It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hiking
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:19 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I'm headed out to the Butterfield Trail in Devil's Den on September 12th with my friend and my brother. We plan on taking it easy and finishing by the 14th.
Has anyone here hiked that trail?

"People tend to not prepare until it is too late.. We live in a society that believes it is beneath them to do for themselves. Self-sufficiency was the dream of people escaping tyranny and poverty... The American dream is now luxury and convenience. Anything else is squalor, antisocial-insanity or amusing and pitiable eccentricity at best."

Post subject: Re: Hiking
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:55 pm 

I've done Devil's Den, careful going there because of all the rain we've had lately if you're planning a trip to the caves. Pack a few good flashlights, some batteries, some chemlights, and a good rope.

I usually try to do Devil's Den sometime before the rains start in October, go up there, have the girlfriend just leave me there and drop off the radar for a week or so.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:56 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Rain, rain, rain... this will be fun.

"People tend to not prepare until it is too late.. We live in a society that believes it is beneath them to do for themselves. Self-sufficiency was the dream of people escaping tyranny and poverty... The American dream is now luxury and convenience. Anything else is squalor, antisocial-insanity or amusing and pitiable eccentricity at best."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:54 pm 

Hope everything goes ok, I'd really think of postponing it in lue of what is going to be happening with Ike over the weekend. Next weekend is supposed to be really nice....actually, I wish I could be off work Friday and Monday, I've been itching for another one of my excursions.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:57 pm 

did you make the hike? if so, how did it go?

America is teh roXor!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:11 pm 

If he doesn't answer before the weekend is over...I think a search party is in order.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:03 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

We made it fine. The hurricane blew in the night of the day we got back. Pretty bad storm. I'm glad we decided to not stay out in it. Pushed over a lot of trees around here.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:41 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

So, has anyone ever hiked the Ouachita National Recreation trail? It's about 189 miles long, goes through the Ouachita's. Sounds fun...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:36 pm 

Heckedy Peg wrote:
So, has anyone ever hiked the Ouachita National Recreation trail? It's about 189 miles long, goes through the Ouachita's. Sounds fun...

Not yet. I've done part of the Ozark Highland Trail though. It's amazing!

ZS Fleet #0065

"Medical authorities in Cumberland have concluded that in all cases, the killers are eating the flesh of the people they kill."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:46 pm 

I've not done all of the Quachita trail before, but the whole Quachita State Park area is all of about 10 minutes away from where I was born, so I've been all around that area and the lakes.

I've got vacation coming sometime in early November (my favorite time of the year if it is dry), I'm planning on spending a few days out in the wilderness with my bug-out gear...I cannot wait.