It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Canada Day Campout 2012
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:16 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

We will be doing a Canada Day weekend camp-out/mock bugout.

It will be located near Belleville ON. If you are interested you need to e-mail zsc003@zombiehunters.org to register with your name, zs forum name (if any. you DO have a forum account right? If not how are you reading this?) e-mail address and phone number, more information to follow.

This will be a weekend of Camping, Camraderie, Seminars, and hopefully, bad zombie movies. Event will run from Saturday June 30 in the morning to Noon on Monday July 2.

Zimmy wrote:
Intelligent safety conscious fireman snuffing telekinetic golems?
Our heroes are doomed without Gyrojet pistols firing antimatter tipped rockets!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:07 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

c'mon out people!

This is going to be a great opportunity to test your bug out setup in a remote location. Get together and meet some new friends, or catch up with some old ones, and share some knowledge!

I know that at least 2 of us attending are experienced campers, and I will be brining a bow and offering archery practice and info. If there is anything else you would like to see for this weekend, let me know, either on here, or in PM, and I will do my best to make it happen!!

Cheers!
Adam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:17 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Also: I have a fair bit of loaner gear. I've got 2 extra tents, a couple sleeping bags, and all sorts of other things. All you have to say is "I want to go" (and not be working that weekend) and i will do my best to make it happen. Carpools can be arranged. Gear can be loaned. Time and space can be torn asunder. Just come out!

Zimmy wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:57 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

If we're doing some archery, I'll dig my bow out. It's been too long since I used it, good reason to tune it up.

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:08 am 

I'm looking forward to this. What about firearms? Even if we can't shoot them, I'd be willing to bring a few of my non-restricted down for "show and tell" type introductions. I'd also be willing to do a seminar on bushcraft/wilderness survival. Can I bring my BOD (Bug Out Dog) Brutus? He's an extremely friendly and energetic black labrador. He's great with other animals, kids, adults, you name, it.

roscoe wrote:
.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:06 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

mantis wrote:
I'm looking forward to this. What about firearms? Even if we can't shoot them, I'd be willing to bring a few of my non-restricted down for "show and tell" type introductions. I'd also be willing to do a seminar on bushcraft/wilderness survival. Can I bring my BOD (Bug Out Dog) Brutus? He's an extremely friendly and energetic black labrador. He's great with other animals, kids, adults, you name, it.

I too would offer to bring a few non-restricted firearms, with Adam's permission. I was going to send him a pm this evening to ask about it, but since mantis brought it up ... I was thinking even a show & tell would be cool for some of the members who were at the last Toronto meeting who were talking/asking about taking the PAL course.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:31 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Hi Guys.

I'm going to have to say no to the firearms for this first event. Not that I don't trust you guys, or that I am not interested in seeing the jewels of your collections, but I have some concerns about the neighboring properties, and the wildlife authorities, as well as the long hike into the site. I hope you guys understand :?

The dog will be more than welcome, as long as I have your assurance that he is fine with people, and will not go after the wildlife in the area. :)

Anybody that brings knowledge to the table will be MORE than welcome to give a talk/seminar! :)

I am hoping to improve the trail into the site, and potentially turn this into a regular thing! Towards that end, we now have an outhouse on the site, and I'm working on bridges at the difficult portions of trail. But please understand that I am mostly doing this on my own (mostly, thanks Aleks!) and on zero budget. So, keep in mind that at this time, anything you want to bring will need to be carried in on your back.

There is a fire pit at the site, as well as a platform that can be used for food prep, etc. I will be bringing in bottled water for drinking, as well as a large container of clean water for cooking and washing.

I'm thinking about a communal meal sat, as we will all be busy setting up our camps, and then each of us on our own to provide our own meals from our preps for the rest of the weekend. Does this sound about right to you guys?

cheers
Adam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:49 am 

Sounds good to me! I'll definitely bring Brutus along. He's a typical lab - everyone he meets is his new best friend especially if they pet/feed him! I like to say that he's aggressively friendly.

Understand about the firearms...I'll leave them at home. Does that also apply to air guns? I was thinking that even with a couple of air pistols, we could teach some basic handgun marksmanship and safe handling.

Just out of curiosity, how far in is the walk? I think I'll be going the "Mountain House" route as far as food goes! - light and easy to carry. Also, have you tried to locate the site on Google Earth? It might be neat to have a sat image of the immediate area - it would at least show major trails. tree clusters, clearings, etc.

roscoe wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:13 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

check yer inbox Mantis!

Great ideas starting to flow here, let's keep the discussion going!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:58 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Mantis is beating me to asking the questions I put in my email to Aleks.

I too understand about the firearm concerns, and will leave them at home. My biggest interest was to test them in an Eberlestock pack I have on order which I intend to pack as an INCH bag, but it almost definitely won't be shipped before the first of July, so I'll make do with my boring old kit.

I understand the pains of clearing a trail, but a group of people loaded down with kit is a good way to work in the ground.

I'm interested in the pot luck/communal dinner on Saturday, we're meeting around noon, so lunch on the road? (seems like a cop out to stop at Subway on the way to the MBO) Do we have a ballpark number at this time?

P.S. Weather network 14 day outlook says low-mid 20s and mostly sun, but that's never right. :mrgreen:

ETA: P.S.S. Adam, If you're packing in that much water, I'm guessing there's no source to filter near the site?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:52 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

BullOnParade wrote:
I understand the pains of clearing a trail, but a group of people loaded down with kit is a good way to work in the ground.

