raising rats and/or rabbits for dog food in SHTF?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Bravo9

raising rats and/or rabbits for dog food in SHTF?

Post by Bravo9 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:04 pm

I've been around the prepper community a long time and I thought I'd heard it all. But today I heard a new idea: raising rats and/or rabbits as dog food either now or in SHTF.

I'm interested in the economics of this idea for the here and now as well as the potential for SHTF.

Has anyone done this or analyzed the feasibility/advisability of the idea?

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: raising rats and/or rabbits for dog food in SHTF?

Post by raptor » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:28 pm

Welcome to the forum. Please do go to the introduction page and introduce yourself.

As for your question there are many resources on rabbits for food for human consumption. There is no reason they could not be used for dog food.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:54 pm

I have so many rabbits on my property I have to dodge them in the driveway in the morning. I let them do the hard expensive work of raising themselves and I do the cheap easy work of shooting and eating them.

With field rats it is pretty much the same but they stay out of the driveway and I don't eat them. I guess I could shoot them and feed them to the dog but I normally keep six months of dog food on hand. If that runs dry then we are likely facing a much larger problem set than feeding the dog.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:24 pm

In a SHTF situation I'm thinking most dogs will be fending for themselves, eating scraps and being eaten by humans.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:30 pm

In my area rabbit meat sells for way too much money to feed to dogs. I would be 100x better off selling it locally and buying dog food.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:58 am

Feed dogs the ofal, eat 5he meat. My late Huskies loved the ofal I bought from a local rabbit breeder.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”