Everyday is Cybersecurity Awareness Day

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: October is National Cybersecurity Awareness Month

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:44 pm

I'm not entirely sure exactly what he did or deleted on his computer, but I do believe this is the same computer he used Bit locker on. He lost his bookmarks last week and I think he may have done something to try and recover them. And maybe in the recovery effort, something went south and he got locked out of it.

I'm not too computer savvy (the most mine gets used for is buying gun parts and browsing ZS), so I'm of very little use to him on the tech support front.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:12 pm

I'm back, phone-wise. The drive I'm having trouble with is the C drive. I never bit-locked that drive.

I'm not used to using my phone. I'll compose a narrative about the problem.

Yes...I started this thread & this happened to me. :gonk:

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:49 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:12 pm
I'm back, phone-wise. The drive I'm having trouble with is the C drive. I never bit-locked that drive.

I'm not used to using my phone. I'll compose a narrative about the problem.

Yes...I started this thread & this happened to me. :gonk:
Glad to have you back, either way.

Update on my recommendation of using either Bitlocker or VeraCrypt: https://www.engadget.com/2018/11/06/mic ... ncryption/.

Basically, one of the default settings for Bitlocker was to offload full-drive encryption to the SSD (if the SSD had such capability available), but some SSDs had default blank master passwords, or had otherwise flawed implementations of key storage. This is primarily a failure of drive manufacturers, but also somewhat of Bitlocker, which should have known that this vulnerability existed for some time, and yet retained it as a default setting (for supposed slight performance benefit). The recommended fix is to decrypt the drive and re-encrypt using the software encryption mode.

One of the reasons Self-Encrypting Drives (SEDs) became a thing is because of vulnerabilities discovered in some software disk encryption implementations, and thus offloading the work to the drive was an option. However, it just again proves that moving the problem around doesn't always solve it, and sometimes mistakes are made in either location. It is a bit of "whack-a-mole" in the cybersecurity space, and the real lesson is ultimately the same: true security doesn't exist, but some implementations of "security by asymmetry of difficulty" are better than others.

On by Ubuntu installation, I used the default LUKS encryption when I created the partition, which is still considered secure (as far as I am aware right now), and was relatively painless as well.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Everyday is Cybersecurity Awareness Day

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:04 pm

Change to the tread title. It's November now. December is next. Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Giving to me Tuesday.

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year! :mrgreen:

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:19 pm

From Wikipedia: Comparison of AV software

Desktop/Laptop/Mobile.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:12 am

Hey! System disks! :clap:

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:48 pm

Win 10 Defender found this:
Trojan:Script/Foretype.A!ml
KTS, Dr. Web, MalwareBytes all missed this. :vmad: :evil: :twisted:

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:37 pm

Off on a fresh install. Things are good so far. I have a lot of upgrades to slog thru. Nothin new.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”