Everyday is Cybersecurity Awareness Day

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Everyday is Cybersecurity Awareness Day

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:25 pm

National Cybersecurity Awareness Month

Stay safe online!

ETA: Change of thread title
Last edited by MPMalloy on Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: October is National Cybersecurity Awareness Month

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:09 pm

You should post this on Facebook! :crazy:

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:18 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:09 pm
You should post this on Facebook! :crazy:
hehehe.. :lol:

ShaneofReading
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
The Walking Dead (series)

Post by ShaneofReading » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:39 pm

I'm afraid the average internet user is incapable of grasping the concept of "Cybersecurity".
I'm only aware of it because I'm swimming in it at work all the time. WAF, IDS, etc. Endless patching.
I see people bring laptops to the library or church to do a presentation and I see them click close on security update notifications from everything. Their OS, Java, Web Browser, you name it. They're totally clueless.

When people ask me about how to secure their home computers, I tell them:
  • Buy a firewall router and place it between your ISP's modem and your PC/devices - their security is usually turned off (I'm looking at YOU Comcast!)
  • Buy a well known Antivirus, but not McAfee. I'm sure it protects you as well as others, but I find it a huge resource hog. You can use Kaspersky, if you don't mind the Kremlin having your data. Not a big deal for most people.
  • Keep things updated. Especially your Operating System and Web Browser.
  • Don't use an Admin account on your PC for regular daily use, keep that one a regular user and use "Run As Admin" when needed.
  • Use a different password/pass phrase for each account/website - write them down if you have to
  • When asked to fill out verification questions for Banking or password recovery and you plan on actually trying to answer the question, don't pick questions that can change as time passes like "What is your Favorite Movie?". Keep to things that are specific to a time and place that can no longer change.
  • Buy an external Hard Drive (usually from Western Digital like a MyBook) and back-up your data to it once a month. Don't keep it attached to your system. Attach it, do backups, then disconnect it. You can let it run over-night. That way if you do get one of those crypto virus, you only lost data since your last backup less than a month ago.
"life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans"
- John Lennon

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:45 pm

ShaneofReading wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:39 pm
I'm afraid the average internet user is incapable of grasping the concept of "Cybersecurity".
I'm only aware of it because I'm swimming in it at work all the time. WAF, IDS, etc. Endless patching.
I see people bring laptops to the library or church to do a presentation and I see them click close on security update notifications from everything. Their OS, Java, Web Browser, you name it. They're totally clueless.

• Buy a firewall router and place it between your ISP's modem and your PC/devices - their security is usually turned off (I'm looking at YOU Comcast!)
  • Buy a well known Antivirus, but not McAfee. I'm sure it protects you as well as others, but I find it a huge resource hog. You can use Kaspersky, if you don't mind the Kremlin having your data. Not a big deal for most people.
  • Don't use an Admin account on your PC for regular daily use, keep that one a regular user and use "Run As Admin" when needed.
  • Use a different password/pass phrase for each account/website - write them down if you have to
  • When asked to fill out verification questions for Banking or password recovery and you plan on actually trying to answer the question, don't pick questions that can change as time passes like "What is your Favorite Movie?". Keep to things that are specific to a time and place that can no longer change.
  • Buy an external Hard Drive (usually from Western Digital like a MyBook) and back-up your data to it once a month. Don't keep it attached to your system. Attach it, do backups, then disconnect it. You can let it run over-night. That way if you do get one of those crypto virus, you only lost data since your last backup less than a month ago.
  • I second keeping your computers and software fully updated. It's also worthwhile to check on firmware updates for your hardware (like routers etc.) once a year or so.
  • I prefer using a password manager, and using it to generate/remember unique, strong passwords for everything. It is very convenient, and also helps encourage you to change passwords if they've been compromised or are just getting old as well.
  • Enable two-factor authentication for the password manager and as many other accounts which allow you to.
  • If you are concerned about passive tracking online: VPN services and browser extensions can help, but using Tor (and changing your online behavior appropriately) is another free solution.
  • Ensure your computers are encrypted at rest (drive encryption), and use file encryption tools (like VeraCrypt) if you want to further compartmentalize sensitive information.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:38 pm

JayceSlayn wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:45 pm
ShaneofReading wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:39 pm

• I second keeping your computers and software fully updated. It's also worthwhile to check on firmware updates for your hardware (like routers etc.) once a year or so.
  • I prefer using a password manager, and using it to generate/remember unique, strong passwords for everything. It is very convenient, and also helps encourage you to change passwords if they've been compromised or are just getting old as well.
  • Enable two-factor authentication for the password manager and as many other accounts which allow you to.
  • If you are concerned about passive tracking online: VPN services and browser extensions can help, but using Tor (and changing your online behavior appropriately) is another free solution.
  • Ensure your computers are encrypted at rest (drive encryption), and use file encryption tools (like VeraCrypt) if you want to further compartmentalize sensitive information.
(ahem)

I am using Win10 Pro - (problem #1) :(

How do I tell the OS not to create/use the pagefile/swapfile or hibernate anymore and where are those files located so I can wipe them?

