life in it.
Man is a beast of prey

Bubba Enfield
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 Days later, Dawn'78, The Horde

Post by Bubba Enfield » Mon May 05, 2014 9:14 am

Jeriah, that's awesome! Quite an accomplishment indeed. If you don't mind, I'd like to hear a bit about your mental processes during your 5-hour journey.

As for the subforum idea, I would love it but doubt there would be enough posting to justify it. There's General Fitness Discussion, as well as Workout of the Day, and there's a sticky in Firearms Training, and I think the Self-Defense training thread is in Personal Experiences (could be wrong). I always read new posts in these threads, and contribute when I think I can, or just to bump the thread. This particular thread would be a great place for folks to share other net resources they've found that pertain to health/fitness in a disaster preparedness context. There's already been some of that, and I'd always like to see more.

Off to bump the WOTD thread.

Edit: I think the best move would be to sticky this thread. Easier to find, and more visible therefore reminding people of the importance of physical self-improvement.
Prioritize your health. Get out of debt. Grow food.

vosburg
Favorite Zombie Movies: World War Z, Zombieland and the TV show The walking Dead

Post by vosburg » Mon May 05, 2014 1:31 pm

A great and simple lower back exercise, 100 slow toe touches. no weight. Takes a couple minutes and your back will be sore the next two days.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon May 05, 2014 2:29 pm

Jeriah wrote: ....

We drove down and got a hotel. Dinner was a plain pasta with chicken, hopefully intended to sort of plug up our butts so we would poop in a more predictable manner. Oh, here's another thing they don't tell you about Marathons: you have to put duct tape on your nipples or the chafing from your shirt makes them bleed.

Anyway, I did it. 5:18. Didn't shit myself. Felt awesome.
Its funny I read the first sentence of your story, and immediately thought to ask you about the pooping and nipple thing if you didn't mention it. :rofl:

Congrats on completing and the time is pretty good for a beginner. Running a marathon (or even a half marathon) is a bucket list thing for me.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Mon May 05, 2014 2:37 pm

Bubba Enfield wrote:Jeriah, that's awesome! Quite an accomplishment indeed. If you don't mind, I'd like to hear a bit about your mental processes during your 5-hour journey.
Thanks, man. It was a really interesting experience. I was really worried I'd crap out because I only trained up to 10 miles and I knew I was facing over two and a half times that. A couple of things really, really helped.

First was the weather. I don't do well in the heat (my 2nd time doing Milcopp I was on my ass by the end of the first day with heat prostration) and this was Phoenix, which can be really hot even in early March. But then there was a rainstorm predicted and I was concerned we'd get drenched. As it happened, it was a cool drizzle, just enough to keep me cool, not enough to be unpleasant. I was cold at the start in a damp T shirt before dawn but was perfect once I started running and the sun came up. Other runners brought thrift store sweaters and dropped em on the route; the race organizers give em all to a thrift store so it isn't littering.

The other thing that helped was music. I bought an iPod Shuffle before the run, and made a playlist for running. It was great. As I approached the halfway mark I was slowing down, almost to a walk, when the perfect song came on. Not just Eye of The Tiger, but a black metal cover of Eye of the Tiger. I pretty much sprinted across the halfway line. Time was 2:28. As soon as I crossed the halfway line, Rhapsody's "Dawn of Victory" came on.

Another thing that helped was telling myself, "It's not a race." This is funny to be because it's EXACTLY a race. A Marathon is like the definition of a race. But not for me. I wasn't pushing myself to go faster. Just take it easy and try to stay at a run as much as possible. I walked a little, especially at the water stations. But I always brought it back up to a run. But a slow run.

Sometimes I did think about running from zombies, or about the ending of Black Hawk Down. It is cool to know that I can run 26.2 miles in a little over 5 hours...with no pack, in perfect weather, with people giving me water and bananas as often as I need them.

Doryman

Post by Doryman » Mon May 05, 2014 5:40 pm

Wrong thread

-George Orwell

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Mon May 12, 2014 9:10 am

Dusting off and tuning up the bicycle today. It's well past time to get off my ass again. Never should have gotten back on it when winter arrived.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:07 pm

Necro!

I was doing a lot of burpees and body weight exercises. I am now shifting to kettlebells since they are finally beginning to trickle back into stores. I'm just doing some simple beginner movements with 20 lbs, and if I stick with it for a few months I'm allowed to get a 40 lb bell.

I really miss my time with olympic style power lifting (which I did ok at) but kettlebells and body weights are what I have so far in a COVID world.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:44 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:07 pm
Necro!

I was doing a lot of burpees and body weight exercises. I am now shifting to kettlebells since they are finally beginning to trickle back into stores. I'm just doing some simple beginner movements with 20 lbs, and if I stick with it for a few months I'm allowed to get a 40 lb bell.

I really miss my time with olympic style power lifting (which I did ok at) but kettlebells and body weights are what I have so far in a COVID world.
You could always try resistance bands for a different type of exercise. Concentrate on form and controlled movements as opposed to more explosive movement.
Tony D Tiger

Phil
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead. Certain newscasts.

Post by Phil » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:59 pm

We have a couple of trainer units that turn our bicycles into stationary trainers. Regularly use those, but not enough. I used to be a bicycle commuter, but now that we're working from home, I have no reason nor motivation to go out. This city is one of the worst for bicycle accidents due to inattentive/bad/ignorant/malicious drivers, and I really don't want to have to go to the ER and contract a nosocomial case of COVID-19.
Aside from that, we try to do chi gong to keep the joints limber. Some calisthenics are done regularly. I often sit around, using my rifle as a training weight, I can do a lot of reps and increase tone and speed. The Navy killed my neck and back (to the tune of 30% disability due to stenosis) so I don't do any high impact training.

Phil Forrest
"you will not laugh, you will not cry, you will learn by the numbers, I will teach you!"
GYSGT Hartman, FMJ

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”