Global Debt Time Bomb explodes soon

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
woodsghost
* * * * *
Posts: 2932
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Global Debt Time Bomb explodes soon

Post by woodsghost » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:13 am

grumpyviking wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:00 am

its not the British way.
This I believe! It fits with my favorite images of the British people. It is a great way to be.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

grumpyviking
* * *
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun May 03, 2015 5:47 am
Location: rural UK

Re: Global Debt Time Bomb explodes soon

Post by grumpyviking » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:14 am

woodsghost wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:13 am
grumpyviking wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:00 am

its not the British way.
This I believe! It fits with my favorite images of the British people. It is a great way to be.
thank you, i think?? :lol:
Survive, Adapt & Evolve .

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 16407
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: Global Debt Time Bomb explodes soon

Post by raptor » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:45 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:45 am
grumpyviking wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:38 am
I don't prepare to fail, period. I can adapt if circumstances change but I dont plan to fail.
I don't plan to fail either. I do plan for the possibility that it might happen anyways. 'cause sometimes things do go wrong. :wink:
I am not, nor is ZS, saying "stand around and wait to die". Just the opposite. The message we scream everyday. "Be prepared...If you are ready for a zombie invasion you are prepared for anything." It is a tag line and does have some hyperbole in it, but it is our philosophy.

So do continue your preparations. Have a Plan. Have a plan B...always have a Plan B.

As for things being so bad that people may not want to live, I am also not saying that either. The shock of a real SHTF event is real. It results in many issues (such as survivor's guilt) that preppers who survive will have to deal with and master. However if you read the threads written by survivors on ZS they tend to focus more on embracing the suck as opposed being trampled by it.

Still every good plan recognizes that failure is possible in any human endeavor. Shit happens. Mr Murphy was a optimist. No sane person sets out to fail but it is equal lunacy not to take that possibility into account.

To quote Mike Tyson:
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth"

To bring it back to the original reason for this discourse; despite our planning (or because we considered the alternative negative consequences) the cast majority of ZS'ers would prefer not to see how good their preparations work in a SHTF event.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 3847
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Global Debt Time Bomb explodes soon

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:26 am

From NPR: Government Shuts Down Ahead Of Holiday Over Stalemate (policy)

The article, and even the title, refer to national policy. I did what I could to keep the firth here on ZS. Firth (peace) is priceless. The VA said, in a pre-recorded message that this shutdown will not affect any VA benefits. The same message when on to say that all VA reps were unavailable & to call back later. Overwhelming call volume.

grumpyviking
* * *
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun May 03, 2015 5:47 am
Location: rural UK

Re: Global Debt Time Bomb explodes soon

Post by grumpyviking » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:42 am

raptor wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:45 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:45 am
grumpyviking wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:38 am
I don't prepare to fail, period. I can adapt if circumstances change but I dont plan to fail.
I don't plan to fail either. I do plan for the possibility that it might happen anyways. 'cause sometimes things do go wrong. :wink:
I am not, nor is ZS, saying "stand around and wait to die". Just the opposite. The message we scream everyday. "Be prepared...If you are ready for a zombie invasion you are prepared for anything." It is a tag line and does have some hyperbole in it, but it is our philosophy.

So do continue your preparations. Have a Plan. Have a plan B...always have a Plan B.

As for things being so bad that people may not want to live, I am also not saying that either. The shock of a real SHTF event is real. It results in many issues (such as survivor's guilt) that preppers who survive will have to deal with and master. However if you read the threads written by survivors on ZS they tend to focus more on embracing the suck as opposed being trampled by it.

Still every good plan recognizes that failure is possible in any human endeavor. Shit happens. Mr Murphy was a optimist. No sane person sets out to fail but it is equal lunacy not to take that possibility into account.

