Any Newbies Here Because of Coronavirus?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Any Newbies Here Because of Coronavirus?

Post by absinthe beginner » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:05 am

With panic-buying sweeping the nation, how many newly-minted preppers have discovered ZS? Speak up and let us know what brought you here.

Ever

Re: Any Newbies Here Because of Coronavirus?

Post by Ever » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:32 am

I am a returning prepper. Off line for several years. Have a recently new Kindle and recognized in January COVID-19 was the disaster zombie that was likely to impact worldwide.

Started concentrated prepping immediately. By the beginning of February knew I was needing some prep guidance as well as the Event progression updates that ZS is so good at.

So not new, but newly returned.

This story in ZS is a wealth of Bug In step by step how-to wrapped up in an engrossing entertainment
Ever, previously known here as 'zombiepreparation'

as COVID-19 moves closer to my large apartment building I am observing the reasons why the likelihood of my surviving this Event is growing increasingly remote: The building would more aptly be named Ship Of Fools Apartments. Offering a head size bucket of sand with every new lease.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:12 am

A bit like Ever, I'm not a newbie but have been mostly away from ZS for most of three years (due to politics, both domestic & foreign).

But I'm back now :)
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:16 pm

sheddi wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:12 am
A bit like Ever, I'm not a newbie but have been mostly away from ZS for most of three years (due to politics, both domestic & foreign).

But I'm back now :)
:clap:

roOism
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by roOism » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:12 pm

Not new per se, but haven’t been active in a long while. Always pop my head in here when there’s a noteworthy occurrence, you guys are a much better source of non-alarmist info than just about anywhere.
"Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must." - Goethe

Hyde0352

Post by Hyde0352 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:33 pm

I was fairly active here about 12-13 years ago. I never stopped prepping, I just stopped posting here. I can't even remember what my username was.

I still have my ZS patch on the Bail Out Bag I got from CountyComm back in the day.

Trout_Of_Death

Post by Trout_Of_Death » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:03 pm

I too am back after a 4-5 year leave. Didn't stop either, just changed tactics a bit over the years. Learned a lot on here then once I got my preps in order kind of stepped back. On here to get honest reports from people and see how things are progressing in the US. I hear rumors, but looking for facts. I'm not afraid of COVID-19, as always discussed on here, it's the zombies that get ya. lol Hope everyone is doing well. Keep you heads on a swivel. Going to go to the store tonight to see what people are snatching up now to get a feel for where everything is at.

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)

Post by Sckitzo » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:03 pm

Made me find my way back

thebigstick

Post by thebigstick » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:57 am

Same here.
Got my preps in order learning off you guys a while back and then continued life as normal.
I figured if anyone would have their head on their shoulders and have tips but I might have forgotten it would be the Zombie Squad fam.
Visit the new Southern California Zombie Squad chapter ZS:44
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=134

BrokenFiringPin

Post by BrokenFiringPin » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:26 pm

I am on my third account. I think I had an account back in 2008 around the time I bought my first firearm, again a couple years ago, and I just never stuck around. I probably read more posts than I actually post. I live in Europe now, and its scary. I hope everyone holds it together back in the homeland.

Agrimuris

Post by Agrimuris » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:42 pm

Not a newbie. But back due to current events. Hope everyone is keeping their wits about them.
ZSC:005
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:36 am

Welcome back everyone. Not the best of circumstances, obviously. But if your former involvement in ZS helped you be even a little bit better prepared for this crisis than you otherwise would have been, that counts as a positive. And if you can now find (or share) some useful information here going forward, so much the better. :awesome:

amber5499

Post by amber5499 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:29 pm

Returning as well. Lurked and posted off and on since 2009. At that time I was a stay at home mom and our family was on a budget, it was a hobby that aligned with my upbringing and common sense. I continued through the years even after getting a good full time job. With renter issues we have always stocked a decent amount of food and other stuff to get by on lean times. Happy to be back with like minded people! Stay safe everyone!

romo8h

Post by romo8h » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:49 pm

Long time listener, first time caller here.

