It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:20 pm 

Damn...It looks like you all have been busy without me around...CONGRATS! I hated I missed out on the opportunity to get out and meet some of yall, but life stepped in and I took 3 weeks off to be with our new son. Also I doubt the missus would let me go since she is about to pull her hair out this week with a 3 week old and a 14 month old.

Anyway I wanted to pass some information to you and also get some information from you all. Here are some stats
  • We now have 16 people who have stressed interest in our chapter
  • I have info on 11 of those 16 people so I need info on 5 of you
  • Just in the last two months we have had 5 new people come over here and one is now a officer!
I am maintaining a list/spreadsheet of "members" for the AR chapter and I only have info on 11 of you so if you could please visit the thread below and post your information there or pm it to me. I'll be glad to hand this info over to 3 elected people when the time comes, but I don't mind keeping up with it.

Flatlinesup, I would like to take you up on your offer for webspace, we need a place to put files like the one I am creating with people's e-mail and phone so we can make sure we can send out meeting notices and notes to everyone in the chapter for a bit.

Anyway...the names of the people I need info on are:
eatatjoz
squidi
theAntiAnti
magdelaina
young116

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=53018
If I don't hear anything back from you guys in a few weeks, I'll pm ya and try and get it that way. I really think the more people we have from all over our state the better!

On with the chapter thing...I voted and talked with ZS-HQ to have the name switched from nwa chapter to just the ZS-AR chapter to reflect all of us here in AR when we get back up and running...My main reason's for this are numbers. If we ever happen to make the news I would like them to be able to say the "zombie squad chapter of Arkansas has donated time and effort to helping out the cause of xyz. The chapter has 36 people" Instead of "the nwa chapter of arkansas, who has 10 people along with the central zombie squad chapter, who has 13, and the southern chapter, who has 13, all joined up to give a hand to xyz charity today."

The more people in 'one' chapter the better voice, job, coverage, and power we will have. I hate that I had to miss the meeting, like some others, but I think there is a way we can make this work by being one state chapter. I think we should get with Dresden and connect to her ventrillo (spelling) and use voice chat to communicate a quick meeting to get NWA on the same page. This may come down to another vote, but I think it's best to include everyone.

As far as the cleanup goes, I may have plans during the weekend you have it scheduled for already depending on when it falls a month from now. But I thought of a way to increase the people that can come without you having to do too much...
I'm not sure if you all are into geocaching or not (the game that uses GPS receivers to find tupperware in the woods) but we number in the hundreds here in AR. If you can tap into that pool of people to come clean up you'll have a better turnout. All it takes is a geocaching.com account (which is free) and host what is called a CITO event on the same day. What a CITO stands for is Cach In Trash Out which is a special way for the geocaching community to clean an area up and have fun. I would be glad to help you with this endevor, but one of you closer to the event will have to do the actual "hosting" cause of mileage restrictions by geocaching.com. Did I mention if you make it a potluck, the geocachers make some great Food!

We (my wife and I with the help of the geocachers) hosted a CITO event for the national forest service and the turnout was around 20-30 people all coming and going. We coordinated with the NFS and they gave us trashbags, vests, gloves, etc to help with our endeavor. I and a few others got with local business to donate things like gift cards, coupons, and merchandise to be used as door prizes at the event. We ended up having like 2 cracker barrel $20 gift cert, a half dozen online vendor gift certificates, a handful of coupons for free drinks and such at local fast foods, a 30 cal and a 50 cal ammo can, a $100 grand prize for a full 7 person raft rental at the creek area we cleaned...and a ton of others. By the time the drawing came around about 1 we had about 18 people and I think everyone won something because we had to put the names back in the hat and draw again. Here is an example of one happening this weekend in MO
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... wp=GC21XR9

Again, I have covered a lot of topics in this thread and I look forward to reading your replies
Have a great day!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:53 pm 

I have no issues with a combined Arkansas group. Some concerns were raised about meetings and obligations however. If we could keep the state together to remain in the good graces of ZS, I don't see where there would be a problem besides distance.
Likewise, I don't see a problem in joining up with a Geocache group. There may very likely be similar interests and could cause our little group to expand while we learn from each other and benefit the community at the same time.