To quote Mike Tyson:
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth"

To bring it back to the original reason for this discourse; despite our planning (or because we considered the alternative negative consequences) the cast majority of ZS'ers would prefer not to see how good their preparations work in a SHTF event.
first of all, better to have something and not need it than to need it and not have it.
prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
failing to prepare is preparing to fail.
I have heard so many non preppers say they don't want to survive if its that bad, from one of our national explorers to people in the street.
I don't plan for death, if it happens it happens, but i'm planning for life not death. and I don't dwell on it either.
I plan for life after SHTF TEOTWAWKI whatever you want to call it, survive, adapt and move forward.
I think being British I probably have a different outlook on life, "dont give in and fight like hell" or maybe its "never say die"!! :lol:
Survive, Adapt & Evolve .

absinthe beginner
* * * * *
Posts: 1076
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:05 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Location: Colorado

Re: Global Debt Time Bomb explodes soon

Post by absinthe beginner » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:21 am

grumpyviking said: I don't plan for death, if it happens it happens, but i'm planning for life not death. and I don't dwell on it either.
I have too many people who depend on me, or who I care about, to not plan and prep for whatever might come down the pike. At the.core of my religious beliefs is Christ's admonition to "Love thy neighbor" (and not just the hot single mom next door) and that means doing what I can to look out for them, too.

grumpyviking
* * *
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun May 03, 2015 5:47 am
Location: rural UK

Re: Global Debt Time Bomb explodes soon

Post by grumpyviking » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:45 am

absinthe beginner wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:21 am
grumpyviking said: I don't plan for death, if it happens it happens, but i'm planning for life not death. and I don't dwell on it either.
I have too many people who depend on me, or who I care about, to not plan and prep for whatever might come down the pike. At the.core of my religious beliefs is Christ's admonition to "Love thy neighbor" (and not just the hot single mom next door) and that means doing what I can to look out for them, too.
well thats your decision. me, my DUTY is to me and mine, not someone i dont know and much less care about.
wife and i are pagans and have more compassion towards the beasts of the fields than some people that cant be bothered to plan for themselves but have there hand out everytime something goes wrong.
but i see i am wasting my time here, everything here is so negative and dwelling on death instead of living.
goodbye.
Survive, Adapt & Evolve .

User avatar
majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 6874
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead
Location: Maine

Re: Global Debt Time Bomb explodes soon

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:28 pm

absinthe beginner wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:21 am
grumpyviking said: I don't plan for death, if it happens it happens, but i'm planning for life not death. and I don't dwell on it either.
I have too many people who depend on me, or who I care about, to not plan and prep for whatever might come down the pike. At the.core of my religious beliefs is Christ's admonition to "Love thy neighbor" (and not just the hot single mom next door) and that means doing what I can to look out for them, too.
Truth.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 3847
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Global Debt Time Bomb explodes soon

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:55 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:28 pm
absinthe beginner wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:21 am
grumpyviking said: I don't plan for death, if it happens it happens, but i'm planning for life not death. and I don't dwell on it either.
I have too many people who depend on me, or who I care about, to not plan and prep for whatever might come down the pike. At the.core of my religious beliefs is Christ's admonition to "Love thy neighbor" (and not just the hot single mom next door) and that means doing what I can to look out for them, too.
Truth.
Truth. I have a duty to me & mine first, but I will help others if I can.

People have helped me in my life, they asked for nothing in return. I needed help & they simply helped me.

May they Be Blessed.

boskone
* *
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:07 pm

Re: Global Debt Time Bomb explodes soon

Post by boskone » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:01 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:55 pm
majorhavoc wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:28 pm
absinthe beginner wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:21 am
grumpyviking said: I don't plan for death, if it happens it happens, but i'm planning for life not death. and I don't dwell on it either.
I have too many people who depend on me, or who I care about, to not plan and prep for whatever might come down the pike. At the.core of my religious beliefs is Christ's admonition to "Love thy neighbor" (and not just the hot single mom next door) and that means doing what I can to look out for them, too.
Truth.
Truth. I have a duty to me & mine first, but I will help others if I can.

People have helped me in my life, they asked for nothing in return. I needed help & they simply helped me.

May they Be Blessed.
I don't believe in God, but I do believe in helping those who are struggling and just can't make it.

