I'm moving to Alaska.

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

woodsghost

Re: I'm moving to Alaska.

Post by woodsghost » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:02 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:51 pm
Updates:

Officially leaving for Canada at the end of this month. Trying to make the 4000 miles in 5 days.

Also, took the Harbor Freight cargo rack back. Never buy a "flip up" version as it bounces like crazy. Got a solid version to haul some gear. Also, I receiver tightener is a great invention.

Considering making a Youtube video of my gear and the journey. But I also worry about my identity as my channel has professional videos on it. So maybe I'll start a fake account hahahaha.

Yes, I'm paranoid.
I'd be very paranoid too. Good thought.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:55 am

Just got caught up and looking forward to pictures! Here is a link with a list of the top 13 image hosting sites:

https://makeawebsitehub.com/free-photo-hosting/
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:19 pm

Block heater for the jeep?
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:48 pm

91Eunozs wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:19 pm
I'm considering it... but I don't know much about them. When I was living up there last winter, no one really had them. I guess modern gas cars do pretty well and remote start just makes sure it's warm for the driver.

I'm looking at the oil pan heaters... the cheap stick on kind as it seems to be a temporary and easy install if I choose to use it or have access to electricity on my stops.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:23 pm

please take chains, have a stove or other way to stay warm if the Jeep takes a dump.

Buy an Alaska Milepost to see what gas stations are open in the winter, ditto for hotels. The Milepost also has distance between points.

Take at least one 5 gal gas can, just in case.

Temps today in Ft Nelson BC, for example, today are -16 F - for the high.

The weather this time of year can be LETHAL.

Take care. I sincerely hope you have an uneventful trip...
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:09 am

TacAir wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:23 pm
please take chains, have a stove or other way to stay warm if the Jeep takes a dump.

Buy an Alaska Milepost to see what gas stations are open in the winter, ditto for hotels. The Milepost also has distance between points.

Take at least one 5 gal gas can, just in case.

Temps today in Ft Nelson BC, for example, today are -16 F - for the high.

The weather this time of year can be LETHAL.

Take care. I sincerely hope you have an uneventful trip...
Yep, using the milepost.

I have my 10* sleeping bag and lots of winter clothes. Not sure yet about a safe way to heat my Jeep in an emergency.

I'm considering chains as well but I have studded snow tires going with me.

Also have a 5 gallon gas can as well.

I too hope it is uneventful....
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:44 pm

JeeperCreeper!

In your honor they blew up this satellite dish near Talkeetna :mrgreen:

I like Alaska and am looking forward to you keeping us informed of your adventure.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

moab

Post by moab » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:14 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Updates:

Officially leaving for Canada at the end of this month. Trying to make the 4000 miles in 5 days.

Also, took the Harbor Freight cargo rack back. Never buy a "flip up" version as it bounces like crazy. Got a solid version to haul some gear. Also, I receiver tightener is a great invention.

Considering making a Youtube video of my gear and the journey. But I also worry about my identity as my channel has professional videos on it. So maybe I'll start a fake account hahahaha.

Yes, I'm paranoid.
Pics here would be nice. Would love to see your set up. Sorry I missed your posts. My notifications are obviously down again.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:37 am

moab wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:14 am
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Updates:

Yes, I'm paranoid.
Pics here would be nice. Would love to see your set up. Sorry I missed your posts. My notifications are obviously down again.
I'll try to take a video of my current set up on my phone so the quality will be lacking.

But.... I will not be making the drive this January. After talking with my brother, I have a lot to lose on the drive if I run into issues. Anything from the cold zapping out a 20 year old sensor will leave me with an expensive and harmful situation.

Decided it's not worth the "savings" of driving my $3000 Jeep to Alaska when I can just buy a $3000 Jeep up there.

However..... I will be making the drive in 2019. In November.

I'm getting married and when I come back to the lower 48, I'm buying a newish truck/suv and driving with my wife and dog in November.

Since I will only be in Alaska for 2-3 years, that same truck will be the one that will move me home as well so I'm fine with actually buying a good vehicle.

Most likely will get a Nissan or Toyota (Titan/Frontier/R51 Pathy/Armada or Tacoma/Tundra)

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:38 am

I'll have to change my name from JeeperCreeper to TacomaTreeper or FrontierFreeper

moab

Post by moab » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:50 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:37 am
moab wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:14 am
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Updates:

Yes, I'm paranoid.
I'll try to take a video of my current set up on my phone so the quality will be lacking.

But.... I will not be making the drive this January. After talking with my brother, I have a lot to lose on the drive if I run into issues. Anything from the cold zapping out a 20 year old sensor will leave me with an expensive and harmful situation.

Decided it's not worth the "savings" of driving my $3000 Jeep to Alaska when I can just buy a $3000 Jeep up there.

However..... I will be making the drive in 2019. In November.

I'm getting married and when I come back to the lower 48, I'm buying a newish truck/suv and driving with my wife and dog in November.

Since I will only be in Alaska for 2-3 years, that same truck will be the one that will move me home as well so I'm fine with actually buying a good vehicle.

Most likely will get a Nissan or Toyota (Titan/Frontier/R51 Pathy/Armada or Tacoma/Tundra)
Where'd you buy a 2001 XJ for $3000?! That would be 10k anywhere else. :)
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:01 pm

moab wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:50 am

HAHAHA people may think it's worth 10 grand from the craigslist prices that I see.

