What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

TacAir

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by TacAir » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:37 pm

Got a set of studded snow tires for the Hamstermobile.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:15 pm

Bought a new-to-me refurbished laptop. While it isn't part of what most people would consider "normal" prepping, for me having a working computer is vital. Even without internet connectivity it can occupy my "down" time and keep me entertained. With the wife and I planning on living out of a travel trailer for up to a few months in the near future while or new place gets delivered and setup (and while we move cross country), having a good working laptop is an important prep item for me. My regular PC will be packed away in its Pelican shipping case aboard the moving truck, my widescreen monitors will be similarly tucked safely away, my 4TB NAS will be powered down and stored, it will just be me, my phone, and my laptop for entertainment (plus a wife and 4 crazy cats but that's a different kind of entertainment), even our books will all be packed away, and my 10-year-old 17" Gateway laptop running Win 7 or my 20+ year-old 12" Toughbook running Win 10, or my wife's old Dell 14" running who knows what (I'm probably going to wipe it and make it a Linux machine), none of those will be quite enough to entertain my geek inner core. Therefore, I just plunked down a few hundred bucks for a nice AMD Ryzen 5 powered machine with a 1TB drive and 32GB memory. It should suffice. :mrgreen:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:50 pm

NT2C wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:15 pm
Bought a new-to-me refurbished laptop. While it isn't part of what most people would consider "normal" prepping, for me having a working computer is vital. Even without internet connectivity it can occupy my "down" time and keep me entertained. With the wife and I planning on living out of a travel trailer for up to a few months in the near future while or new place gets delivered and setup (and while we move cross country), having a good working laptop is an important prep item for me. My regular PC will be packed away in its Pelican shipping case aboard the moving truck, my widescreen monitors will be similarly tucked safely away, my 4TB NAS will be powered down and stored, it will just be me, my phone, and my laptop for entertainment (plus a wife and 4 crazy cats but that's a different kind of entertainment), even our books will all be packed away, and my 10-year-old 17" Gateway laptop running Win 7 or my 20+ year-old 12" Toughbook running Win 10, or my wife's old Dell 14" running who knows what (I'm probably going to wipe it and make it a Linux machine), none of those will be quite enough to entertain my geek inner core. Therefore, I just plunked down a few hundred bucks for a nice AMD Ryzen 5 powered machine with a 1TB drive and 32GB memory. It should suffice. :mrgreen
(jealous emoji)

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:12 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:50 pm
NT2C wrote:
Bought a new-to-me refurbished laptop. While it isn't part of what most people would consider "normal" prepping, for me having a working computer is vital. Even without internet connectivity it can occupy my "down" time and keep me entertained. With the wife and I planning on living out of a travel trailer for up to a few months in the near future while or new place gets delivered and setup (and while we move cross country), having a good working laptop is an important prep item for me. My regular PC will be packed away in its Pelican shipping case aboard the moving truck, my widescreen monitors will be similarly tucked safely away, my 4TB NAS will be powered down and stored, it will just be me, my phone, and my laptop for entertainment (plus a wife and 4 crazy cats but that's a different kind of entertainment), even our books will all be packed away, and my 10-year-old 17" Gateway laptop running Win 7 or my 20+ year-old 12" Toughbook running Win 10, or my wife's old Dell 14" running who knows what (I'm probably going to wipe it and make it a Linux machine), none of those will be quite enough to entertain my geek inner core. Therefore, I just plunked down a few hundred bucks for a nice AMD Ryzen 5 powered machine with a 1TB drive and 32GB memory. It should suffice. :mrgreen
(jealous emoji)
They still have plenty left if you want one. Mine was just a little over $400

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:24 pm

NT2C wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:12 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:50 pm
NT2C wrote:
(jealous emoji)
They still have plenty left if you want one. Mine was just a little over $400
Sock it to me! :D

boskone

Post by boskone » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:25 am

NT2C wrote:
With the wife and I planning on living out of a travel trailer for up to a few months in the near future while or new place gets delivered and setup (and while we move cross country), having a good working laptop is an important prep item for me. My regular PC will be packed away in its Pelican shipping case aboard the moving truck, my widescreen monitors will be similarly tucked safely away, ...
I hope to be in a similar situation. Whatever trailer I get will have an office space (either pull a superfluous dinette in favor of a desk, or if I find the right deal might get a bunkhouse and use the bunk area as an office), so I built my system into a drawer and found a monitor mount I can bolt through a table top.

Food for thought.

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:34 pm

NT2C wrote:
<SNIP>, even our books will all be packed away,<SNIP>
earlier generation kindles are available cheap and can store a veritable library of books...
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:38 pm

SCBrian wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:34 pm
NT2C wrote:
earlier generation kindles are available cheap and can store a veritable library of books...
I have several that were gifts. The only problem is I can't read text from them for more than 10-15 minutes or I get a migraine that will disable me for a day or more. Found this out the hard way.

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:05 pm

NT2C wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:38 pm
SCBrian wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:34 pm
NT2C wrote:
I have several that were gifts. The only problem is I can't read text from them for more than 10-15 minutes or I get a migraine that will disable me for a day or more. Found this out the hard way.
The paperwhites (Backlit) ones are supposed to be good about not inducing migraines, but was just a thought to help. For me, reading is like meditation. :)
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:51 pm

SCBrian wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:05 pm
For me, reading is like meditation. :)
I can't remember the last time I could enjoy a good long read. :? :(

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member