Also...Veracrypt or Bitlocker?

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:55 pm

I operate from just a couple of simple principles.
  • "Online privacy" is an oxymoron
  • Always assume any OS has holes/flaws that will let in a determined attacker/snoop
  • Any OS your government uses they will have found backdoors for
  • If you want something to stay 100% private from online snooping, don't store it on any device connected to the outside world
  • Nothing is ever 100% private, even if it only exists in your mind. You can be made to give it up.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:01 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:38 pm
(ahem)

I am using Win10 Pro - (problem #1) :(

How do I tell the OS not to create/use the pagefile/swapfile or hibernate anymore and where are those files located so I can wipe them?

Also...Veracrypt or Bitlocker?
Windows 10 is not my favorite (a view seemed to be shared by many others), but at least it is being actively maintained by Microsoft (as compared to something like Windows XP), meaning you should be getting security updates etc., for better or worse. :P I briefly upgraded to Win10 from Win7 before I bought a new SSD and went to Ubuntu (16.04 then, 18.04 now) with no dual-boot at all.

As far as swap space encryption, it may depend on how your drive(s) are partitioned. I believe the typical Windows partitioning scheme has a boot, recovery, and "everything else" partition - meaning that your swap space will be in the same partition as the Windows OS, your user data, etc. If you encrypt that partition, then everything should be encrypted at rest. If you have a separate partition for swap usage however, you may have to make sure that gets encrypted as well.

VeraCrypt and Bitlocker will both do Windows pre-boot authentication - if you already have one or the other, just use that. I like VeraCrypt just because it is a little more flexible for use with other OSes, container encryption, etc.
NT2C wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:55 pm
I operate from just a couple of simple principles.
  • "Online privacy" is an oxymoron
  • Always assume any OS has holes/flaws that will let in a determined attacker/snoop
  • Any OS your government uses they will have found backdoors for
  • If you want something to stay 100% private from online snooping, don't store it on any device connected to the outside world
  • Nothing is ever 100% private, even if it only exists in your mind. You can be made to give it up.
I had a theory a while back that posited something like: "Anything that is secured with the intention of future legitimate access, can also be accessed illegitimately." That is to say, the only way that you could ensure 100% security of some information is to ensure nobody will ever be able to retrieve said information (including people who you want to) - essentially: destroy it. It isn't entirely practical to operate that way most of the time though, so we have to settle for at least making ourselves as hard a target as practicable.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:59 pm

After looking a few things up, I will be keeping those files for beter performance.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:25 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:59 pm
After looking a few things up, I will be keeping those files for beter performance.
If you really want better performance under Windows 10, throw memory at it. Windows always does better with more memory. After that my next step would be a fast SSD, as fast as your system can handle, and put the OS on it. If your system has an M.2 connection, use it. Mine has two and I have a drive in each of them. I recently had to transfer 60+ gigs of music files between them. They transferred so fast I couldn't see it on the screen so I tried doing it again and found they had in fact transferred. :shock:
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:00 pm

I recieved a spate of emails today:
APTs Targeting IT Service Provider Customers
Alert (TA18-276B) - Advanced Persistent Threat Activity Exploiting Managed Service Providers
Alert (TA18-276A) - Using Rigorous Credential Control to Mitigate Trusted Network xploitation

I'm not finding this relevant to my daily computing, & my lack of groking the subject material is probably a factor :clownshoes:

Anywho...there is this.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:48 pm

Here is an alert that some might not stop to think about: Cybersecurity Threats to Precision Agriculture

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:58 am

OS & all programs are updated. I am getting ready to log out of everything and make a full backup. Secondary backups have already been made. I will be using Bitlocker to encrypt my drives.

See y'all on the other side!

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:43 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:58 am
OS & all programs are updated. I am getting ready to log out of everything and make a full backup. Secondary backups have already been made. I will be using Bitlocker to encrypt my drives.

See y'all on the other side!
Sounds great!

