It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:44 pm 

I was looking up how bad the crime rate was just for giggles, and umm.. Hot Springs is the 2nd most dangerous city? When did that happen? Is neighborhoodscout full of crap?

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/neighb ... dangerous/

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:14 am 

i find that kinda hard to believe. hot springs being more dangerous than little rock. that seems false to me from the times ive been there. but then it has been a few years since ive been to hot springs, maybe they have a small PAW going there all isolated from the rest of the world.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:02 am 

Yeah, I'm gonna have to call BS on that list.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:28 am 

Somehow Fort Smith is #92, and Detroit isn't even on the list? Weird.
Calling bullshit on that...

-fenris-

"How quickly a man takes on the qualities of darkness. Men who live by night; the soldier, the thief, the traveller by night, the vagabond... theirs is a different way of thinking, and they do not fear the dark nor what may come upon them by night because they themselves are of the night, a part of it." ~louis lamour

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:45 am 

I'm from that direction. A lot goes on under the surface. Hot Springs can be rough if you're looking for trouble, but generally speaking, I'd say that the average resident or traveler would be pretty safe walking its streets at night.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:56 am 

There may be a lot under the surface, but one would expect the 100top dangerous cities to include those travelers/visitors should be afraid to walk the street, y'know?
Having been in the hospitals of Little Rock (lately, since my baby's at ACH), and Fort Smith (often since i've lived there my entire life), I can't say that the ER's are all that busy, nor exciting, generally only filled with car-wreck or accident injuries. Likewise, the people that fill the FortSmith pen' are mostly drug/alcohol offenders, and rarely violence related (public intox generally.)

I just in general I think this list is FUBAR, I mean, no Detroit, no Chicago, no NYC, Los Angeles is included, but only referred to as its suburbs, I think... Its almost like the creator of the list is picking on the smaller Large cities...

-fenris-

"How quickly a man takes on the qualities of darkness. Men who live by night; the soldier, the thief, the traveller by night, the vagabond... theirs is a different way of thinking, and they do not fear the dark nor what may come upon them by night because they themselves are of the night, a part of it." ~louis lamour

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:26 am 

Maybe it's just statistics obscuring the truth. ( smaller pop. with some crime, large % )

Here are the lrpd crime stats:

http://www.littlerock.org/citydepartments/police/statistics/reports.aspx

I couldn't find HS's.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:35 pm 

This is from "municipal crime statistics from the FBI and the U.S. Justice Department". That means that the majority of the data isn't from actual crimes/victims, but prosecutions. In some areas you're going to get an irrational amount of 'crime' because police arrest for anything and judges prosecute without evidence. Remember, small town police are not properly trained in what is and isn't actually illegal and judges are appointed/voted for and don't have to have law degrees or really care what is 'legal' or not. Also what is/isn't a crime "legitimately" changes from area to area. For instance, in some places it's a crime to kill a cat or dog, others not. In Arkansas that's a felony. It's also a crime to get a blowjob in Arkansas. Certain areas also have more victim less crimes. The blowjob for instance, but sadly, there are areas where cops/judges are more than happy to pass out jail time/fines for the 'crime' of resisting arrest. Stuff like this doesn't make the information 'wrong', but must be considered keep proper perspective.

America is teh roXor!