True enough, but the size of group we ar looking at wont beat down the trees that are in the way, LOL!

BullOnParade wrote:

ETA: P.S.S. Adam, If you're packing in that much water, I'm guessing there's no source to filter near the site?

There are no sources of moving water within walking distance of the camp, and I have not as yet dug the well, so for wash and cooking water, I will be hauling it in from an artesian well about 10 miles from the site.

Things have been a bit delayed this week, and I have not gotten as much work done as I had hoped because I snapped an upper ball joint in my jeep :vmad:
But we should still be in good shape to have at least the bassic amenities in place at the campsite by the weekend.

cheers!
Adam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:13 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

canuckdiver wrote:
BullOnParade wrote:

True enough, but the size of group we ar looking at wont beat down the trees that are in the way, LOL!

I take that as a challenge. 8-)

What kind of numbers are we looking at anyways?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:42 pm 

This is going to be a great weekend. I'll be there with my "bug out dog" Brutus the "agressively friendly" Labrador Retriever. Brutus, being a typical Labrador retriever considers everyone he meets to be his new best friend - especially if you pet him or feed him!

I'm also going to bring my bug out gear consisting of an Arktis load bearing vest with hydration pack and a matching CADPAT ruck sack. Since firearms are out for this trip, I've cleared it with Adam to bring some air pistols and an air rifle (realistic ones) to do some firearm safety/handling/marksmanship training - especially for anyone who wants to get, but does not yet have their PAL. I will also try to pass along some of the bush-craft wisdom that I picked up way back in my time in the forces (reserves).

roscoe wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:09 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I think six or seven of our people and two michiganers will be there

Zimmy wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:09 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Picked up my mountain house foods tonight, as well as a few pieces of gear I didn't really need, but thought it would be fun to have anyways :rofl:.

I'm getting pretty excited for this, it's been too long since I've been out with a group.

ETA: Do we have a loose itinerary I can leave with someone? How's the cell reception? Any guidance on Saturday's pot luck? I assume there are no fire bans in the area at this time (it would really suck to have a fire get out of control when we have limited water).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:33 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

BullOnParade wrote:
I take that as a challenge. 8-)

Please do!! I will even supply the chainsaw!!!! ROFL

Yes, I need to know how many "survivors" will be showing up so I can get food ready for saturday.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:42 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

BullOnParade wrote:

ETA: Do we have a loose itinerary I can leave with someone? How's the cell reception? Any guidance on Saturday's pot luck? I assume there are no fire bans in the area at this time (it would really suck to have a fire get out of control when we have limited water).

I am not sure about itinerary, Aleks will need to coordinate when he gets back for the people coming in. I will be at the site saturday morning to greet "survivors" as they arrive, I think he was shooting to get there shortly after lunch. We were planning on packing up sometime monday morning.

Cell phone reception is pretty good, I will have my cell with me, as well as a couple of FRS type radios to help coordinate between the parking area and the campsite.

For the "pot luck" pretty much anything goes, as long as you want to carry it ;) I will be supplying hot dogs, and possibly some salads. Other than that, what could you carry away in a grid-down/bugout situation :?:

no fire bans at this time. There is water at the site for things like fire control, just not clean enough for drinking.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:45 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Just to let people know, this WILL be happening, whether we have 1 or 100 show up. But if we have confirmations from the people that will definitely be showing up, it will make planning easier (things like food and water).

cheers!
Adam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:04 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

For the time being we're playing with 7 as a loose number. I suggest we try and show up between 9am and noon on saturday, work our way in and get set up. I have a mess kit that can do some impressive stuff, i was thinking of a junk in a pot curry. I'll make a nice spicy curry with fish and rice enough for everyone, and we add whatever items others bring to it. Veggies and meats are preferable, but we can do a lot of things with it. I can brings ome fresh loaves of bread to go with it too. Was an absolute hit at zcon on saturday. It's colloquially known as "Shit in a pot" curry, both because you use up any random food (shit) that folks still have, and because of the result later that day. :p

Zimmy wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:10 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I'm in for sure, and I still have an open offer for transportation for anyone in the GTA. I also have a bit of extra camping gear (pack/sleeping bag/tent if there's anyone lurking who feels they aren't equipped enough, I'm sure we could load out someone for the weekend (send me a PM for requests).

I'm going to pack in smores for Saturday nights pot luck.

ETA: thanks for the warning on the curry, I'll stock the FAK with Imodium.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:45 am 

Unfortunately, it looks like I may be forced to cancel out on this. I woke up this morning with a hell of a rotten tooth ache. I am off to see the dentist to see what he can do. Unless he can do something to give me some pain relief (possibly do the root canal that I probably need) today, I'm not going to be able to make it. There is no way I could stand being out in that heat in severe pain - I would not have a good time. I still hope to be able to make it but if not, best of luck to you guys and I'll plan on being at the next event for sure.

roscoe wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:24 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

It is under full tree cover and the heat is really not much of an issue. I hope you recover quickly, will still send out the directions to you with everyone else in the next couple hours.

Zimmy wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:45 am 

Horatio_Tyllis wrote:
It is under full tree cover and the heat is really not much of an issue. I hope you recover quickly, will still send out the directions to you with everyone else in the next couple hours.

Not so much the heat as it is the searing pain in my jaw!

roscoe wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:58 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I thought that's what alcohol and man the fuck up were for? :p but seriously I hope it's an easy one. I'd love to see you out.

Zimmy wrote: