2020 Hurricane Season

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

boskone

Re: 2020 Hurricane Season

Post by boskone » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:45 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:27 pm
Sally's agonizingly slow approach and rainfall saturated the ground pretty good, and trees went down everywhere. Our engineers say we had around 2000 broke poles, and close to 4000 spans of wire down....and many of them were the big, stout three-phase poles with 4/0 or .652 wire.
I wouldn't be surprised if we see similarly disproportionate effects from TS Beta in/around Houston.

Not as bad, as it is a smaller storm, but a relatively large amount of damage from saturated ground.

Blast
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Girl With the Gifts

Post by Blast » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:36 pm

boskone wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:45 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if we see similarly disproportionate effects from TS Beta in/around Houston.

Not as bad, as it is a smaller storm, but a relatively large amount of damage from saturated ground.
Thankfully there haven't been many fallen trees or power outages from Beta here in Houston, as of Wednesday afternoon. The roads are pretty much drained, too.
-Blast
Foraging Texas
Medicine Man Plant Co.
DrMerriwether on YouTube
Ham Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:53 pm

Helps a good bit that it's been pretty dry most of the summer. Ground soaks up a lot more of the rain.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:38 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:27 pm
Sally curb-stomped us pretty good. I'd say, as far as damage to the powerlines goes, she was twice as bad as Ivan back in '04....even though Ivan was a stronger storm. Sally's agonizingly slow approach and rainfall saturated the ground pretty good, and trees went down everywhere. Our engineers say we had around 2000 broke poles, and close to 4000 spans of wire down....and many of them were the big, stout three-phase poles with 4/0 or .652 wire.

Immediately after the storm, all 75,000 of our accounts/meters were out, and only 5 of our 22 distribution substations had power from the transmission lines. We have 75 Linemen and 30 or so Right-Of-Way techs at our company, but we have been augmented by around 1100 Linemen and 300 ROW techs from 12 different States. Latest update we have over 63,000 of our 75,000 accounts back on.

Out at the OShea Armadillo Ranch & Coyote Preserve, things aren't too bad. All the houses and structures made it thru fairly undamaged, but I have four large pecan trees and three big pine trees down in the yards. I haven't had the chance to ride the trails to see what's down on the rest of the property. A group from church is supposed to come by and cut-up the trees down by the houses....which will be nice, cause I'm thinking it will be another week or so before we go back to regular hours and days off.

Anyway....back to the grind.
Update: We now have around 71,000 of our 75,000 accounts back on. A lot of the remaining buildings have severe damage, are single accounts at the ends of long single-phase taps, or are folks that had the meter box/power panel snatched off the side of their house or business and are waiting for an electrician to make repairs.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:01 am

RickOShea wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:38 pm

Update: We now have around 71,000 of our 75,000 accounts back on. A lot of the remaining buildings have severe damage, are single accounts at the ends of long single-phase taps, or are folks that had the meter box/power panel snatched off the side of their house or business and are waiting for an electrician to make repairs.
I had a business associate in your AO. He was told that it would be 3 to 7 weeks to get power back. He called me Thursday PM and asked for some help.
I got him a 200kw generator, connection cables/boxes, 550 gallons of diesel in a tote tank, an electrician and a 2 helpers on site by Friday PM. He was back in business by Friday @ 5pm with enough fuel to last about 5 days and a supplier lined up to refill the tote tank every 3 days to ensure he had diesel to run the generator for the duration.

Sunday you guys got the power turned on :clap:
So 3 to 7 weeks was only 3 days.
Good Job!
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:58 pm

Looks like we are down to a little less than 200 remaining accounts that are still out.

Our out-of-state crews are starting to make their way back home to Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:41 pm

NWS National Hurricane Center -

A tropical wave is located on this Wednesday evening over the west-central Caribbean Sea. It's expected to continue moving westward during the next couple of days and produce a broad area of low pressure over the western Caribbean Sea or extreme southern Gulf of Mexico by Thursday night or Friday. Environmental conditions are forecast to be conducive for some development thereafter, and a tropical depression could form during the weekend while the system moves slowly west-northwestward over the northwestern Caribbean Sea. It has a low (20 percent) chance of formation during the next 48 hours and a high (70 percent) chance during the next five days. Interests in Belize, the Yucatan Peninsula, and western Cuba should monitor the progress of this disturbance.

Elsewhere, another tropical wave is located a few hundred miles east of the Lesser Antilles, producing widespread cloudiness and disorganized shower activity. This disturbance is forecast to move westward during the next several days where environmental conditions could become a little more conducive for development over the central or western Caribbean Sea by early next week. It has a near zero chance of formation during the next 48 hours and a low (20 percent) chance during the next five days.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:57 pm

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:05 pm

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:44 am

M@$%^&* F)!ker!

On the bright side it was 65 degrees outside this AM and 50% humidity. Not exactly conditions that favor TS development.
Duco Ergo Sum

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:42 pm

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:46 pm

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:14 pm

The track seems to be drifting more westward. Heads Galveston to Morgan City...especially Lake Chuck. Sorry dudes but it looks like you guys are in for a bumpy ride regardless.
Duco Ergo Sum

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:04 am

From NPR: Hurricane Delta Heads For Louisiana Coast As A Category 3 Storm

If you think you should evac, you should.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:43 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:04 am

From NPR: Hurricane Delta's Winds Hit 115 MPH As Storm Approaches Louisiana Coast - I recently had some experience with such winds. I don't recommend it.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:46 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:43 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:04 am

From NPR: Hurricane Delta's Winds Hit 115 MPH As Storm Approaches Louisiana Coast - I recently had some experience with such winds. I don't recommend it.
My oldest brother lives in SE Texas near the Texas/Louisiana border and he experienced some of the high winds from this hurricane. He's in Bridge City and reported they got about 8 or so inches of rain and winds from 40 to 50 miles per hour.

As of this morning, half of the city is without power, but it should be restored soon. Maybe a day or two at the most there.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”