Have considered joining for 15 years since befriending lots of ZS folks thru roller derby. But yes, Coronavirus motivated me today to log on & see what the most prepared among us are thinking & doing right now.

JT42

Post by JT42 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:00 pm

I doubt there will be any new people... how could people even find out about ZS and know what it's about? The home page has been basically blank (four lines) for... months? ...years now? And not one of those four lines mentions preparedness.

I've been here for about 8 years, and only learned about ZS from two friends who joined about that same time, although they have both lost interest and haven't been back for close to 7.5 years.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:17 pm

JT42 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:00 pm
I doubt there will be any new people... how could people even find out about ZS and know what it's about? The home page has been basically blank (four lines) for... months? ...years now? And not one of those four lines mentions preparedness.

I've been here for about 8 years, and only learned about ZS from two friends who joined about that same time, although they have both lost interest and haven't been back for close to 7.5 years.
Maybe if you looked around and took notice of the new members that are posting every day you might change your mind. You could even ask them how they found us, and probably hear that it was through Google while searching for prepping information. The site is constantly being scoured by Google Bots (and others) every minute of every day (151 of them at this very moment).
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:59 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:17 pm
The site is constantly being scoured by Google Bots (and others) every minute of every day (151 of them at this very moment).
Something should be done about that :clownshoes:

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:08 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:59 pm
NT2C wrote:
The site is constantly being scoured by Google Bots (and others) every minute of every day (151 of them at this very moment).
You are absolutely correct. So, any ideas on how we can entice more? :crazy:

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:03 am

NT2C wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:08 am
MPMalloy wrote:
NT2C wrote:
These aren't the droids you are looking for. Move along
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:11 am

flybynight wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:03 am
NT2C wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:08 am
MPMalloy wrote:
NT2C wrote:
These aren't the droids you are looking for. Move along
Seriously though, ZS always has and always will have the welcome mat out for anyone seeking more information on how to better prepare for the things this modern world can throw at us unexpectedly. Membership is not required to read many of the public discussion areas of the site but only by becoming a member can someone take part in the discussions. We strive to make that process as painless as possible and pride ourselves on being an extraordinarily welcoming and accepting community. Hell, any place that would let me be an admin has to be welcoming and accepting!

Phil

Post by Phil » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:20 am

I'm not new, like most of the folks here. I returned after years of being inactive here but very active in other parts of my life. Looking at it from a mental health perspective, I see a correlation in my participation years ago, my hiatus and my return. Anyway, I'm literally weeks away from being a newly minted mental health clinician, so feel free to talk. I'm not doing professional consults, I'm just a good listener, a mechanic, an artist, a photographer, a machinist, and expert pistol and rifle shot... Sorry, I'm still on my first cup of coffee.
Take care of yourselves, your families, and don't forget to take care of your minds. When I was a Boy Scout about 30 years ago, my scoutmaster asked us all if we were in a survival situation, had gone a few days without food and came upon a choice between a half dozen apples or a good steak, which would we pick? I answered apples because of the water and sugar and complex carbs inside. While the correct physiological answer is apples, the one that boosts morale is often the steak. Because the mind is a lot more powerful than the body and it knows that the body can do much more than we are usually aware of. So, keep yourself healthy in all aspects, as much as you can, but have a good outlook on your situation, even if the SHTF. Doom and gloom cause anxiety and stress, so they do no one any good. Know your enemy and respect them but always try to have a positive outlook and you're more likely to get it.
Keep washing your hands. Eat plenty of veggies and fruits, a decent amount of protein. Get plenty of sleep. Get plenty of sun. Vitamin D is important for cell, immune and bone health.
Good luck to all.
Phil Forrest
"you will not laugh, you will not cry, you will learn by the numbers, I will teach you!"
GYSGT Hartman, FMJ

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:25 pm

With all the ZS prodigal sons returning, this song seems apropos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snWHvcWsybM

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:11 pm

absinthe beginner wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:25 pm
With all the ZS prodigal sons returning, this song seems apropos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snWHvcWsybM
:D

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”