i have a question, need help?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

anhngoc032

i have a question, need help?

Post by anhngoc032 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:52 pm

There's an abandoned asylum near where I live that I think would be a good place to bug out at. It's an older asylum, so it has good building-type security already built in(few entrances, barred windows, etc.) I think it's three stories high, and is three basements deep(2 sub-basements). If it could become up and running again it'd make for good sanitation(the bottom floor is a crematorium, as the asylum served as a tuburculosis hospital when tuberculosis was rampant.)

It's big, it's fenced in, and currently it's already boarded up to keep trespassers out, save for only one entrance that can actually still be used.(I guess you could unbarricade the other entrances if you wanted to in the zompocalypse.)

Though, this would probably be the creepiest place to bug out at since it WAS an asylum/sanitarium where a lot of people died.

So... anyone else have any place that sounds good logically, but sounds kind of iffy just because of the kind of building it really is? What do you guys think of this place?

flybynight

Re: i have a question, need help?

Post by flybynight » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:25 am

I know it sounds like something straight from the walking dead . But the realities of using pre-event abandoned buildings are somewhat insurmountable.
Unsafe structural hazards, vermin,left over dangerous chemicals , If it's 30-40 yrs old it could have lead paint and or asbestos. Black mold .All these things are not conducive to a healthy existence and would put you at a severe disadvantage with the other threats to life you will face.
Another consideration is abandoned buildings seem to attract the less desirable persons in normal circumstances. Do you really want to share your BOL with a bunch of addicts?
One other thing . The building may be abandoned, but it's still owned by somebody. Making you a illegal trespasser
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:20 pm

+1 on illegal trespassing

One of the rules of ZS is to not talk about illegal stuff. That can be tough because the argument is "if there's no rule of law, then it's not illegal". But still, we don't talk about illegal stuff even in fictional or hypotheticals.

Having said that, say you "purchase" said building as a project to abide in as a cool retro house, there will be a lot of work to get it healthy and safe as was already mentioned by flybynight. Plus, if something happened to make everyone homeless, what is to say other people won't head there as well.

I would also recommend not planning on bugging out to Walmart or the Mall either... for the same reasons. Check out the thread on that by searching for "Bug out to walmart" on this forum. I'm too lazy to find the link
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:07 pm

+1 to Flybynight and Jeepercreeper comments.

If you do not own it there is no way to cache prep supplies there and keep them safe. An empty building is truly worthless without prior preparation. an empty building you do not own or lease is a deathtrap.

A link to the previous referenced Walmart thread.
https://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=13017

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:59 pm

Even if it weren't illegal; an abandoned mental hospital that housed TB patients would be near the bottom of my list of places to hide out in the event of the PAW.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Ellywick

Post by Ellywick » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:42 am

I think my top concern with buying and/or re-locating to an abandoned tuberculosis hospital/asylum for any reason is simply all the horror movie ways you would probably die after re-locating there. I mean, "A man buys and moves his family into a long abandoned asylum" sounds like a the movie synopsis I would see on Netflix for a horror flick.

Here are a few options that spring to my mind: zombies, angry ghosts, people who grew up in the ductwork of the abandoned asylum after it shut down, some terrible mutated form of TB that was left gestating there, some creepy devils reject people who had taken up residence before you, the half-man/half-bear/half-pig experiments left by the crazy docs who experimented on patients. Really, the possibilities are endless!!! :wink:

Seriously, though, I actually work in an hospital that was shut down I believe in the 60s or early 70s and eventually re-opened as an office facility. There has been mostly cosmetic work to update it and all actual hospital equipment has been removed, but nothing else. I chat with the super on a semi-regular basis and (other than the hungry ghosts and experiments living in the ductwork that I know want to viciously murder me one of these nights when I leave the office late) there are LOTS of problems. The building is an old, fickle mistress that constantly demands to be maintenanced. All the infrastructure (from plumbing to heating/ac units, etc) are old and out of date, which means it is a pain in the ass to locate parts to fix anything. And it would take a fortune to bring everything up to date. It also has a ton of entrances which would be hard to secure.

It is hard enough for the super and any people he calls in to keep the building running in a pre-apocalyptic world. I think it would be a nightmare to keep a building running like this in a PAW and it would only be worthwhile in either scenario if you were trying to house a large group of people or community.
"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl..." "You find someone to carry you."

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:51 pm

Previous objections aside, I'd be worried about the vermin that have moved in. Sounds like a great place to find black widows and/or brown recluses, flea-ridden critters, and other such biological concerns.

You could remediate the various issues--people do so in homes regularly--but on the scale of a medical facility that effort seems like it would be prohibitively difficult to DIY and expensive to have done professionally.

Don't take the criticism amiss, though. Props for keeping an eye out for possible bugout locations. Keep your eyes peeled for a little farmhouse or isolated warehouse you might be able to pick up. :) (Warehouse, not industrial site; a lot of old industrial sites are in dire need of soil remediation.)

Barnabus

Post by Barnabus » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:16 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:20 pm
we don't talk about illegal stuff even in fictional or hypotheticals.
have you read the fiction here? several stories have survivors scavening abandoned homes and businesses.
"If you are prepared for a shambling horde of walking corpses that are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for just about anything."

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:42 pm

Barnabus wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:16 pm
JeeperCreeper wrote:
have you read the fiction here? several stories have survivors scavening abandoned homes and businesses.
Right, this is not the fiction forum.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:30 pm

Barnabus wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:
If you would like to write a story and include that as a plot device, by all means, go right ahead and you may publish it in the Fiction area of this site. Otherwise, our rules are crystal clear on what we do not allow discussion on in the remaining areas of the site. Violations of those rules are dealt with sternly.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:50 pm

anhngoc032 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:52 pm
There's an abandoned asylum near where I live that I think would be a good place to bug out at. It's an older asylum, so it has good building-type security already built in(few entrances, barred windows, etc.) I think it's three stories high, and is three basements deep(2 sub-basements). If it could become up and running again it'd make for good sanitation(the bottom floor is a crematorium, as the asylum served as a tuburculosis hospital when tuberculosis was rampant.)

It's big, it's fenced in, and currently it's already boarded up to keep trespassers out, save for only one entrance that can actually still be used.(I guess you could unbarricade the other entrances if you wanted to in the zompocalypse.)

Though, this would probably be the creepiest place to bug out at since it WAS an asylum/sanitarium where a lot of people died.

So... anyone else have any place that sounds good logically, but sounds kind of iffy just because of the kind of building it really is? What do you guys think of this place?
This is a bad idea on every level.

Barnabus

Post by Barnabus » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:57 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:42 pm
Barnabus wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:
i was responding to Creeperjeeper, JeeperCreeper wrote: ↑Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:20 pm
"If you are prepared for a shambling horde of walking corpses that are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for just about anything."

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:51 pm

Barnabus wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:57 pm
Stercutus wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:42 pm
Barnabus wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:
i was responding to Creeperjeeper, JeeperCreeper wrote: ↑Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:20 pm
I meant in "fictional" in the "what-if-make-believe" of the hypotheticals that people try to use to rationalize off limits discussion... not the fiction section.

I should have been more clear.. my bad
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:42 pm

First off... welcome to the Forum!

Second and a repeat, it is good to be aware of what is in and around your area of operation. Keep it up.

Third, try researching the legal aspects of the property to see who owns it. Maybe you can strike a deal to let your "church group" have an occaisional "camp out" in the surrounding property.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”