One thing that came up during the meeting is that I am currently a hold up due to not having a membership. I'm trying to alleviate the issue though and will forward my information.

Congrats on the new addition BTW!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:11 am 

Congrats on the little one, post up some pics when you can

Please accept my bluntness as a method of getting things done more efficiently and not a vehicle to piss folks off, nor any type of north vs central vs south power struggle.

I'm for either a statewide group or split up groups either way. The only thing I have issue with is dead weight and inequality of a group.
We initially discussed having a central meeting for everyone in AR. That got changed to 2 meetings by consensus of the active folks that were interested in coming, and talk of having two groups was introduced in those threads saying that the two groups could get together every once in a while.

The central group met with good turnout. To meet the requirements for a ZS Chapter we met, got a contact list made, decided on officers, and decided on a work day to volunteer our time. We still haven’t seen/heard anything from the northern AR group about their meet.

The reason I bring this up in this way: I really don't want to see the bulk of the active folks being based around LR while there are a few folks up north that "may" be willing to be active, and the bulk of folks having to drive multiple hours out of the way for meetings just for the sake of a few, which will lead to inactivity that might possibly be a lot more if the group were more localized.

I'm for either way, but I just want it done a little logically and fairly to the folks that are going to be active, not just voice an opinion online, or show up to 1 out of 10 meetings (based on other groups I've been part of, not in this instance).

I think we should have general plan of action and get the group together to decide on officers and a project. That was the purpose of the first meeting (weather it statewide or individual group), then apply for ZS Chapterhood.

So, if we are going to try for an entire state group, then the orig meeting(s) including any officer decisions and projects were invalidated and we need to start back over from square one.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:04 am 

The NWA was held as planned, I've just posted a summary of it. I was waiting to hear back from HQ about the reactivation process before posting with our ideas, but since its been a week I've gone ahead.

So far we have 16 people interested here, 6 were in attendance (including myself). Only three of those would be able to regularly attend state-wide meetings and events, but several of us have strong connections in the Fayetteville/Rogers area and with them could host several events a year. Right now we are in the process of confirming a venue for a ZombieCrawl/Movie night, a Stand by the Farmers Market for gardening/self sufficiency info and seedling sales, and working out details for a food drive.

We prefer a split chapter setup. We'd lose 13 people, and none of the events we've set into motion could happen with a statewide group. I'm still OK with regular collaboration, but we lose a lot of opportunity with a consolidation. As far as numbers in the press goes, most news stations try to be as concise as possible, so I imagine they will avoid the detailed break down.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:47 pm 

Well I am glad that things are rolling. I am sad though to hear there will be two chapters...There are several organizations like Arkansas Canoe Club, Arkansas Crawlers, Arkansas Geocachers Association, etc that are state wide and do well by splitting it up "internally" to meet their goals.

Just keeping this in discussion, why could we not have one Arkansas umbrella organization that has branches? For example
We pick a state wide pres, vp, and treasurer
then we allow the other parts to do their own thing and report every couple of months to the state wide committee.
The examples could be
River Valley Arkansas
Central Arkansas
Southern Arkansas
and even the famed NW Arkansas

As someone in our forum will be eventually given some moderator ability, we could set up subforums for each section. Then we can all participate in one Ar-ZS. The reason I keep saying this is there are times it would be worth it to drive to LR for a big meet n greet and there would be times I would want to stay local.

Please everyone give it some thought to see if the idea will grow on you.

Thanks everyone for the welcoming of our new little guy. I 'll get so me pictures up soon. I've finding it hard to balance so many things in life, but I guess that is what makes life kinda fun.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:30 pm 

I wouldn't worry very much about the difference between one AR chapter or more, just focus on meeting people and having a good time. The logistics will fall into place when there's enough people who come together regularly.

America is teh roXor!