I am in the process of ordering a couple of new drives for backing up the SO's and my own laptops. The last set of backup media is getting old, and one of them I just disassembled because the SATA controller had died. Also ordering an external SATA to USB setup, because I'm pretty confident that the HDD of broken one is still just fine.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:26 pm

A link to a list of 10 million passwords. If your password is on it you may want to change it.
Yes. 10 million.
https://xato.net/today-i-am-releasing-t ... 278bbe7495

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:08 am

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:58 am

raptor wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:26 pm
A link to a list of 10 million passwords. If your password is on it you may want to change it.
Yes. 10 million.
https://xato.net/today-i-am-releasing-t ... 278bbe7495
If any of mine are on there I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I use the same simple password for sites that I really don't see any need for high security on because gaining access to my account there can in no way hurt me. Like my account on Bed, Bath & Beyond that contains no payment information, just what pillows I'm currently considering. Someone wants to log in as me and buy me one with their own payment info, go right ahead. Sites where my account security actually matters each get a unique password (and wherever possible require two-factor authorization) that changes at random intervals.

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:05 am

Cross-post about hardware cybersecurity from "Forget EMP - A New Simpler Danger" thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=122046&p=2712581#p2712581

Update on how current technology can be used to detect hidden design changes to PCBs, deviating from design specifications: https://spectrum.ieee.org/riskfactor/co ... in-seconds.

Notably, the technology doesn't yet appear to be in widespread use, probably because it requires a significant monetary investment (and more importantly also a time investment, in a sector where time-to-market and rapid flexibility are paramount), and because some organizations haven't seen the threat as a considerable risk yet.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:09 am

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:52 pm

So MPMalloy is having a bit of an issue with his computer and asked me to ask y'all in here if he runs Acronis Boot loader from his BIOS if that'd fix his lockout issue.

Not quite sure what the extent of his issue is, but he asked me to post in here to see if that might solve his problem. All else fails, he might have to take his computer to a repair place to have it fixed.

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:27 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:09 am
From CERT via an email: Proper Disposal of Electronic Devices
This is information worth remembering as well.

I've donated a handful of computers in the past, after running Secure Erase on their hard-drives, following the instructions on this page: https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase. You can use a Live Linux USB on the same computer for this purpose, because the OS cannot be mounted on the hard drive that you are erasing. The instructions are not exactly for the faint of heart, but if you follow them carefully, you should be able to do it yourself.

Secure Erase has been studied to be capable of forensically erasing your data (unrecoverable, even by advanced techniques), and most HDDs and SSDs will implement it correctly. Physically destroying the device is another option, but I prefer to not waste it if only the data can be just as assuredly destroyed. Of course, some workplaces have rules about physical destruction of drives etc. prior to disposal, that is just my personal preference.
Last edited by JayceSlayn on Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:32 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:52 pm
So MPMalloy is having a bit of an issue with his computer and asked me to ask y'all in here if he runs Acronis Boot loader from his BIOS if that'd fix his lockout issue.

Not quite sure what the extent of his issue is, but he asked me to post in here to see if that might solve his problem. All else fails, he might have to take his computer to a repair place to have it fixed.
...Or is 12_Gauge_Chimp trying to spear phish MPM? :P There was an internal spear phishing test campaign at my workplace lately, and I was one of only ~1/5th of targets who correctly identified and reported the e-mail. :?

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:10 pm

JayceSlayn wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:32 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

...Or is 12_Gauge_Chimp trying to spear phish MPM? :P There was an internal spear phishing test campaign at my workplace lately, and I was one of only ~1/5th of targets who correctly identified and reported the e-mail. :?
Nah, nothing like that. :lol:

MP's a friend of mine and he's just having issues with his computer. I got a text from his this morning saying he deleted several programs off his computer and that he was locked out as a result.

I wonder if he accidentally deleted a program that was necessary to run his computer ?

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:35 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:10 pm
JayceSlayn wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:32 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

Nah, nothing like that. :lol:

MP's a friend of mine and he's just having issues with his computer. I got a text from his this morning saying he deleted several programs off his computer and that he was locked out as a result.

I wonder if he accidentally deleted a program that was necessary to run his computer ?
I get ya.

Unfortunately, I don't know of much assistance I could render from a distance, but I do recall him having recently encrypted his drive using Bitlocker (if this is the same computer we're talking about)? Is it related to not being able to access the encrypted partition, or something else? The encryption does make it more difficult to fix some issues, but you can try to run a live OS from a USB (like a live Ubuntu version) to have a poke around from a higher-level perspective. Unfortunately, you wouldn't be able to access any of the encrypted portion of the disk without the decryption keys - although that is also kind of the point.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”