You do have to make sure it's appropriate (e.g. giving money to an addict is generally wildly counterproductive), but you shouldn't just refuse to help if you can.

absinthe beginner
* * * * *
Posts: 1076
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:05 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Location: Colorado

Re: Global Debt Time Bomb explodes soon

Post by absinthe beginner » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:15 pm

How could the global economy crash? Let us count the ways

https://www.scmp.com/comment/insight-op ... count-ways

Andy Xie says the stock sell-off in the US and elsewhere and the sharp decline in property prices all add up to more debt trouble at a time when debt is already sky-high. A repeat of the global financial crisis of a decade ago seems certain

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 3847
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Global Debt Time Bomb explodes soon

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:09 pm

Unfortunatley this is the kind of news I can contribute on any given day:

Dow Suffers Record-Breaking Christmas Eve Losses

Stocks Hit 20-Month Low as D.C. Turmoil Weighs: Markets Wrap

How Bad Will It Get for the Stock Market?

Global Stock Angst Snowballs as Nikkei 225 Enters Bear Market

How could the global economy crash? Let us count the ways

The topic is about Debt. AWAK, economic numbers take time. A lot of time. Stocks can be followed tick-by-tick. This sucks in my mind because those markets, by themselves, show a narrow view of the overall picture.

Unless I'm wrong.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 3847
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Global Debt Time Bomb explodes soon

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:11 pm

From Bloomberg: Don’t Be So Sure Hyperinflation Can’t Hit the U.S.
Some (CENSORED) back piling on even more debt to pay for social programs. That could be risky.
This is just an article about how this could happen, provided that everything happens just so.

User avatar
teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4337
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Global Debt Time Bomb explodes soon

Post by teotwaki » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:51 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:11 pm
From Bloomberg: Don’t Be So Sure Hyperinflation Can’t Hit the U.S.
Some (CENSORED) back piling on even more debt to pay for social programs. That could be risky.
This is just an article about how this could happen, provided that everything happens just so.


Oh boy. A PAW due to overspending. Thanks for the link!

Reference article about "Modern Monetary Theory" that is a driver https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a34n ... -explained
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 16407
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: Global Debt Time Bomb explodes soon

Post by raptor » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:19 pm

The US suffered years of double digit inflation until the mid 1980's after TEFRA of 1982.

Image

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-sta ... lation-cpi

Also the headline inflation rate today everyone sees is understated unless you do not use energy or eat food.

If you go back to 1988 after inflation had been tamed and compare what your $100 bill in 2018 purchased, you would would get only $48 of goods and services in 1988.
https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl ... ar2=201811

If what your 2019 $100 bill would purchase in 1978 you would be able to buy only $27 in goods and services.

Any inflation over decades is bad for everyone except debtors.

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 12505
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Bouncing in to Graceland

Re: Global Debt Time Bomb explodes soon

Post by Stercutus » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:04 pm

It's not all bad news. Technology has made a lot of things cheaper. In 1988 if I called California for ten minutes and talked to someone I was out $5, maybe more. Five years later it was $1, today? Free.

My parents cable bill was $35 and had I think, 35 channels.

Money is much cheaper.

An AR-15 was about $450. So, about the same.

A desk top 386 computer complete with 30lb monitor was at cheapest about $1500. If you wanted to save money you could get a 286.

A gallon of gas was $1.99. Same as it is today. Relative to inflation, electricity rates are about 25% lower than they were in 1988.

Appliances all cost about the same as they did back then. Just made in China instead of Japan.

A dress shirt was $12 at the discounter and $17 retail. A nice one was about $35. About the same as it is today.

Things that are more now? All the usual suspects like stuff they aren't making any more or any more of such as land, antiques, milsurp guns, etc.

Precious metals. Lots of reasons.

Meat and certain other food and food products. After and during the recession a lot of overseas companies moved in and bought up several large meat companies in the US (JBS, Smithfield, Pilgrims, etc). A lot of it is getting shipped overseas now due to the increase in wealth in other nations and of course the games with the prices. Poorer nations are making less food than ever relative to their population but still make of plenty of babies. So increased demand, lower supply. If Cargill ever sells out I am back to raising my own.

Bio-diesel of course caused a huge increase in the price of food and IMO is a program that needed to go away years ago. In fact if they scrap that program I am willing to bet food prices will crash by about 20% within three years.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Post Reply

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”