I bought it for $3500 in 2014 with 112k miles on it from a friend-of-a-friend's father-in-law. Pretty good deal for PA as it had zero rust (snow bird in AZ and NM). I have since gotten the miles up to 190k or thereabouts. It's not in perfect shape as I use it daily and road trip the crap out of it. But realistically it's worth around $3000 since I got a good deal on it originally.

XJ's can be valuable but they aren't wranglers. My brother did say he wants to buy it but I know giving it to him will be a death sentence as he will turn it into his next rock crawler.

moab

Post by moab » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:46 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:01 pm
moab wrote:

HAHAHA people may think it's worth 10 grand from the craigslist prices that I see.

I bought it for $3500 in 2014 with 112k miles on it from a friend-of-a-friend's father-in-law. Pretty good deal for PA as it had zero rust (snow bird in AZ and NM). I have since gotten the miles up to 190k or thereabouts. It's not in perfect shape as I use it daily and road trip the crap out of it. But realistically it's worth around $3000 since I got a good deal on it originally.

XJ's can be valuable but they aren't wranglers. My brother did say he wants to buy it but I know giving it to him will be a death sentence as he will turn it into his next rock crawler.
Ah. I see. Whenever anyone says XJ I think of that TJ with the X on it.

I made an anonymous thread on one of my Jeep forums for you. Even though your not driving now. It has some useful info about Anchorage and buying cars there and getting apts there. Stay out of Mountain View. It's the Compton of Anchorage. https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/dri ... ost-285321

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:29 am

moab wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:46 pm
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:01 pm
moab wrote:

Ah. I see. Whenever anyone says XJ I think of that TJ with the X on it.

I made an anonymous thread on one of my Jeep forums for you. Even though your not driving now. It has some useful info about Anchorage and buying cars there and getting apts there. Stay out of Mountain View. It's the Compton of Anchorage. https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/dri ... ost-285321

Nice!!! There's some good advice on there that seems to be consistent with what I've been told and planned on doing.

I'll keep that in mind about Mountain View. I frequent that area a bit up there as it is near the Bass Pro Shops and along a big highway and shopping area. But, Anchorage has zero zoning so you can have an office building next to a chicken coop.

Luckily none of the apartments I've been looking at are near there and I will get my family's approval (they've lived there for 15-20 years) on any locations.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:14 am

Well, I landed in AK yesterday, bought a 2005 Jeep Liberty today.

Ole KJ has 90k miles and came with studded Firestone Winterforces. Has standard part-time 4wd with open diffs. So it goes well, but not as nice as the limited-slip rear end as later models.

moab

Post by moab » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:43 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:14 am

Ole KJ has 90k miles and came with studded Firestone Winterforces. Has standard part-time 4wd with open diffs. So it goes well, but not as nice as the limited-slip rear end as later models.
Congrats dude!!!

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:52 am

moab wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:43 am
JeeperCreeper wrote:

Congrats dude!!!
Thank ya thank ya. Probably will keep it stock so there isn't much excitement for now. Might upgrade to some old man emu springs and some classic halogen spotlights.

moab

Post by moab » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:24 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:52 am
moab wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:

Congrats dude!!!
Thank ya thank ya. Probably will keep it stock so there isn't much excitement for now. Might upgrade to some old man emu springs and some classic halogen spotlights.
Sounds like a plan. When do you start work? And when will you get a chance to get out in the woods? Were you able to bring hiking/camping gear?

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:07 pm

moab wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:24 pm
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:52 am
moab wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:

Congrats dude!!!
Sounds like a plan. When do you start work? And when will you get a chance to get out in the woods? Were you able to bring hiking/camping gear?
Sorry for the late reply... but started work and finished my first month, but only got to do a couple adventures. Having a rotating schedule for weekends really cramps the adventure scheduling haha

HorseSoldier

Post by HorseSoldier » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:06 pm

91Eunozs wrote:
Not super needful in South Central AK/Anchorage area. Mileage varies further north in the Interior.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:01 pm

HorseSoldier wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:06 pm
91Eunozs wrote:
Not super needful in South Central AK/Anchorage area. Mileage varies further north in the Interior.
Mostly agreed as far as Anchorage goes, I was going to get a more temporary one for the drive up as it was -40 in some areas on the AlCan. Then again, most apartment complexes have plug ins but most people dont use them. Auto start, on the other hand is amazing if you dont have a garage.

Since I flew up, my Jeep Liberty that I bought up here doesn't have a heater and I didn't need one this balmy winter in Anchorage

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:14 pm

Now that you've been in Anchorage for a while, what do you think of our little burg?
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:15 am

TacAir wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:14 pm
Now that you've been in Anchorage for a while, what do you think of our little burg?
Ask me when it's officially summer. Haha

Overall I like it. Pros and cons obviously

But drivers are the worst. I avoid a collision almost daily commuting from Eagle River

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:35 am

Interesting thing about prepping up here, with earthquakes, volcanos, storms, Russian invasions, and shipping issues, prepping is pretty mainstream.

Even my new hire orientation at the hospital had a small part about stocking up on food and water in case of a yearly emergency. And if not, the mountain House dried food can be used for camping.

I thought that was neat.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”